Thinking of doing a custom exhaust on my V. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Thinking of doing a custom exhaust on my V. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; this is not helping my wild hair to do a muffler delete. did one on my 95 GT... loved it. ...
    D3l7a3ch0 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V Black-on-Black

Re: Thinking of doing a custom exhaust on my V.

this is not helping my wild hair to do a muffler delete.

did one on my 95 GT... loved it. didn't keep my mufflers, though. Won't make that mistake again. in fact I'm going to mark my mufflers to make sure they don't switch them for junkers during the delete.

my neighbors are NOT going to be happy with me when I leave in the mornings around 5:30

DDS rollin a CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V, 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre

Search "CTS-V muffler delete" on youtube and you'll find a few clips of exhaut sounds. I think I like the sound of stock cats and resonator with no mufflers. Its still emissions legal that way if thats important to you, but sounds like theres not too many issues with resonance etc. I think I'm going to go that route, then if I dont like it I'll add magnaflow mufflers and x-pipe (in place of the resonator) for the "poor mans magnaflow". Even if I do the poor mans magnaflow with labor I'll be in it for $200-300 less than any of the aftermarket systems.

Castro is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Stock everything no mufflers sounds great, there are two rpm zones with some drone but not too bad. I get a lot of looks and compliments, some guy walking his dog yesterday came wandering into the street to give me a big thumbs up as I drove by.

How much did you pay

Quote Originally Posted by D3l7a3ch0 View Post
    How much did you pay
    $100 labor plus the tips which were maybe $30 each, lot of options on the tips.

I'm being quoted 125-150 to remove the mufflers and reuse my stock tips... I remember having it done for 50 on my 5.0 back in 2001...

"what kind of car you got?" "it's just a GM with an LS2"... that question irks me. Next time I'm saying Lamborghini...

MikeV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 Redline CTS-V

Guys, remember that the stock resonator IS an x-pipe. There are pics floating around somewhere here of one cut open. It just has packing to make it quieter. I have muffler delete with stock everything else and it sounds awesome. The stock system is actually very good 2.5" mandrel bent stainless. GM should have used a more agressive muffler and not used those whimpy tips. Please please please do not re-use those tips. Summit has nice low priced tips. Heck even walmart and pep boys have half way decent tips.

WesH8398 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by D3l7a3ch0 View Post
    I'm being quoted 125-150 to remove the mufflers and reuse my stock tips... I remember having it done for 50 on my 5.0 back in 2001...

"what kind of car you got?" "it's just a GM with an LS2"... that question irks me. Next time I'm saying Lamborghini...
    Don't call and ask shops for prices. Just pull in, get your car in their bay, and tell em you want to chop the mufflers off. THEN ask what the cash price will be. I paid $50 for them to cut the mufflers off and put stainless pipe and my tips in their place.
    Also, I have a topic somewhere here about tips. I got a set of 4" round, slant cut, rolled lip, stainless tips made by cherry bomb. They were only $25 apiece and look great.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

The problem with aftermarket tips is they make it look like your car is hopped up, and makes people want to race you even more. I don't know what it is about the V, but guys in any kind of performance car would not leave me alone. The one part of the V I don't miss.

mberisha is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 Black Escalade AWD & '06 Black CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    The problem with aftermarket tips is they make it look like your car is hopped up, and makes people want to race you even more. I don't know what it is about the V, but guys in any kind of performance car would not leave me alone. The one part of the V I don't miss.
    I guess I'm not following you on where the problem is?

DPL
    DPL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I'd be interested in the Corsa if you still have it.

bhendricks is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 V

Muffler delete is the way to go. I've learned to push the RPMs through the 1800 to 2000 range to reduce the drone that my kids hate. I still have stock tips, but I'm looking at some new tips either tomorrow or early next week. I asked the local Midas shop for an estimate and they said $200, I called back 2 days later and said "if I bring $100 cash will you do it?" and the guy didn't even hesitate, but they had shitty tips in stock. Cash is king...

IMO I think the straight pipes on the 1G CTS-V sound much better than any Corvette of the same age or newer.

I did change my NAV unit to display the instant MPG though, I need a constant reminder that my love of this car and the sound has an adverse affect on my wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by bhendricks View Post
    Muffler delete is the way to go. I've learned to push the RPMs through the 1800 to 2000 range to reduce the drone that my kids hate. I still have stock tips, but I'm looking at some new tips either tomorrow or early next week. I asked the local Midas shop for an estimate and they said $200, I called back 2 days later and said "if I bring $100 cash will you do it?" and the guy didn't even hesitate, but they had shitty tips in stock. Cash is king...

IMO I think the straight pipes on the 1G CTS-V sound much better than any Corvette of the same age or newer.

I did change my NAV unit to display the instant MPG though, I need a constant reminder that my love of this car and the sound has an adverse affect on my wallet.
    Agreed, you really shoulnd't have to pay more than around $100 for this and the 1800-2K drone is easy to deal with. I just flipped to the avg mpg and saw 11.9... flipped it back to temp pretty quick. I'm switching from 4" straight tips to 3.5" slanted that are sitting in my garage as soon as I bother to take it to a shop. Should have gone slanted in the first place.

hatched91 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

i've been reading into this thread and was wondering about the dual in/dual out flowmaster with muffler delete? has anyone done this yet?

Also, I can shead some light on some exhaust set-ups. I can say i've heard a corsa catback on a ls2 gto, and it sounded AMAZING! it SCREAMED, and had a very awesome, unique tone! However, i am not sure if it was accompanied by headers or not. And as the owner of the corsa said, it was too quiet, perhaps it would be best to try and delete the restrictive cats and resonator? The hooker aerochamber is a great muffler. It sounded awesome in my bmw 535i (inline 6), and on my camaro ss. It was a little more quiet than i'd like on the camaro, but didn't have that nasty flowmaster tone. I am aware that the exhaust set-up is much different on our cars than camaros, but you can get a general tone idea due to the similar LS engines. looks like i'll most likely be trying oem muffler delete first!

crazybiker51 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 cts-v, toyota rock crawler with 472

I have magnaflow cat back on mine, months ago when doing the starter i smashed out the cats, wish i did it when i first got the car, bit of a drone, but did it ever open it up, sounds how it should sound

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.