oil change interval - 3k, 5k, or OLM?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, oil change interval - 3k, 5k, or OLM? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; sorry, it's probably a noob question, but searching this site is difficult, oils are always getting better, and I'm a ...
    JDB
    JDB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 Raven/Ebony CTS-V with toys

oil change interval - 3k, 5k, or OLM?

sorry, it's probably a noob question, but searching this site is difficult, oils are always getting better, and I'm a noob...

I've only had my V for just over a year and bought it with 24k miles. I immediately changed the oil (among other things). I don't care what the PO said. I changed it right before 30k the morning of a dyno day, oil life was in the 30%s and figured ~5k changes would be fine with M1 5w30 (assume there are better oils like Amsoil), but, I just turned 33k today and there's another dyno day tomorrow and noticed the oil life is at 21%! really?, only ~3k miles and it's basically time to change again? I gotta believe 5k is fine and wait until 35k, then 40k, 45k, 50k, etc. etc. FWIW, this was over winter and all DD'ing, so I'm assuming the algorithm is taking into account the cold temps and cold starts, and not much highway miles. I do make sure the oil is up to 180F range before playing and always take the longer way home to get the oil up to 200F+. I'm just shocked the car wants its oil changed already after only 3k miles with syn oil and it was 5500 range last time with more % left....seems like a waste of $ to change already. It was fine when oil was ~$4/qt, but now it's double that. however, it's only 2-3 times year. so, not that big a deal, especially with the 5qt+filter deals... just really curious if people have had samples sent to Blackstone at various miles/% and see what's really GM's motive with the OLM and how accurate it is. if not, or because I am curious for my own car, I'll get my butt out there tomorrow morning and change it before the dyno day and take a sample to send it and find out for myself and report back.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Oldschooler08 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS V

Re: oil change interval - 3k, 5k, or OLM?

There must be something wrong with your OLM. I routinely change the oil at 10-15% life remaining because it is needing a quart of oil at 7500mi plus. On my '08 Vette I got over 12,000mi on an oil change (all highway). Spirited driving but no racing.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

The OLM algorithim is supposed to result in higher mileages for highway driving (12k highway miles is not uncommon) than for short trips. So, the 3k result for winter daily driving is not necessarily an indication of error.

I have done enough oil testing to know that winter condensate accumulation and fuel dilution shorten the oil life. I would change the oil based on the OLM or at least annually, (preferrably in the spring) whichever occurs first.

Oldschooler08 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS V

I agree, although all of my cars are daily drivers that see extreme winter conditions (yes the vette too) and I've never seen anything close to that. I for one have taken the leap of faith to use the OLM to determine intervals as apposed to the 3k or 5k intervals. I have the opposite feeling of the OP. I think the intervals are too long but I still use them.

50 4Ever is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V (Thunder Grey)

I use the OLM instead of an arbitrary interval on both the V and the Z06. When it gets down below 10% I start thinking about changing it. I ran AMSOIL in my C5 when I was tracking it (5 years) and with that I did not use the OLM or an interval, I usually changed it prior to going to the track. Since I have not tracked the 07 V I chose not to waste money and just use Mobile1...

Just my $0.02

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

I know the OLM is the way to go, but I just can't bring myself to do it on the V. My wife's car with 130k on the clock is another matter.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Aurora40 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V

I would definitely not go longer than the OLM. And FYI, but 21% doesn't mean it's time for a change. Sounds like you'll get about 4k out of the oil. Which is likely not the normal service interval, but certainly possible depending on how the car is used. The OLM pays attention to a lot more stuff than you do. So if you plan on ignoring it, I'd at least get an oil analysis done first.

FYI, the OLM does not physically monitor the oil, and is not aware of what kind of oil you use. It's a model based around the factory recommended oil (anything that meets the 4718M spec). http://www.gm.com/corporate/responsi...ngine_oils.pdf

Also, just to be sure, you did reset the monitor when you changed the oil?

Dan_Gurney is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 - CTS-V

I personally use the OLM, but usually replace at ~25% to have some piece of mind

kevm14 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray CTS-V

I changed mine at 8% oil life which was 6000 miles. Didn't get it tested but I trust it. GM's had an oil life prediction system for over 20 years now.

JDB

thanks guys. I just meant that I thought it was crazy for the OLM to be saying it's time to change at only ~3k miles. and, I know it doesn't know which oil is in there, but... one would assume it knows that it's "at least" M1 5w30. I just find it hard to believe that syn oil can't reach to 5k changes. I wouldn't run it more than what the OLM says, actually probably never more than 5k.

I plan to have it tested via Blackstone now at ~3k and see what they say.

fwiw, our '06 Saab 97X with the 4.2L I-6 GM motor says 61% and it's at ~4500 miles (~64,500). sees more highway DD'ing. and doesn't "require" syn oil, but I use M1 5w30 in that too. now, with you guys saying how much you rely on changing when the OLM says to... I'm thinking it'll run 7500-10k changes and I've been doing 5k regardless what the OLM says.

another fwiw... I used M1 0w40, 5w40 and Motul Motorsport 300V 5w40 in my heavily modified Audi A4 1.8 Turbo with a big turbo on it...and had those oils tested by Blackstone after various 5k changes... and they were spot on 5k mile uses. and I tracked that car a lot, which is why I had it tested. didn't matter if it was winter, summer, with or without track days.... numbers basically always looked the same ~5k miles. Motul numbers were slightly better and cooler temps at the track. ::shrugs::

Stepside is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 DTS performance; CowboyCadillac='12 SVT Raptor

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora40 View Post
    Also, just to be sure, you did reset the monitor when you changed the oil?
    Yes, I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if he held the button in until you get 100%.
    You have to hold the button until it resets or you just get XXX.

JDB

Quote Originally Posted by Stepside View Post
    Yes, I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if he held the button in until you get 100%.
    You have to hold the button until it resets or you just get XXX.
    yes, I reset it back to 100% after the ~30k change.

also, when I was around 2500 miles, what I thought would be half way/50%+ left, I checked it to find it around 40%s and that's when I realized it wasn't going to make it to 5k miles. hence why I checked before the dyno day (but ended up not dyno'ing anyway).

so, when does the OLM say to change it?

Aurora40 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by JDB View Post
    I just find it hard to believe that syn oil can't reach to 5k changes.
    Obviously for plenty of us, it can. Considering this is your first use of the OLM, I think I'd just follow what it says and see what the interval is next time before I'd start second-guessing it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.