downgrade from factory HID's to Halogens? previous owner ruined factory HID's
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, downgrade from factory HID's to Halogens? previous owner ruined factory HID's in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hi, I'm new to the forum. I just bought a '04 CTS-V and its got a flaw... The previous owner ...
    Senor Aguas is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

downgrade from factory HID's to Halogens? previous owner ruined factory HID's

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I just bought a '04 CTS-V and its got a flaw... The previous owner tried to polish the cloudy plastic on the headlight housing and it looked even worse. This is where it gets bad. He then decided to tape it off and paint it body color around the outside 1.5" or so of the headlight housing. The headlights look awful (worse than this picture makes it seem) and I can't stand to drive it around like that.

It still seemed like a good deal on the car, so I figured I'd order some replacement headlight assemblies when I got back home. GM wants $995 each for these things. Used, it looks like it will be $400 each. Anybody have any idea on how hard it would be to convert to the non HID, non auto leveling lights? Will they fit, just the wiring is different?

Or do you have any other ideas?
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

catch2otwo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS_V

Re: downgrade from factory HID's to Halogens? previous owner ruined factory HID's

That looks terrible. Id find a set of used ones fast.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Re: downgrade from factory HID's to Halogens? previous owner ruined factory HID's

These lights are not self-levelling, unless you are in Europe. I assume you are talking a downgrade because you have a line on some cheap halogen-based units? It will work, but the pigtails for the low-beam are different, so you will have to splice. Halogen bulbs pull more power than the hid ballasts, that may or may not cause problems with the bcm computer. The halogen units also don't have the washers that you have now, so when the bcm tries to activate them, and they obviously don't respond, that may or may not cause issues as well.

Thanks, I didn't know if they were self leveling or not. The guy I bought it off of mentioned it, but didn't know for sure.

Hmmm. I don't know whether its a good idea to try a swap or not. Its just that the halogen type are soo much cheaper. I just can't see paying $1000-$2000 for headlights...

I don't have a specific set of headlights in mind--I just see the halogen type very cheap on ebay.

shadybx7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes

dont look bad at all to me.. any more pics?

rjoffe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Have you tried to price them through Luke ?

JFensty is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 04 Blk Cts-V
    I priced them at approx 760 each thru lindsey. I have used pair that are in decent not great shape but I would let them go cheap. Pm me if interested.

I'm thinking I'll remove the headlights, remove the paint with some acetone, sand the plastic working my way to 2000 grit, then polish. I'm not sure what problem he ran into while trying to polish, but he didn't do a very good job taping off the paint, so he may just not know what he's doing... If that doesn't work, I think I'll be buying some replacements in HID (not halogen).

JFensty, I just tried to PM you, but couldn't because I'm such a new member. Could you try to PM me? or send an email? my gmail is david dot alan dot waters at gmail dot com.

JFensty is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 04 Blk Cts-V
    Pm sent.

Quote Originally Posted by rjoffe View Post
    Have you tried to price them through Luke ?
    No, I'm new to the forum. Who's Luke? I'm assuming he's a member of the forum that works at a GM dealership? or runs the service department at one?

Thanks for your help, guys!

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Lindsay Cadillac in Alexandria, VA.

contact Luke Butler at Lindsay Cadillac (703) 824-9670

Supports the forum and provides OEM parts at great prices.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by shadybx7 View Post
    dont look bad at all to me.. any more pics?
    I'm not a huge fan of the body color paint around the edge, but if you look in the Appearance forum there are guys that have done that or painted that edge black. It looks fine to me, and the lens doesn't look like it's horribly scratched or anything like that, so without seeing better pictures I would say it's a waste to replace those.

Quote Originally Posted by Senor Aguas View Post
    No, I'm new to the forum. Who's Luke? I'm assuming he's a member of the forum that works at a GM dealership? or runs the service department at one?
    To add to darkman's post, Luke's username is Lindsay Cadillac Parts.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

shadybx7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of the body color paint around the edge, but if you look in the Appearance forum there are guys that have done that or painted that edge black. It looks fine to me, and the lens doesn't look like it's horribly scratched or anything like that, so without seeing better pictures I would say it's a waste to replace those.
    yup that was exactly what i was getting at.. im interested in what they look with the chrome grill in the frame.

Aurora40 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Senor Aguas View Post
    I'm thinking I'll remove the headlights, remove the paint with some acetone, sand the plastic working my way to 2000 grit, then polish. I'm not sure what problem he ran into while trying to polish, but he didn't do a very good job taping off the paint, so he may just not know what he's doing... If that doesn't work, I think I'll be buying some replacements in HID (not halogen).
    You've got nothing to lose, and it beats paying big money for a downgrade, or bigger money to replace them.

wcryan is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V Maggied

also to just a heads up to you since your are new to the forums. Every now and then you get people that will part out their whole cars. So you maybe in luck for some cheap headlights. Most total's though are front end damage so they are pretty rare

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.