Possible Aluminum radiator for the CTS-V. American made, all aluminum.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Possible Aluminum radiator for the CTS-V. American made, all aluminum. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I met a guy here in SoCal on another board I am a member of who recently started making radiators. ...
    Squid4life is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Possible Aluminum radiator for the CTS-V. American made, all aluminum.

I met a guy here in SoCal on another board I am a member of who recently started making radiators. He has an engineering background, and abilities to make radiators, and has a passion for cars. He is in the middle of a 25.3 build Buick Grand National, so that is the first platform he made a rad for. I have one of his radiators in my GN and it is amazing. I got a powdercoated one from him, to which a lot of guys said the coating would be a detriment, but it is working amazingly well. He has made other radiators for other cars like Pony Mustangs, etc and I started asking him about making radiators for the V's. Main reason I asked is I am not really super comfortable with how hot it runs currently, and mine seeps a little between the aluminum core and the plastic end tanks (or top/ bottom tanks in this case).

My question is, what would you change or what features would you like to add if you could design a rad for your V? He makes rad's for the GN's with no coolers, an oil cooler, or oil and trans coolers. They are really amazing. I would like to run an external oil cooler being here in Sunny SoCal, so not sure if I would do an internal or external, but I am considering an internal, since the one in the GN works so well.

I know we are limited on space both width-wise and length/height-wise, but may be able to squeeze another 1/2-1" more of core width. Let me know what you guys think, what you would like to see made, etc. I am all ears and will pass all info to the builder to see what he can do.

Here are a few pics of the one in the GN as an example.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Re: Possible Aluminum radiator for the CTS-V. American made, all aluminum.

is his the company that was featured on Gearz on speed channel?

Not that I am aware of. Here is his site/ company name:

http://www.alradco.com/

Like I said, just a modest guy who just decided to make stuff to support the hobby, and rad's is one of the things he saw a need for. I know in the Grand National world we have the F Body rad as a popular swap, but with the plastic end tanks sometimes they seep or don't hold up well, and are made in China usually. Then you have the BeCool, which is rather pricey. (~$800+ from what I have seen) He decided to make one for his car, then it has kinda started growing.

Gary Wells is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS-V, 3K miles & '87 Turbo Buick, 29K miles

Tell Peter hello for me.

Will do, Gary. You have any suggestions on how to improve these cars' radiators? I know you have a lot of knowledge, I haven't had the car too long... Haven't broken it yet, so it has feared better than when I first got the GN.

ctsv154 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device

Personally I think how hot the car runs really isn't because of the radiator. Its how the fans are tuned and the thermostat that is in the car. I know guys like me would love to have a better radiator but with the maggie HEX and the 8 rib pulleys, I cant really go any bigger than the stock radiator. I know there aren't too many 8 rib guys so that point may be moot to everybody else but it sucks for us! lol

Gary Wells is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS-V, 3K miles & '87 Turbo Buick, 29K miles

Quote Originally Posted by Squid4life View Post
    Will do, Gary. You have any suggestions on how to improve these cars' radiators? I know you have a lot of knowledge, I haven't had the car too long... Haven't broken it yet, so it has feared better than when I first got the GN.
    Sorry, James, you evidently have me confused with somebody else. No knowledge here.

Quote Originally Posted by ctsv154 View Post
    Personally I think how hot the car runs really isn't because of the radiator. Its how the fans are tuned and the thermostat that is in the car. I know guys like me would love to have a better radiator but with the maggie HEX and the 8 rib pulleys, I cant really go any bigger than the stock radiator. I know there aren't too many 8 rib guys so that point may be moot to everybody else but it sucks for us! lol
    I wonder if he can stick with the same size as the stocker, but maybe a better fin per inch design or something...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Wells View Post
    Sorry, James, you evidently have me confused with somebody else. No knowledge here.
    I seriously doubt that, Gary. I know you well enough to know you know your stuff...

soflarick is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): none

I would like to suggest a radiator that isn't much thicker than stock, yet uses tanks that take advantage of available space. It appears that the tanks could be a little larger. The core could be a bit thicker, and optimize the numbers of fins per square inch. I've read a couple threads indicating that an integrated oil cooler is too tight a fit. The Ron Davis integrated oil cooler has caused issues with some users. I would not reduce the size of the coolant system for the sake of an integrated oil cooler. The current V radiator is as small as GM could make it.

Good info, much appreciated. I think the plan is to take pics of the rad installed from every direction to see how much room there is (or isn't) on each end and side, and see if we'd be able to sneak a half inch in length on each end, and maybe height, then concentrate on a more efficient core design with more fins per inch, etc.

Thanks again for the info, I am all ears here for any more suggestions!

James

yooper is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV and Caddy powered Chevy

I would go for a radiator designed with clearance for a cold air intake as pictured.
    If N/A guys didn't have to worry about air intake tubing clearance with the p/s pulley, there would be plenty of room for thicker radiator.

Quote Originally Posted by yooper View Post
    I would go for a radiator designed with clearance for a cold air intake as pictured.
    If N/A guys didn't have to worry about air intake tubing clearance with the p/s pulley, there would be plenty of room for thicker radiator.
    Hmmm... Peter had mentioned that about trying to make room for an intake like that, but that pic helps the idea quite a bit. So, you could possibly make the core taller (if clearance allows), with a "U" channel for a cold air intake. Do you have any more pics of that setup? I am curious what the rest of that intake looks like? A cone out front? Flat panel scoop with K&N?

Thanks a bunch for the reply. Like I said, any input is greatly appreciated!

James

yooper is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV and Caddy powered Chevy

Really can't go much taller. I was thinking of a thicker or deeper radiator core/tank. I will get some rough dimensions. Still need room for the fans and ABS controller module.

I will see if more pictures are available. The hood latch/release would be gone as in the picture. Note the hood pins.
    Air intake could be similar to the vette's, single or dual cone, whatever your air flow needs are. I just like the benefit of colder air.

Hmmm... That kinda sucks about the stock hood latch. I am not so sure about drilling into my hood yet.

What I will prob do is after taking a gang of pics as it is now, tape some 1/4" and/or 1/2" foam insulation or something to the tanks where we have the extra room. Build it up in a way so he can see how much we could expand in all directions. I would assume even adding to the tanks themselves, if enough volume, would aid in cooling. (more capacity = more cooling?) Add to that a better fin per inch count or another row altogether, this thing could be awesome... I am trying to picture if there is any room widening it to the front of the car... I need some more garage time....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.