New Tires for my 2005 CTS-V - recommendations please - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, New Tires for my 2005 CTS-V - recommendations please in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Nitto NT-05's....I am just about to put on my second set. I got 20k out of the first set with ...
    soundexp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06' CTS-V

Re: New Tires for my 2005 CTS-V - recommendations please

Nitto NT-05's....I am just about to put on my second set. I got 20k out of the first set with 4-5 track days at VIR with a ton of grip. Very pleased!

photorobb is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Re: New Tires for my 2005 CTS-V - recommendations please

just ordered my Hankook Evo V12's today. FOrd is having thier tire sale and the local dealer price matched tirerack !!

bjazz69 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Tires for Daily Driver

I plan on using my V as a Daily Driver, I live near Chicago so we get "some" snow. I was wondering what people are doing for tires? I know that the best solution is to have a second set of wheels with winter tires. My finances are limited and was thinking of getting all seasons tires. Is it worth getting? If so which ones are good? If it is a waste then I will just have to bite the bullet and get wheels and winter tread.

Hockeyref is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Black CTSV

Re: Tires for Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by bjazz69 View Post
    I plan on using my V as a Daily Driver, I live near Chicago so we get "some" snow. I was wondering what people are doing for tires? I know that the best solution is to have a second set of wheels with winter tires. My finances are limited and was thinking of getting all seasons tires. Is it worth getting? If so which ones are good? If it is a waste then I will just have to bite the bullet and get wheels and winter tread.
    I had the same issue with my previous car, but after a winter with all-seasons on a front wheel drive and then comparing to my wife's car with winter tires (fwd as well) I would never go back to all-seasons in the snow (I live in Manitoba). I bought Bridgestone Blizzaks for my '06 V and put them on the original rims, got Hankook EVO 12's with chrome rims for summer. I just got my car in March so only drove in a bit of snow but the blizzaks are awesome. I highly recommend them. Spend the extra cash and you won't be sorry when the white stuff flies!
    jclayc and jclayc like this.

Sullyfx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05' CTS-V Platinum

Agree with above

AAIIIC is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

There are so many variables involved in the decision that (IMO) it's tough to tell you what the "right answer" is. I'm assuming that you know how to drive in the snow if you grew up in that area. Growing up "back in the day" I learned to drive and made it through the New England winters in a RWD full-size station wagon on what passed for snow tires back in the 80s. Any modern all-season tire would have better snow traction than those old snow tires. Add in the fact that you're driving a modern car with ABS, traction control, and stability control, and I think you can survive just fine on good all-seasons if you know how to drive.

Dedicated snows would be better, of course, but whether you need that additional snow performance is the question. Are the roads cleared quickly? Do you have any experience driving a RWD car in the snow, and if so, are you good at it? Do you have other travel options (public transportation, friends, rideshare program, whatever) if conditions get really crappy? Can you afford to spend $800+ on a 2nd set of tires that you're only going to use a few months a year? Do you have some place to store the "extra" tires that are off the car?
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, 19x8.5/10" CCW T140s with Toyo Proxes T1 Sports (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

mstrjon32 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): NONE

I have Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS's (all-season) on my car. Great tires--smooth and quiet all the way to the top speed, lots of grip, so far they have demonstrated excellent tread life...but they are NOT all-season tires. I tried to drive the V once in about 1/2 an inch of snow and repeatedly got stuck. My recommendation to you is, if you're going to drive in snow, either get yourself a really good set of snow tires, or buy yourself a Jeep and plow through 18"+ inches.

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

Snow in NYC is a crap shoot. Couple years ago my car hardly saw any snow. Last year we really got dumped on. My Dunlop wintersports worked great.

One thing I think about is no matter how good/quick they plow the streets, they can't get everything. If you need to get pulled out of something, the tow truck driver has to lay in the (probably dirty) snow and dig under your car. Are you gonna trust him to take his time finding a good spot to hook onto?

I know it's tough paying all that extra money when it can to towards fun stuff. But having done it a few years ago, I'm glad I have that piece of mind.

