Dual-mass flywheel gone bad, caused vibration at 2200 (solved) - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Dual-mass flywheel gone bad, caused vibration at 2200 (solved) in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I have CS mounts and I did get more vibes with it and they are RPM specific. I am installing ...
    Bueller is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Re: Dual-mass flywheel gone bad, caused vibration at 2200 (solved)

I have CS mounts and I did get more vibes with it and they are RPM specific.

I am installing a new LS7 clutch, flywheel and slave from Luke. I got instructions from a forum member and he said if I didn't get a spacer then I need to do the adjustment to the flywheel where you depress the finger springs and rotate the stepped adjuster until the 3 springs collapse. He did say he had an aftermarket flywheel. Is this adjustment needed on an 04 with the LS7 kit?

67electro is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

the LS7 kit is a direct bolt in as long as it comes with the new slave cylinder. I ordered mine from Luke as well. the only thing weird that no one talked about that I discovered was the hydrolic line that runs to the ls7 slave is Longer then the stock ls6 slave..
    I gave Luke a call and he said yeah you just need to bend it around to take up the slack. there is no such adjustment that you speak up on these.. the ls7 slave is longer to take up the room that the old ls6 Thick heavy turd took up.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    I have CS mounts and I did get more vibes with it and they are RPM specific.

I am installing a new LS7 clutch, flywheel and slave from Luke. I got instructions from a forum member and he said if I didn't get a spacer then I need to do the adjustment to the flywheel where you depress the finger springs and rotate the stepped adjuster until the 3 springs collapse. He did say he had an aftermarket flywheel. Is this adjustment needed on an 04 with the LS7 kit?
    Quote Originally Posted by 67electro View Post
    the LS7 kit is a direct bolt in as long as it comes with the new slave cylinder. I ordered mine from Luke as well. the only thing weird that no one talked about that I discovered was the hydrolic line that runs to the ls7 slave is Longer then the stock ls6 slave..
    I gave Luke a call and he said yeah you just need to bend it around to take up the slack. there is no such adjustment that you speak up on these.. the ls7 slave is longer to take up the room that the old ls6 Thick heavy turd took up.

See attached - it relates to the stock pressure plate - it may,or may not, be relevant here.

Bueller is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Those same instructions are in the corvette manual too which is why this question comes up.

Question is:
    When you install a new LS7 slave, flywheel, clutch and pressure plate in an 05 V, is this ^^^ adjustment necessary, or is that to adjust for a worn clutch. Is everyone doing this adjustment with the LS7 swap or is nobody doing it.

CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

not sure if this means anything in relation to vibration, but I found it interesting that when I removed the bolts that hold the driveshaft to the transmission (3 on the shaft side, 3 on the trans side), that 4 were one length and 2 were another... I marked them, and the 2 shorter ones came off the shaft side along with one longer. Does this mean along the way a tech lost one of my bolts and replaced it with possibly the wrong one? More importantly, would this even cause a vibration? They all seemed to hold with room to spare on the threads...but wondering if just that tiny difference could affect things.

DougNuts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V

I finally got around to installing a new factory transmission mount today. So far I can say it was a big improvement and I hope it stays like this because I'll be happy.

You can see in the pictures that the one on the car was kind of compressed.

CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Nice...hopefully it's a real improvement and not a placebo. What did the new stock mount cost?

Mine sagged like that when it was in, but shaped back up to the 'new' position on the right when removed.. I filled the void with 3m window weld hoping it would maintain stock height when reinstalled.

I think I'm going to drill some of it out and see how it feels, then if no improvement just put a new one in..

I think the key is the most support with the least contact...

I still think new stock mounts are the key. I need to find a cheap (new) pair, or one more used (but not busted) one to go with the used one I have, and swap them in just to see if that helps.

JFensty is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 04 Blk Cts-V
    I find it odd there are so many people with this exact vibration, myself included. Could it be a balance shaft in the trans. I just swapped in UMI motor mounts and ls7 clutch and flywheel, but really I could feel this vibration before changing anything. Could it be a common harmonic with these ls motors?

Quote Originally Posted by CadzillaTN View Post
    Nice...hopefully it's a real improvement and not a placebo. What did the new stock mount cost?
    I think I paid around $150 or so from Luke at Lindsay Cadillac. I bought some other stuff too (spare tire stuff), so I'm not sure what the mount by itself cost.

I'm also worried about the placebo affect, so I'll be sure to report back after ~1000 miles.

