3rd Gear Issue - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, 3rd Gear Issue in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; This sounded like the same issue I'm having with reverse which I'm pretty sure is the uuc bushings being a ...
    Castro is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: 3rd Gear Issue

This sounded like the same issue I'm having with reverse which I'm pretty sure is the uuc bushings being a very tight fit (I've bled the clutch and my transmission is new) I find it goes half way usually and I have to really smack it in to engage all the way. But your highway speed aspect sounds like something else, if I were you I'd definitely bleed it first and see what happens. Good luck I hope it isn't a serious transmission issue.

mcline86 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 Black CTS-V

Il give the clutch bleeding a try. Although i see this ending up with me having to once again bring it to the caddy dealer, short throw shifters dont effect any warranty do they? How do you go about bleeding the clutch? I have decent mechanic skills but most of my experience is on ATV's not cars.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by mcline86 View Post
    Il give the clutch bleeding a try. Although i see this ending up with me having to once again bring it to the caddy dealer, short throw shifters dont effect any warranty do they? How do you go about bleeding the clutch? I have decent mechanic skills but most of my experience is on ATV's not cars.
    Bleeding the clutch yourself does involve some risk in that a few forum members have broken the bleeding screw, which requires dropping the transmission to repair. On the otherhand some dealers are not particularly reasonable in terms of what they charge to bleed and flush the clutch system. (Mine is though). Finally, if you have a dealer do it I simply would not mention the aftermarket shifter since most dealers will not recognize it on their own.

How much does your dealer charge u for a clutch flush and bleed? I do have a CPO warranty. i dont know if i should just bring it to them and have them deal with it, seeing that I have the short throw and they may blame it on that if they did notice it.

I don't recall exactly, but it was something like $50-$60. I had it done at the same time I had some other things done.

repenttokyo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    I don't recall exactly, but it was something like $50-$60. I had it done at the same time I had some other things done.
    paying that price is well worth it to avoid the frustration.

WesH8398 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V
    Bleeding the clutch does suck, but it helps. And when you see the condition of the fluid you bleed out of there, you'll be happy you did it. I have 2 suggestions for ya regarding the bleed:
    1) get a Motive "power bleeder" or something similar
    2) use Amsoil brake fluid for the new stuff

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo View Post
    paying that price is well worth it to avoid the frustration.
    Sure is, but I suggest you establish the price up front - some have reported much higher charges such as $200 if I recall correctly.

KaMaSuTrA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    Sure is, but I suggest you establish the price up front - some have reported much higher charges such as $200 if I recall correctly.
    *insert local Rape Crisis hotline number here*

I'l deff have the dealer do it if its 50-60 bucks. Even if it was 100 just saves me the PITA to do it.

My clutch fluid was flushed about 14k miles ago and the fluid in the reservior is actually pretty clean still. Hopefully this does the trick though il hafta call the dealer for pricing this week.

garrettg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

I had 3rd gear downshift issues as stated, didn't matter if I bled the clutch or rev-match. I might not have bleed right the screw just falls out everytime I try to bleed it and can't get anything to come out from the top until its just about wobbled out. I took the car in since its still under power-train warranty as I was also hearing whining in 4th, 5th, and 6th. I just got word they are putting a new trans in, so hopefully that takes care of any whining and also fixes 3rd gear issue. Also I had issues at times with reverse lockout not fully engaging so that should be fixed as well.

repenttokyo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

reverse lockout is a solenoid issue.

Got the new trans still shifted like crap, would get locked out of gears like 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and rev. I muscled it for about a month with the pisnuoff short shifter(probably compounded the real issue). Anyway I finally bought the creative steel motor and trans mounts. I haven't installed the motor mounts but I did install the trans mount as it states on their website and a few random threads on there that is can help fix shift issues. Also reading the threads about shimming stock trans mount to raise the trans so the aftermarket ds coupler would work right also seemed to get me thinking that the stock trans mount might be sagging. Well after installing the trans mount the car now shifts perfectly. I don't know if the linkage was at a bad angle with the short shifter/sagging trans mount or what but its so easy to find any gear now and shifts as I would expect with no resistance. For anybody having shifting issues with a short shifter I would take a looks at the cs trans mount. The difference between the cs and stock one is huge in size and strength. I will post a picture if anybody needs. I posted a picture on the ls1 and cc forums already.

new trans fixed rev lockout issue so new solenoid with new trans I suspect

mberisha is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 Black Escalade AWD & '06 Black CTS-V

very scary when slamming into 5th at ~130ish....I only did it once....mstjon32 said he's done it on several occasions on the AutoBahn......?!?

However....I almost pooped myself.....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.