downgrade from factory HID's to Halogens? previous owner ruined factory HID's - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, downgrade from factory HID's to Halogens? previous owner ruined factory HID's in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Going from HID to halogen is like HD to black and white. If your dead set on changing them, just ...
    Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

Re: downgrade from factory HID's to Halogens? previous owner ruined factory HID's

Going from HID to halogen is like HD to black and white.
    If your dead set on changing them, just change the lenses. Look for a good deal on CTS lights (obviously with MINT lenses). There are people who can remove the lens. Swap them out, and maybe even get the angel eyes installed.

Andringa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk

Re: downgrade from factory HID's to Halogens? previous owner ruined factory HID's

Twitch, can a normal CTS lens fit on our lights? You would lose the washers right? Because the halogen lens has that little triangle part molded as part of the main lens.

Senor Aguas, Welcome, and I wouldn't replace those headlights. Go and talk to some local body shops. I bet that you could find a place that would sand down that border and spray a clear over the whole light for $200-300. Then you get a brand new looking set of lights and retain your HIDs.

RADEoN is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): Olds Aurora

if you did end up putting halogen housings in there (which has crossed my mind more than once), you could put www.vvme.com HID kits in there (I have 1 in my V high beams, 2 aurora's with 2 sets each, a CR-V, mazda 3, and have installed them in a cobalt, jetta, and neon, each with 0 issues). This is a project I would actually enjoy taking on with my car.

Also, I like the color matched rim of the headlight. In case you're wondering, there's that EXACT template of what he painted already in the headlight. I've though on more than one occasion about painting mine black to match the car.

Senor Aguas is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Thanks Guys. If sanding/polishing doesn't work, I may try swapping lenses. Can anybody confirm that they are the same? I'd imagine they'd come unglued with a heat gun. I'd definitely need to get them sealed right when putting them back together.

The picture that I attached makes it look better than it is. He didn't tape it off very well. Also some of it is flaking, where he probably didn't sand very well (if at all). Finally, there is an obvious, thick paint step at the tape line.

I'll try to take some pictures of my process and post them up (success or fail). I'm not too bad at DIY car work.

RADEon, I do like that blacked out headlight.

RADEoN is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): Olds Aurora

that's what yours is going to look like.

Sanding headlights is a piece of cake, just go 1500 grit up and down, 2000 grit left and right, then 2500 grit up and down (then left and right if you want), then buff it with something like plast-x. Make sure you are wet sanding and apply water liberally, and even a tad of dish soap.

I've done quite a few plastic lens's in my life and they turn out great.

http://www.bgprod.com/products/headl...storation.html the BG Class Act is one of the best products I've ever used for this process, if you can get a BG product.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Auto parts stores all sell the polishing kits now. It's my understanding the ones now work pretty well, but I have never tried them. I tried one years ago that didn't work very well. But that was almost 10 years ago.

Update: I spent about 3 to 4 hours today trying to sand out the paint and polish one of the lights. It wasn't a distaster, but not far from it. There was quite a bit of sun damage and road damage hiding under that paint. The "cracks" or whatever they are on the top were quite deep and there's a rock chip on the side. I ordered a vinyl decal from bneal1022 and plan on that fixing my problem for now at least. At least with that, the edge will be nice and crisp. The tape job that's on there now is pretty bad. I plan to get it really smooth before applying the decal.

Another update. I tried to apply the vinyl decal and I couldn't get it to go on smoothly or look good. I've had this problem with applying decals to dirt bikes before. Its likely due to my lack of patience. I gave in and ordered a set of halogen headlight assemblies. I also ordered an HID kit because I like them and because I don't want to significantly increase the electrical load on the wiring (hoping for no computer messages). I'm going to convert to regular halogen headlight assemblies and then convert back to HID's. I'll do a full writeup. If anyone out there has done it (or attempted and failed), please speak up. I understand that I'll have to do some wiring (it won't be plug and play).

As these cars get older and their value drops even more, the idea of spending $700 to 995 each on HID headlight assemblies is going to become more of an issue. I didn't want to go with used HID assemblies ($400 each) because they are likely to have the same sun damage as mine had (and every other CTS I see on the road). A pair of aftermarket halogen assemblies was $275 plus $200 for a nice aftermarket HID kit (which I may not need if I can reuse the factory HID ballast). The factory HID system seems to be made by Sylvania, so that's the brand I went with.

Ok, so I did it. I bought a pair of new aftermarket halogen assemblies and swapped them in place. I also upgraded them at the same time to aftermarket HID. It cost me about $450. If you're ok with halogens, then this process is cheap and plug and play. I've read several places that the halogen assemblies are not compatible with cars with HID, but they are. The connectors are the same and it works. You do lose your headlight washers.

Here's the writeup:

http://senoraguas.blogspot.com/2011/08/headlights.html

I'm sorry for the lack of pictures, but I was dirty, sweaty, frustrated and in a hurry.

Ak Jim is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Senor Aguas View Post

As these cars get older and their value drops even more, the idea of spending $700 to 995 each on HID headlight assemblies is going to become more of an issue. I didn't want to go with used HID assemblies ($400 each) because they are likely to have the same sun damage as mine had (and every other CTS I see on the road). A pair of aftermarket halogen assemblies was $275 plus $200 for a nice aftermarket HID kit (which I may not need if I can reuse the factory HID ballast). The factory HID system seems to be made by Sylvania, so that's the brand I went with.
    This issue is going to get worse as time goes by and as cars get more and more complicated.

This mod can be free or super cheap! I just sold my OEM ballasts and bulbs for $199 in an hour on ebay to a business who will be reselling them. I priced them too cheap I suppose. And, I just sold the big sun (and user) damaged assemblies for $115. If you are doing this mod, you'll likely get more out of them, because a broken tab on one of my ballasts and the history of my headlight assemblies probably took away some of the value. I described everything honestly. If I'd stayed with halogen during my downgrade, I would have made money!

I've driven a few nights with the new headlights and am liking them. They are about the same color as before (I bought 6000k), maybe just a hair more blue. They seem plenty bright. The only thing I seem to notice different is that the light pattern isn't quite as smooth. I can only notice it when pointing at a garage door or something that you can really see the pattern.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.