Does my 06 V have a top-speed governor?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mberisha
  • 1 Post By 07cadv
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Does my 06 V have a top-speed governor? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; So I'm headed back to Mainz today on the A63, and the road opens up. I get into the left ...
    mstrjon32 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): NONE

Does my 06 V have a top-speed governor?

So I'm headed back to Mainz today on the A63, and the road opens up. I get into the left lane and punch it in 5th, and at what read 149 on the speedometer, with the car still pulling hard, I felt a fuel cut-off. I had hit a GPS-confirmed 153 earlier in the week, with my foot hard down in 6th before I had to brake (because you know, a car a mile ahead of me pulled out)...but I'm wondering if I in fact hit a limiter then too and just didn't notice it.

I'm not making a habit of driving 150+ (it's exhausting) but I kind of wanted to run this car out to it's max on roads where it's legal to do so. I've seen plenty of confirmation on the web that these cars will do 163 in 5th gear, so why am I hitting this limiter? Did my car come with lower-speed rated tires? How much of a pain is it going to be to get the limiter removed?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mberisha is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 Black Escalade AWD & '06 Black CTS-V

Re: Does my 06 V have a top-speed governor?

Hahah....did you have to fill up AGAIN on the way home cruising that fast? I got 185 miles to the last tank on the trip back from Hooters.....

Aurora40 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V

The RS-A tires are V-rated. They were the standard tire in '06 (I believe). So the car likely has a V-appropriate speed limiter.

InfrareV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V

My impression was the 18" RS-A's had a "W" rating.

Met: Ha, nope, but I'm back down to a half a tank. The car is going to be parked for a few days while my wallet recovers. Driving 150 did help the hangover, though...

Aurora40: So you're telling me that the 04 and 05 had a better tire stock? That's pretty annoying. I have W rated tires on the car now, and I want to use them.

Am I going to have to buy an (read: use this as an excuse to) HPtuner to get the limiter off? I don't know where else I could take this car in Germany to get PCM work done...

kevm14 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray CTS-V

According to what I'm seeing, the RS-A in 245/45-18 is a V-rated tire, and V-rated is 149mph. Sounds like we have a winner. If there is a W-rated RS-A I didn't see it on Tirerack.

And yeah, the 04s and 05s came standard with the Eagle F1 summer tires. Owners hemmed and hawed over tire life, and so 06s and 07s were blessed with RS-As standard, with the F1s optional.

vcaddy06 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '06 Black Raven CTS-V

Top speed

So I got the opportunity to go for a top speed run in my LS2 V last night. Pulled strong all the way till 149mph and wouldn't go anymore. I thought these cars topped out at 163? Exhaust, CAI, and tuned. Thoughts?

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Top speed

The post-2005 models are speed limited because GM went to lower speed tires. (A tuner can change this.)

Quote Originally Posted by darkman
    The post-2005 models are speed limited because GM went to lower speed tires. (A tuner can change this.)
    Ahhh, I see now. But I had the car dyno tuned already. I believe he was supposed to take all restrictions off. Atleast I'm pretty sure he was supposed to. I guess he didn't. Thanks darkman.

mberisha is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 Black Escalade AWD & '06 Black CTS-V

mstrjon32 likes this.

I've since had the speed limiter removed from mine, but I've only hit 163 once.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrjon32
    I've since had the speed limiter removed from mine, but I've only hit 163 once.
    Well I'm gonna be taking it back to get retuned and remove the limiter that I thought was being removed. Does it top out at 163 due to redline?

Quote Originally Posted by vcaddy06 View Post
    Well I'm gonna be taking it back to get retuned and remove the limiter that I thought was being removed. Does it top out at 163 due to redline?
    That's right. You're out of gear in 5th at 163, and there isn't enough power to keep pulling in 6th.

07cadv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

Man, I miss Germany.....going everywhere with your hair on fire.
    mstrjon32 likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.