Shifting and vibration issues with my "new" '06 V
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Shifting and vibration issues with my "new" '06 V in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; ...
    mhemsley is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS V

Shifting and vibration issues with my "new" '06 V

Iíve had my í06 CTS V for two months now, and Iíve put about 5000 miles on it. Iíve learned a number of things, the most important of which is that itís a very good think this one came with a Luxury Warranty. It appears that there were a few things the previous owner failed to mention about the car. So far, the warranty has provided me with a new clutch master cylinder and a new harmonic balancer, but Iíve still got some issues with the car. Donít get me wrong, itís a very cool car, but I have some questions for you folks who have had their cars longer than I have.

First, about that shifter Ė I pooh-poohed comments about the shifter when I was looking for a car. Geez, Iíd owned a Lotus Europe and 4 Alfas with transaxles Ė how much worse could the V shifter be? Well, the answer appears to be quite a bit, if my experience is common.

At first, the only issue was operator error, or so I thought. The gates were a bit hard to find. Then they got very hard to find and I got some grinding. Thatís when I discovered that the clutch fluid reservoir was empty. I filled it and got the car to the dealer Ė new clutch master cylinder. Iíve gotten better finding the gears on the way up (although not always with 5th and 6th), but downshifting sometimes requires double clutching. I have even gotten a graunch on occasion, especially if I try to skip a gear on the way down. I know I read something about not being able to skip gears at certain rpms, but Iíve not found it again in the manual. Is this typical behavior? If not, is it a common problem with a fix that the dealer has not mentioned? Iím not a novice with standard transmissions, having driven performance cars with sticks (including racing sports cars) since 1966. I currently have three cars with a total of 17 forward gears.

My second issue is vibration. I brought this to the attention of the dealer and was told ďtest drove vehicle, normal, operating within GM specs.Ē They replaced the harmonic balancer, which was obviously no longer balancing, but the vibrations I complained about are still there. When cold, there is quite a driveline vibration starting at about 1200 rpm. I first noticed this the morning after I bought the car (it was warm when I test drove it). I called the previous owner, and he denied any knowledge of a driveline vibrationÖhmmm. When warm and in 6th gear at 2000+ rpm (cruising speed), there is enough vibration that the inside rear view mirror vibrates enough that I can not make out what kind of car is behind me. If I let off the gas, the mirror stabilizes. And Iíve not noticed it at other than highway cruising speed. I know this ainít my grandfathers Cadillac, but are these vibrations normal?

I look forward to whatever advice you V-experts can provide me. I really like this car, and the warranty is good until August 2012 or for the next 37,000 miles. Iíd certainly prefer that GM fix these issues if they are in fact issues.

Thanks!

Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Houdini is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MT, 2007 CTS-V (Sold)

Re: Shifting and vibration issues with my "new" '06 V

Is the vibration only in 6th gear? If so, it could be the trans and there was a tsb about that a long while back (but I thought it was only for 04s). Also, your driveshaft may need indexed.

As for the shifting, you shouldn't be having those issues. Are you sure your clutch fluid was fully flushed? Are your motor mounts shot?

kevm14 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray CTS-V

How about the flywheel? It seems to be last in the diagnosis path with strange vibrations.

Heavybody is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V and 94 SLS

I used to have trouble getting into first and it was difficult to skip gears in my 04... Replaced the motor mounts and trans mount with the creative steel ones and those issues are all but gone!

I have started to get the drive line vibrations you are talking about recently and i am looking to solve that problem myself! From what i can gather here the stock flywheel is to blame...

Skidmarcx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE!

I agree with the others... I have the same vibration around 1200 rpm... I believe it's the heavy flywheel... and shifting issues can be improved by replacing your motor mounts... I too have the Creative Steel mounts and it's worth the money. Perhaps one or more of your factory mounts are worn and can be replaced under warranty.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

See

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post2580840

Sixth gear in the Tremec is a known weakness. If the vibration at highway speeds is caused by sixth gear itself the vibration will not occur in fifth gear at the same speed. Ironically, failure from this sixth gear weakness is most likely to occur in cars that are driven conservatively such that sixth gear is frequently used at low speeds.

kevm14 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray CTS-V

That's what Tremec says, but if you had synchro failures, they'd say you were beating on it too hard. So I'm not totally buying it. Although if the trans WAS susceptible to some kind of inadequate-lubrication-based problem in 6th at low rpm, it will be more common on these cars since the monster dual mass flywheel (and shorter gearing) makes it feel, well, perfectly fine to drive around at 1000rpm.

Sorry for the delay in replying - busy weekend. Thankfully, most of it is pleasurable.

I've done some checks and here is some additional information:

Clutch fluid - I don't know if the fluid was completely flushed. I would assume that any competent mechanic would do that, but that said....

Motor mounts - the previous owner said the mounts had been recently replaced, but I can't find that in the records I have. I'll go through the records again and jack the car up to see if there is any fluid visible.

Vibration in neutral - there is some vibration in neutral when I rev it, but it's nothing I'd not expect from this car.

Vibration at speed - at 70+ mph in 6th, the rearview mirror vibrates. At the same speed in 5th gear, the rearview mirror is fine.

I suspect I need to have the dealer check a few things under this Luxury Warranty. Gotta admit, I feel a bit used by the previous owner, but I can only blame myself - the warranty seduced me.

Thanks for your comments so far, and I look forward to your continued analysis.

Ciao,

Mike

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by mhemsley View Post
    Vibration at speed - at 70+ mph in 6th, the rearview mirror vibrates. At the same speed in 5th gear, the rearview mirror is fine.
    I do not know what your warranty covers, but I think your transmission needs work - at least sixth gear if not some other things.

Skidmarcx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE!

Mine vibrates at freeway speeds... I'm assuming it's the driveline balance... in 5th gear it's better, but the load and frequency on the driveline is different at that point.

I've got a Luxury Warranty, which is why I bought the car without doing due diligence...sigh. It actually covers nearly everything that's not a normal wear item. So far they've replaced the clutch master cylinder and harmonic balancer - and that's just for me. There were a lot of other repairs done at no cost in the past.

So the warranty will cover anything that goes wrong with the car for another 15 months or 35,000 miles. For example, I believe it will replace my CD player if it croaks. It will certainly replace anything in the driveline that goes wrong.

Mike

mberisha is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 Black Escalade AWD & '06 Black CTS-V

you are correct on the CD player...I have the same warranty...really nice....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.