A V1 viewpoint on the 2011 base car (loaner) [LONG]
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, A V1 viewpoint on the 2011 base car (loaner) [LONG] in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; So I succumbed to a passenger airbag warning light and sail panel blowout, decided to take her in under warranty...despite ...
    DarthVadersV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V, Black

Post A V1 viewpoint on the 2011 base car (loaner) [LONG]

So I succumbed to a passenger airbag warning light and sail panel blowout, decided to take her in under warranty...despite purchasing a Major Guard for my 2007 V (32k miles), the idea of driving without passenger airbag made me nervous for my fiance. Covert here in Austin gave me a 3L base loaner, figured I'd offer a few impressions.

Interior:

Nice, very nice...what a leap. The materials are a step up, the fit/finish feels very tight, and the storage space is much more useable. Already being in this car makes me worry about squeaks/rattles/plastics on my V, and the pleather/leather dash leaves me green with envy. Overall it feels like an early 2000's Lexus IS, and the excellent stereo completes the package that screams nice family car. Everything was just thought out better, and my passengers will miss the rear HVAC vents. Definitely can see the break from what I consider 90/2000's Caddy interior to the new GM standard.

The LCD temperature readouts are a very nice touch, but beyond the materials/quality it feels like a smaller, more driver-oriented car. Call me crazy but there's less room to move about up front and the same crappy angle of the dead pedal is alive and werll.

Give me this interior in my V1 and I'd be buying LS2 spark plugs until I was limited to my walker

Performance:

The engine is a change of pace from the V, I forget how powerful 400HP and a table-top torque curve is compared to a higher-revving V6. The 3L pulls well enough when you get on it and reach the rev band, it'd be fine for a family car. Where it falls down is the transmission, slow kick-downs and worthless manual mode make remember why I hate autos for cars. I actually prefer the CVT in my Fiance's Rogue to this pile of poop, keep it in gear though the and engine is nice.

Handling is excellent, I feel more comfortable flinging it around turns due to the complete lack of worry about oversteer. The steering wheel is smaller which encourages this, and the sight-lines seem better over the hood...though I much prefer the V1's wide-angle mirrors to these cubist reflective pukes...too tall, but probably great for viewing the Washington Monument as you drive away.

Overall I feel more comfortable flicking it around, which is a testament to both the excellent suspension on such a big car plus my utter respect for the LS2 in my V that can break loose the (sadly installed) all seasons easily. Won't win any drag races, but my mind shifts over to jamming to XM BPM with an elbow on the door and a determine look in my eye...I'm cruising baby, New-Caddy-Style.

Design:

Looks larger, which it is a little bit and I appreciate the "non Lincoln portholes" slits in the fenders. MUCH better base design than the Gen 1 was, lack of cheap plastic slats across the front and all the LED love in the rear makes it look more high tech...but just like the V1 I see myself coming and going a lot, more power to the General but miss the street cred urban assault feel I get from driving a black V1 around with its chrome braces and cleaner lines.

Overall:

I could see this being my family sedan, but I'm glad I stuck with my hunch on getting a used V1 vs a newer 3.6L CTS for similar dollars (heavily discounted from a local GM dealer.) Where the Gen 2 excels in refinement, quietness and more appropriate interior...I find myself missing the guilty pleasure of rowing a manly (albeit loose and heavy) gearbox, fighting the urge to express that throaty small block growl, and "I'm all motor, handling and hairy balls sucka" feel that comes with the rough edges of my V1. The worries on interior squeaks/rattles can wait for a future state and I'm trying not to even think about gas mileage. I never saw a leather stitched dash on Darth Vader's Tie Fighter, it was all business and I've decided that's how I like my Cadillacs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

kevm14 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray CTS-V

Re: A V1 viewpoint on the 2011 base car (loaner) [LONG]

I got a loaner 2010 CTS with that high revving 3.0 (270hp @ 7000rpm on 87 octane!). Your last paragraph is an exact representation of my thoughts when I drove it and compared it to my V1 when I got it back. Though I didn't care for the window switches on a steep angle on the door panel, the rest of the interior was very nice (my car had no nav, heated seats or bluetooth).

It was a really nice car and the FE2 suspension was an amazing ride/handling compromise for everyday driving with a little sport injected. I also made the same comment about owning one as a family sedan. While driving I was very confident with it and it had a very solid feel that I liked. Yet I also mirror your feelings about when you got back into your car. It fit like a broken in pair of sneakers, I guess you could say.

tweeter81 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Great writeup, and well said! These kinds of real-world comparos are very interesting to me.

Dan_Gurney is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 - CTS-V

I had almost the exact same experience when they replaced the rear in mine. It is a nice car (although window sticker in the trunk of mine was $50000...) and would be great for soembody wanting a nice family car, but it's no V.

jcollege is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Raven CTS-V

My V is at the dealer getting the motor mounts and rear diff bushings replaced, they hooked me up with a DTS, talk about a change of pace from the V!

mberisha is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 Black Escalade AWD & '06 Black CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by jcollege View Post
    My V is at the dealer getting the motor mounts and rear diff bushings replaced, they hooked me up with a DTS, talk about a change of pace from the V!
    "......laaaaaaa-aid back....w/my mind on my money....and my money on my mind...."

JDB
    JDB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 Raven/Ebony CTS-V with toys

Agreed. I've had my V in for work under CPO over the last year, and have had the new 3L CTS and DTS. I almost didn't want to give back the CTS for daily commuting. I love the new interiors, which is still a step down from my prior '01.5 Audi A4 1.8TQ. Caddy definitely stepped up over the V1, tho. I want the DTS a/c seats for my hair balled V1 ;-) ...especially if they came in Recaros!!

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

A guy in a 3.6L Camaro ran an 11.96 a few weeks back.

AAIIIC is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Do the dealers pull the 3.6L and throw in a 3.0L to make regular CTSs into loaner cars?
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Most CTS I see are base engine. When I see one on the road, I pay attention the embzzz. Even most CTS4 are base.

AAIIIC is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Huh. Seems like just about every car I've seen was the 3.6L, but maybe I'm not looking at the right embzzzz.

Fasciaguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV

Enjoyable read and when I first saw the interior of the 2nd gen CTS I felt the same way. Much nicer and well laid out instruments. I recently rode in the CTSV coupe and felt that was much closer to being sports car as they loose two of the doors chop the roof down 4 inches and sweep the roof line back in almost a hatchback type design.
    The car is a blast to drive and quickly reminds me that my V is 7 years old. The refinements are abundant. The back seat is basically worthless unless its for your 7 yr old child. But not much different than a Nissan 350 or Audi TT. Overall I would love to have one but again will have to wait until someone else eats some of the initial new car value and drops the starting price of $70k+ down to something a little more reasonable.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.