3rd Gear Issue
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, 3rd Gear Issue in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Okay for starters my car has 56k miles and I have had my PISSNUOFF short with UUC bushings throw installed ...
    mcline86 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 Black CTS-V

3rd Gear Issue

Okay for starters my car has 56k miles and I have had my PISSNUOFF short with UUC bushings throw installed for a couple months now.

My car is starting to give me quite a bit of trouble downshifting into 3rd gear, which it never had issues with before. If im doing about 65-70 on the highway and want to downshift to 3rd to pass someone (or accept someones challange on the highway haha) it will not go into 3rd anymore.

It doesnt grind or anything, if i push extremly hard it will go into gear. Its never had this issue before nor has it ever had the common issue of not getting into 1st either.

It really only seems to do this when downshifting from 6th to 3rd or 5th to 3rd, it will go 4th to 3rd like butter.

ALSO tranny fluid was changed at 42k

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

wcryan is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V Maggied

Re: 3rd Gear Issue

check your UUC bushings. On my car they did not fit too we'll and started slipping out of the metal holders. that would be my first guess

garrettg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V | 07 Aprilia Tuono R

I see the same issue at times and during a track day it became really difficult to downshift into third. Since then I have changed the trans fluid to amsoil but still seeing the issue.

repenttokyo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

when was the last time you bled your clutch?

mstrjon32 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): NONE

Is it easier if you double-clutch the shift?

If i double clutch it still does it. If i REALLY push it will go into 3rd but it doesnt feel very good pushing it that hard. I have never bleed my clutch, but when i bought the car at 42k miles they did change the clutch fluid.

Maybe like a month ago or even less i sucked out the dirty clutch fluid in the reservoir and put some fresh fluid in, was i supposed to bleed it after that?

Im gunna head outside and take the shifter knob and boot off to see if theres anything going on with the UUC bushings, im hoping its something simple like that.

Wow.....Just removed my boot and the top bracket above my shifter. My bushings were fine and still in place. The 2 1/4-20 bolts that were supplied with the PISSNUOFF shifter that replaced the rivets were there, but the locknut and nut underneath were gone on both bolts. Im thinking this may have been the culprit.

The white plastic peice that clips onto the white pivot ball seems kind of loose, It isnt falling off but it isnt super tight. I dont remember if it was this way when i first installed the shifter or something got messed up when these nuts fell off.

Anyone remember if that white clip that goes over the pivot ball is kinda wobbly or is it supposed to be pretty tight?

Quote Originally Posted by mcline86 View Post
    Maybe like a month ago or even less i sucked out the dirty clutch fluid in the reservoir and put some fresh fluid in, was i supposed to bleed it after that?
    bleeding will make a big difference in how your car shifts.

KaMaSuTrA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 Cadillac CTS-V

Does it at least engage with a rev-match?

Quote Originally Posted by KaMaSuTrA View Post
    Does it at least engage with a rev-match?
    doesnt matter where the revs were, it just wouldnt go in unless i pushed it way harder then i should ever have to. I think the nuts and lockwashers i found missing may have been the problem, i have yet to take it on the highway tho.

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo View Post
    bleeding will make a big difference in how your car shifts.
    All i did was replace the clutch fluid in the reservior, i didnt do a full clutch fluid change. Are you saying i was supposed to bleed my clutch after only replacing couple ounces that are in the reservior?

Jab31169 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

All i did was replace the clutch fluid in the reservior, i didnt do a full clutch fluid change. Are you saying i was supposed to bleed my clutch after only replacing couple ounces that are in the reservior?
    Bleeding replaces all the fluid in the Master and slave cylinders along with all the lines and reservoir. Just replacing the fluid in the reservoir does not and you end up with a mix of old and new fluid

if you haven't done it since purchasing the car - don't know how long you have owned it - bleed out all of the old fluid (as stated above) and replacing it with new fluid will really improve the shifting of the vehicle. It made a huge difference in my car - I was at the point where it wouldn't go into first OR reverse.

It's not an easy job, as the bleed screw is located in a difficult to reach location, but it is well worth doing. you will also get rid of any air that has been sucked into the clutch over time from out mysteriously evaporating clutch fluid.

I have owned the car for less than a year, the clutch fluid was changed by the dealership when i bought it and has never been low from evaporating clutch fluid.

Since getting the nuts and lock washers back on, I was driving my car all day today. It actually still locks me out of 3rd gear, but only at highway speeds when i am in 5th or 6th gear cruising and want to downshift to 3rd. SOMETIMES if i rev it up and then push into 3rd it will go. Deff doesnt seem right i can drop right down into 4th from 6th with no rev or anything it just pops in.

it's not normal at all. you shouldn't have that problem with third.

what do you have to lose from a clutch bleed? it's less expensive than the next step, which would be getting the syncro rebuilt, I think.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.