What sensor controls the oil life meter
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, What sensor controls the oil life meter in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Just pulled the car out of storage for the winter and did my normal routine of changing the oil putting ...
    Mallett Hammer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

What sensor controls the oil life meter

Just pulled the car out of storage for the winter and did my normal routine of changing the oil putting fresh gas in it and checking all the vitals. After changing the oil about a 100 miles later the change oil light came on. I thought it was strange being that I just changed the oil. So first thing I did was check the oil pressure gauge....cause I was driving when it triggered. Upon arriving at my destination I checked the dipstick and the level was normal and oil still looked cleaner than ever. I have tried resetting it and disconnecting the battery to see if it would reset, but neither of those things fixed the issue. Now I am thinking that whatever sensor controls the oil life meter might be faulty. What sensor controls that?

Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. - After I get this last little kink worked out and fixed I am thinking that the car is going to go up for sale. Other than that little glitch the car runs just as I remembered...and man did I miss it all winter. I just took a new job and will begin consistently traveling and won't really have the time to drive and really appreciate this awesome car. Stay tuned for the for sale ad that will be posted late next week.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

POS VETT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: What sensor controls the oil life meter

Umm, there is no sensor for oil life meter. The PCM uses a set of algorithms to calculate the remaining oil life.

There is a procedure to reset it which I can't remember now (but might be as easy as displaying the meter and hit reset). Disconnecting battery doesn't reset it. RTFM.

rlj5 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 ProCharged cts-V -Silver on Black

on the info screen "oil life" push the reset & hold in down till it resets to 100%........ Sometimes I've had to hold it for 10-15 seconds before it would reset
    F1-A ProCharged LS2/402 Forged w/AFR 225 heads & Fast 92mm intake |Meth | 1-7/8" kooks w/ Corsa |Stage V Trans by RPM w/ 9" Ford IRS |UUC Shifter |Msd shift lite |custom gauge pod w/dual interceptor scan gauges w/wide band |launch control |Line lock |Hre C-20 wheels |GY gsd3's 255/40/18 front & M/T 305/35/18 DR |Kw Coilovers
    Built & Tuned by EPP---------- 864 rwhp / 812 rwtq
    9" IRS built & installed by---- Madman Racing
    http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/r...view=slideshow

Aurora40 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by POS VETT View Post
    (but might be as easy as displaying the meter and hit reset)
    It is that easy.

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

Also, motor oil should be changed before the car is put into storage.

Mallett Hammer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by POS VETT View Post
    Umm, there is no sensor for oil life meter. The PCM uses a set of algorithms to calculate the remaining oil life.

There is a procedure to reset it which I can't remember now (but might be as easy as displaying the meter and hit reset). Disconnecting battery doesn't reset it. RTFM.
    Thats really interesting. I wonder what factors it looks at to try and determine the engine oil life? It would have to gather some sort of data from other sensors. Oil temp / oil pressure / miles you've driven / and probably a few others.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora40 View Post
    It is that easy.
    Indeed it was that easy I just had to sit and hold it for a really long time. Took probably 15 seconds. I never remembered it taking that long.

[QUOTE=Also, motor oil should be changed before the car is put into storage.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100% with you and I do change it before I put it in storage. When I change it before I put it away I substitute 1 quart of oil for Lucas fully synthetic oil stabilizer and drive it for say 100 miles before it goes away. That oil stabilizer does a great job lubricating the upper portions of the engine and puts a "protective film" on those parts. Upon pulling it from storgae I put another 100 miles on it then I change the oil back to just Mobil 1. I've always done this with all the cars I've owned and it has done wonders. ;-)

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Mallett Hammer View Post
    Thats really interesting. I wonder what factors it looks at to try and determine the engine oil life? It would have to gather some sort of data from other sensors. Oil temp / oil pressure / miles you've driven / and probably a few others. ...
    Now, I've heard that instead of some sophisticated algorithm, GM found that simply counting sparkplug firings (maybe just one cylinder for simplicity) was sufficient to correlate with oil life. Apparently, those other parameters that affect it like temperature, average load (i.e. throttle opening), etc. must not vary significantly to worry about.

Mind you, that's what I've heard.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.