rear end noise
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, rear end noise in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hi, I just purchased an 07V and it does have a light howl in the rear end. Usually nothing bad, ...
    2007V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V, maggie

rear end noise

Hi, I just purchased an 07V and it does have a light howl in the rear end. Usually nothing bad, but I did a moderate launch today and it really started howling (almost screeching) at some speed. So I stopped and put it in reverse for a second to set the lash back (i don't know, the only thing I could think of). And the screeching went away.

Is this rearend totally fubared or can I can just rebuild it with new bearings? Do the cases warp on these? Will an 09 pumpkin fit in? Any help/advice is appreciated.

Julian

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

kzeliminator is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 cts-v
    09 no, cases dont warp, they shatter, if you have a warranty take it in, if not drive it till you blow it, and get a new rear

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Re: rear end noise

what is the warrenty on these?

Castro is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

This is the most asked question here, most well known and documented issue with the car you just bought. You'll need to do some searching here. Your warranty or lack thereof should have been explained to you prior to purchase, if it wasn't that points to "none". Virtually all stock diffs whine, if it's howling badly it is damaged in some way- like mine. You can probably drive on it forever that way if you aren't launching the car and it's a newer 25xxxxx series. There are three solutions currently, GFORCE 9" kit for $5500, Creative Steel 8.8" kit for $4250 I believe, and a new stock diff for around $1600 that may or may not be noisy out of the box. Welcome, take comfort in the fact that you are not alone and that there are extensive discussions on this topic.

AG'S-V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

It's covered under your 5yr 100k powertrain warranty...use it.

Heck ya! I've honestly never had a car with a warrenty on it. Called the caddy dealer and mine runs outs 9/16/11!

I get the feeling I'm going to have to fight with them to have the pumpkin changed. Any words of advise?

Castro is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Awesome! Make an appointment and don't take no for an answer on replacement.

CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by 2007V View Post
    Heck ya! I've honestly never had a car with a warrenty on it. Called the caddy dealer and mine runs outs 9/16/11!

I get the feeling I'm going to have to fight with them to have the pumpkin changed. Any words of advise?
    Yes. Buy an extended warranty, now.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

If the first dealer you go to says no, move on to another. Some dealers will deny you right out of the box. Others want the work. I took mine in for a fluid change, and they replaced the whole carrier.

Houdini is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MT, 2007 CTS-V (Sold)

If it whines that bad I doubt they will give you any trouble replacing it. I'm on my 3rd diff in my 07.... it's the 4th gen with 13k miles on it now.... still quiet as can be.

Dan_Gurney is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 - CTS-V

mine had no trouble replacing it when i explained the noise. just tell them what it is doing, and they will know what is wrong... make sure they know you know it is a problem.

It is worthwhile to note that if it only happens when you are actually on the gas pedal (even slightly) that is a good indicator it is the rear, and not another drive line. My first diff would start whining around 42 mph, you could just lightly touch the gas pedal to make it whine then let off and nice and quite...

Charlemagne65 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V

Why do the rear ends go out? Is it really the rear end (differential) or a wheel bearing or cv joint? Mine howls weather you have you foot on the gas or not. You just have to be moving down the road. It is very loud. I have no leaks at all. Could I add some special oil or something to it? Where are you Timmy C?

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master

The rear end becomes noisy from the pattern of wear on the ring and pinion gears. The earlier units (pre-2006 model year) also suffered from poor case design that led to breakage in some cases and in gear misalignment in others. The primary causes of gear wear in the more recent units are failure to break-in the unit when new, over loading when cold (the splash lubrication system is ineffective at lower temperatures) and heat-induced lubrication failure. My original unit became noisy and used oil analysis indicated copious amounts of gear metal. The noise it produced varied in tone, pitch, and loudness based on whether the car was accelerating or decelerating and rate of said acceleration and deceleration. If the noise you are hearing does not vary with throttle application it may well be something else - wheel bearing being one candidate.

GrantB1390 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac CTS-V
    Since mine howls when on the gas at all in 5th or 6th at speeds appropriate for high gears, does a fluid change help at all or is it not significant? Mine's an '04 with 121,00 on it. Not sure of the history so I'm assuming stock everything for parts save for my intake and I'm interested in getting new fluids this summer. Worth my time for diff fluid?

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Changing the fluid is unlikely to cure the howl, but it may extend the life of the unit. Typically, the friction modifier that keeps the limited-slip clutches from sticking together in corners deteriorates before the fluid itself. Some have reported some quieting effect going to a higher viscosity gear oil.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.