New Tires for my 2005 CTS-V - recommendations please - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, New Tires for my 2005 CTS-V - recommendations please in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I was talking to a guy that has used the DWS tires and he said they tended to have some ...
    JFensty is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 04 Blk Cts-V
    I was talking to a guy that has used the DWS tires and he said they tended to have some roll. Sidewalls a little soft. Not sure I believe him, but they are on backorder at four of the places I checked. FWIW

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

hXc95SLS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1992 Dodge Dakota DD, 2005 CTS-V Black on Black

Re: New Tires for my 2005 CTS-V - recommendations please

I know thEy are out of your price range but Bridgestone Potenza RE-11s. All I can say is holy cow! These are serious race quality tires that are DOT approved. Grand total was a tick under $1300 but I got an employee discount which brought down to $600 then the mail in rebate brought my total to $568!

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by vinnievis View Post
    I have the General Exclaim UHP's on mine (put on by previous owner). Ive put on 6K miles and the rears arent wearing so well... Started with 8/32nds in July, and in Oct they were 3-4/32nds in the rear, and nearly no wear on the front... Strange...

Maybe I should check my Alignment? lol...

All kidding aside, I wont put the same on. In doing my research on replacements it seemed like the Continental ExtremeContact DWS rated well on TireRack for the $. But I have no experience with them yet.
    They're a great tire for the snow. I almost got them last winter for my V2 for winter duty. But for dry performance? There are much better out there...

CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by hXc95SLS View Post
    I know thEy are out of your price range but Bridgestone Potenza RE-11s. All I can say is holy cow! These are serious race quality tires that are DOT approved. Grand total was a tick under $1300 but I got an employee discount which brought down to $600 then the mail in rebate brought my total to $568!
    Nice

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    ... But for dry performance? There are much better out there...
    Certainly, the Conti's were only matched up against a select few other tires, but do tell what does better in the dry that doesn't get too pricey? I'm all ears.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Stop bringing in price, DAMMIT! You drive a V, not a Yugo...
    Pillow and Pillow like this.

PJGross is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110s on here....
    I just put on the rears, 275/40/18s, fronts in 245/45/18 go on Monday. I'm coming from Goodyear F1 GSD3s in the same size. My position is needing a "spirited" daily summer driver tire that could be used for a few track sessions, maybe. My goal is not to be able to outdrive the tire.

I don't like that the continuous blocks and channels/grooves all the way around the circumference in the Hankooks or Conti's above. In my mind I see a reduced tire patch from tires that have a V block like the GSD3s or other solid/continuous blocks across the face of the tire. In the end, I just shrugged it off. The force on the road is more concentrated on the blocks this way, so I'm sure it all balances out in the end.

First impressions of the rears..... can't say much, I just spent 5 months on snow tires. (so don't listen to me, not a real V'r already) I think the 275s run a little narrower tread patch than the GSD3's. (no I didn't read the chart to compare). They look more at home on the stock rim than the GSD3s did, and the tire "appears" narrower. Launching with maggie so far has good traction in second gear, comparable to the GSD3s.

I was looking at these vs the Conti DWs Randy and others pointed out. B/C I run staggered I had to pass on a few others, including run flats I was considering since I don't use a spare, due to lack of availability in both sizes.

So, I liked the Hankook tread design better (shame on me for looks). I liked reviews from corvette owners (more positive than negative). I liked the pricing as well, with an additional $60 back. (yup, shame on me again).

If I tear up a tire around Detroit, which can happen often, I won't be so pissed having to buy another one or two.
    I do not think these tires would cost me seconds on a road course. I think I have plenty to improve in my own skills before these tires would slow me down.

I need to get the fronts on, get some miles on them, and take them to my favorite "closed course" spirited driving areas to give proper feedback but so far I'm happy with the purchase.

As an aside, they Hunter roadforce balanced nearly perfect with only 2 sticky weights per wheel. I had the printout somewhere but I keep an eye on how they force balance to be assured of higher speed smoothness and QC. (In last 10 yrs I think all tires have greatly improved in this area, though)

I think either of these will do unless you step up to a street legal racing tire with far less mileage expectance. I was considering that direction, but honestly my track days are very limited and the roads around here are just not reliable enough to push the limits with a street legal racing tire. That said I was sustaining 1g+ turns with the GSD3s, we'll see what the Hankooks do.

-PJ

rpgibbs is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 SRX 05 CTS-V

Anyone have any experience with the Dunlop SP Sport Signature tire? I can get them at my local sams at a pretty reasonable price. Thanks

I had SP Sport Maxx tires a few years back(still have them in dry storage) and I liked them quite a bit. Don't know how they compare. The only thing of note was that they had softer sidewalls which made the handling more "lively"...

wcryan is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V Maggied

Sp Sport Maxx tires were great. Just a little loud
    ZackLakatos and ZackLakatos like this.

AG'S-V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Thumbs up Re: New Tires for my 2005 CTS-V - recommendations please

+1 on the Bridgestone 760s, loved mine so far.

Quote Originally Posted by wcryan View Post
    Sp Sport Maxx tires were great. Just a little loud
    Really? Coming from the F1s, they were dead quiet.

yooper is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV and Caddy powered Chevy

+1 on the Bridgestone RE-11. Not within your stated budget, but stuck like glue

Turn off those DRLs!!!

mberisha is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 Black Escalade AWD & '06 Black CTS-V

Nah....leave'em on...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.