2006 V Cranks - No Start
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, 2006 V Cranks - No Start in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; So on this beautiful day my V has died. It cranks but does not catch at all, does not run. ...
    Juggernaut850 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

2006 V Cranks - No Start

So on this beautiful day my V has died.

It cranks but does not catch at all, does not run.

I read through the forum, searched and it seems like the fuel pump may be the culprit. I have tested the fuel rail and no pressure registers when the pump should be priming the line or when cranking. I even tried pushing in the schreader valve with a screw driver to see if I could get anything to come out and nothing did.

20 amp fuse (pump) located under the rear seat is fine.

The tank was low on gas when it was driven last, I added 10 liters through a jerry can today and still the same result.

Can you help me with a recommendation? I have changed a pump before on my old volvo 850 but that was through an access panel in the trunk, from what the older posts here say that I would have to make my own access panel. Is this wise? Any ideas on dealer cost to repair? How hard to drop the gas tank and go at it that way?

Thank you in advance....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: 2006 V Cranks - No Start

I would be tempted to change the fuel filter first - if it encounters enough water it will cease to flow fuel.

The fuel pump is shown as $500 part and the flat rate time allowance is 4.6 hours to change.

See attached.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Other guys here have done fuel pumps (assuming that's the problem), but from what I gather it's not for the timid.

How many kilometers on your V?
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

80K Kilometers on the V....

I will try changing the fuel filter today. Any other ideas on root cause? (When I turn the key you can hear the relays and such turn under the hood, but it does not sound like the fuel pump is running)

Since the fuel pump lives submerged in the fuel tank I do not know how audible it is. You could turn on the ignition (very briefly) with the fuel filter off as an acid test to see if it is pumping. If you do this, I would have an assistant help and have a water hose ready to rinse down and fuel spillage. I only suggest this since you want to be darn sure the pump is indeed dead before you drop the tank.

Finally there is thread somewhere that contains a diagram on where to cut your own access in the floor board (under the back seat I think) that would allow direct access to the pump.

Guys - Thanks for the help so far.

I have changed the fuel filter today and with it off tried to prime / crank the engine - nothing happened (no fuel flow out of the exposed supply line from the tank).

So it looks like all roads lead to fuel pump, unless other than the fuse in the back seat there is another fuse / relay that could cause the pump not to operate?

Any other ideas?

Again, I appreciate the help....

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

There have been cases of the terminal connector at the top "frying".

It is a BITCH to get at and some have cut a hole instead of dropping everything (rear end ect) to get at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut850 View Post
    Guys - Thanks for the help so far.

I have changed the fuel filter today and with it off tried to prime / crank the engine - nothing happened (no fuel flow out of the exposed supply line from the tank).

So it looks like all roads lead to fuel pump, unless other than the fuse in the back seat there is another fuse / relay that could cause the pump not to operate?

Any other ideas?

Again, I appreciate the help....
    Well the related ground is G401 - see attached. Also, there are two 15A fuses in the Underhood fuse block that control the left and right banks of both fuel injectors and coils. To the extent the ECM has to "see" these circuits for the fuel pump circuit to activate they could be involved, but I doubt that is the case.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ess-panel.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...fuel-pump.html

Access Picture here:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...g-smoking.html

05velocity is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V Redline

I had the same problem this week just changed the fuel pump out its a $269 part. The relay is in the fuse box under the back seat on the passenger side. Put a volt meter on the switch side of the relay it should have 12 volts for 2 seconds when you turn the ignition key to the run position. You can also feel the relay click when you turn the key to run. If its working have someone listen for the pump at the filler neck with gas cap off while you turn the ignition key to run. They should here it run for 2 seconds. If they don't hear anything its dead, pretty common with GM pumps. I followed the service manual instructions for dropping the tank and still had a hell of time getting the passenger side bolt out. I was looking at this thread about cutting the hole but chickened out.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...smoking-2.html

Guys - Thanks for the help, I ended up towing it to the dealer and it was nothing that $1400 couldn't fix.... aka the fuel pump.

Anyway, Dirk is back now and all is well.

Again thanks for the quick replies.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.