My guess is that when my motor mounts were wiped out, it put excessive load on the trans mount. When I drove the car yesterday, I could tell when the vibration was occurring, but I couldn't feel it in the car anymore. I also wonder if there is something on the input side of the trans or in the engine's tune that causes the vibration

Well, I've put around 7k miles or so on the car since my last post. Everything was good until recently, when I installed the RevShift transmission mount insert and I have the same bad vibes between 1k and 2k RPM as I had after a few days of running the Creative Steel transmission mount.

I have come to the surprising conclusion that GM knew what they were doing with the factory mounts and I recently bought a set of stock motor mounts from RockAuto. I just wish I knew where all of this vibration was coming from.....but I guess it's inherent in the design.

MotorMounts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Black CTS-V

How long ago did you get the trans mount from us? I know that it's been awhile. We've made some changes to the internals, the new ones mimic the OEM trans mount, they have more urethane but a tad softer durometer than the OEM mounts. If you're willing to do the work I'll send you a mount to test. This sounds to be a good first, second, and third test scenario.
    Our phone number is 503-316-1811 We're here M-F, 8-5 Pacific Time.
    http://www.creative-steel.com
    maxx@creative-steel.com

Quote Originally Posted by MotorMounts View Post
    How long ago did you get the trans mount from us? I know that it's been awhile. We've made some changes to the internals, the new ones mimic the OEM trans mount, they have more urethane but a tad softer durometer than the OEM mounts. If you're willing to do the work I'll send you a mount to test. This sounds to be a good first, second, and third test scenario.
    Hello Max, I purchased the mount from you guys on August 15th, 2011. I would definitely be willing to test the new mount and give feedback. My original order # was 10129.

67electro is offline Cadillac Owners Member

yeah, I have about 10k on my ls7 flywheel, running CS mounts and trans mount..
    I have some vibes, but I totally got used to it.
    the ls6 engine just has some shake to it... no way around it except cushy mounts.
    I think my cs mounts have softened a little too because the vibes have improved.. I don't think I am just getting used to it completely.

-John

Heavybody is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V and 94 SLS
    Quote Originally Posted by joelrobison
    Hello all!

Some of you may remember me posting before about vibrations in my 2004 CTS-V. and I am here to tell you that it has all worked out!

The problem was the dual-mass flywheel, I removed it and replaced it with a 28LB monster clutch (stage 2) and flywheel setup (was supposed to be the 18lb but there were issues on the ordering side). After replacing the flywheel, NO MORE VIBRATION and NO MORE CLICKING/SLAPPING NOISE AT WARM IDLE.

After removing the old flywheel I measured the deflection from the engine side to the "sponge" side of the flywheel at about 1/4 inch!! and it also slapped pretty freely in the rotating direction as well.

This has been a long battle with a great ending, thanks to the people at gforce1320 and Monster for such great products!

I also want to list various dealer responses to this problem, I spent nearly as much on diagnostics as the new clutch and flywheel before I did this myself:

Chevy of Issaquah:
    * Piston slap
    * "It has a bit of a cam in it"
    * "Thats normal for that car"

Good Chev:
    * Engine Mounts are bad (this is true actually, they are the next project but obviously not the problem)
    I would like to note that someone here did do the best they could to help me out and I would go back here to get service for sure.

Another fellow had mentioned that the balancer had gone bad, and this was also a good suggestion; but then I bought one and learned that there is no index on the crank for the balancer on this car so it was internally balanced, then came the ah-ha moment when I read that there was a dual-mass flywheel on the car from the factory and I remembered all the issues that came with that from the Diesel world.
    One
    I hope that this information is helpful to anyone with similar problems: If you feel a vibration through the gas pedal and it gets worse at freeway speeds in 6th gear when the engine luggs... dont believe anyone who tells you it is normal! that can destroy your bottom end over time.

-Joel
    After reading this thread several times I think we are missing one key element the OP installed a monster clutch & flywheel... Not sure if the vibrations returned or not but maybe that makes a difference... Most other posters did the ls7 kit...

My car has the vibe at times 2004 71000 mi stock fly wheel CS motor and trans mounts but I also have herky jerky play in the driveline that feels like it could be the flywheel to me... It can jerk the whole car back and forth when you have a less than ideal clutch engagement or sometimes backing off the throttle give the same feel.

I'm looking to replace the clutch and flywheel for that reason and the reported performance improvement over the stock dual mass

Any thoughts?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.