Aurora40 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V

I've heard good things in general about the Conti DWS, and the Goodyear F1 all-season. But I did what you are hesitant to do, and got winter wheels/tires. Even here in Virginia it's been great. Dunlop Wintersport M3's have been excellent in the white stuff, and still a decent drive when it's clear. Mine is also my daily driver. We have all-seasons on our FWD cars and sometimes they aren't that great depending on the type/quantity of snow. We get a lot of ice here too, due to the often above freezing winter days and below freezing winter nights.

I almost feel like you could drive the Wintersports year-round. Though I don't know if they'd get greasy in the summer. I suspect they might wear pretty quickly and possibly be less useful the following winter.

repenttokyo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyref View Post
    I had the same issue with my previous car, but after a winter with all-seasons on a front wheel drive and then comparing to my wife's car with winter tires (fwd as well) I would never go back to all-seasons in the snow (I live in Manitoba). I bought Bridgestone Blizzaks for my '06 V and put them on the original rims, got Hankook EVO 12's with chrome rims for summer. I just got my car in March so only drove in a bit of snow but the blizzaks are awesome. I highly recommend them. Spend the extra cash and you won't be sorry when the white stuff flies!
    i have this exact same combo for winter/summer minus the chrome rims - I have two sets of stockers.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Yeah, I almost bought a set of the Conti DWS tires for the V2 last year. Just something to run in the winter that does OK in the snow and won't kill my handling on good and cleared roads. And my V isn't a DD. I may do that this winter.

Otherwise, the V is parked and I drive my Town Car everywhere...

AAIIIC is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

I split DD duties between the V and a Subaru, so if it gets crappy, I can always drive the Subie. With that in mind, last year I replaced my dedicated snow tires with some all-seasons. My thinking was basically the same as bigjim's - the all-seasons are a helluva lot better on cold pavement than summer tires, and I'm not afraid to drive the car in wintry conditions if I need to.

Again, there are just a lot of variables that play into the decision, so it's tough to tell someone else what the right answer is for their situation.
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Need new set of tires-- what are you running and what can you recommend?

Gentlemen,

I bought a '06 V about three weeks ago. It came with bunch of mismatched summer tires on it-- three of them without rain grooves at all and one run-flat with rain grooves. Where I live in Maryland, it rains occasionally throughout the year (and A LOT in the springtime). It has been downright DANGEROUS driving this thing in anything other than completely dry weather. I had always intended to get winter tires for the cold months, but didn't expect the summer tires to be so atrocious in light rain, or even simply damp conditions. If it's not completely dry outside, I have to drive like a granny to stay alive.

So I'm in the market for some tires that will handle rain, keeping in mind that I do intend to put a different set of winter tires on the car in the wintertime. However, if you can recommend a set of exception all-season tires that will handle a little light snow/ice, then that's cool too.

So, what are you running? Do you like them in the rain? How are they in the dry? What can you recommend?

Thanks!

HAMSTAR

odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Re: Need new set of tires-- what are you running and what can you recommend?

DWS. I had some Conti DWS on my old CTS, and although the power is different, the platform isn't, and it handled so much better then any other tire I have had to date in the rain. I currently have Pirelli P Zero Neros on my V, and I'll still say the DWS tires handed perfect in the rain, and even handled decent in the snow for A\S tires. Their tread-life is another big plus.

[2006 CTS-V
    Bolt ons and Bolt ins, and Bolt underneaths.

CTSV_510 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)

Re: Need new set of tires-- what are you running and what can you recommend?

I have Nitto NT-555 tires and I love them. I have stock 245/45 in front and 275/40 in the rear, and they really hook very well compared to the other tires I've had on my car. Rain is not a problem whatsoever in my experience, but ice and snow you can't drive on them (I haven't actually tried but I imagine). I previously has BFG KDs and Toyo Proxes4s and the NT-555s are by far better in pretty much every way, and not very expensive either. The handling is great, though I would recommend sticking with stock size all around, the 275's are really too wide for the stock rim, but that is not a reflection of the tire itself.

I have a set of spare rims with Blizzak snow tires with good tread left on them for sale if you're interested in a second set of wheels for your winters. I'm only two hours up I-95 from you...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.