Dual-mass flywheel gone bad, caused vibration at 2200 (solved) - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Dual-mass flywheel gone bad, caused vibration at 2200 (solved) in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by CadzillaTN Got new stock flywheel, vibes are still there. Piece of sh*t. I hate to hear that. ...
    DougNuts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V

Re: Dual-mass flywheel gone bad, caused vibration at 2200 (solved)

Quote Originally Posted by CadzillaTN View Post
    Got new stock flywheel, vibes are still there. Piece of sh*t.
    I hate to hear that. I'm not surprised, but I hate that for you.

As mentioned on here, I had the same vibration when I got my car.

Since then, I've replaced the blown motor mounts, the dual-mass flywheel (with LS7 setup) and a wobbly harmonic damper and I STILL HAVE THE VIBRATION!

A few people have said it may be the driveshaft, but I have a hard time understanding how the driveshaft would shimmy at the same RPM in all gears since it's going a different speed each time. I'm not going to spend $1000 on a hunch, I've already been down that road (granted - the balancer and motor mounts needed replaced, the flywheel/clutch probably didn't).

I'm to the point that I'd pay someone $100 cash if they knew 100% what was wrong. I am honestly contemplating selling my car due to this vibration but my wife won't let me.

67electro is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    Yeah. I just installed my ls7 clutch setup. 2200 vibes are still there but not as harsh. I think it was resonating in the dual mass flywheel but not caused by it.

gdeemer86 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 67electro View Post
    Yeah. I just installed my ls7 clutch setup. 2200 vibes are still there but not as harsh. I think it was resonating in the dual mass flywheel but not caused by it.
    I swapped my dual mass out with a katech setup twin disc clutch (which I would not recommend because of the kit did not include a clutch alignment tool//customer service basically said to figure it out myself).

It would appear that 95% of the vibration was eliminated. The dual mass had almost flexed almost 3/8" between the 2 surfaces. I DO NOT KNOW the cause of the remaining vibration, but I THINK that you are correct in that the damaged flywheel was the effect not the cause. Maybe from the crankshaft starting to come loose?

67electro is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I don't think it has anything to do with the crankshaft coming loose, if that happened even the slightest bit, it would destroy all the bearings within an hour, your engine would knock horribly, overheat and kick the bucket..
    I am thinking the vibration has always been there to some degree, but the stock motor mounts isolated it from the car. once we all got tired of replacing the factory mounts, we put poly mounts in. and now we feel it.
    odthetruth and odthetruth like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gdeemer86 View Post
    The dual mass had almost flexed almost 3/8" between the 2 surfaces.
    Are you talking about this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irXBz91_dus

I was told this is normal for a new dual mass.

I sure wish someone could figure out the cause of the vibration. It's the #1 issue that makes me contemplate selling a car I love. I still haven't bought a new OEM trans mount yet. I tried to find one online, but all of the GM parts websites were acting strange when I tried to pick that part.

I have been wondering lately if it could have anything to do with the accessory belt tensioner.

Oh5V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V *SOLD*

Quote Originally Posted by DougNuts View Post
    Are you talking about this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irXBz91_dus

I was told this is normal for a new dual mass.

I sure wish someone could figure out the cause of the vibration. It's the #1 issue that makes me contemplate selling a car I love. I still haven't bought a new OEM trans mount yet. I tried to find one online, but all of the GM parts websites were acting strange when I tried to pick that part.

I have been wondering lately if it could have anything to do with the accessory belt tensioner.

I fixed my vibration by getting rid of the dual mass... Here's a pic of mine... The one side basically "collapsed " in on itself and the clutch side ended up being tilted. I had zero play trying to spin it like in the youtube vid you linked to.

(notice approx 3/8" gap at top, and no gap at the bottom)

CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    You're flywheel was truly fubar. I can see how you improved things so much by ditching it. I think we have another issue going on here..

I had a brand new stock flywheel in my hands and it rocked back and fourth a good 1/2 inch.

I really think it's the mounts. Does anyone that has done a clutch swap and still have vibes have stock mounts? If I can get my hands on a new set, I'll switch them in just to see if things improve...Id also like to find a low mile stock V and see just how smooth it is. Maybe my perception of how smooth it should be is unrealistic.

The other thing to remember is that these puppies were balanced to perfection on an assembly line as an entire unit before the body was even on. You can't duplicate that.

I called a professional nascar engine builder local to me and inquired about balancing my new dual mass and he said I needed to pull the entire engine and the flywheel and bring it to him, otherwise forget it as it needed to be done while on the crank of the host engine.

Cadzilla,

I ordered a new GM trans mount from Luke yesterday. It's an easy swap, so I should have it installed within a few days of receiving it and I'll be sure to give some feedback. He told me that he stopped selling the UUC trans mount because people were having the same vibration issue I had with the CS part.

gdeemer86 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by gdeemer86 View Post
    I swapped my dual mass out with a katech setup twin disc clutch (which I would not recommend because of the kit did not include a clutch alignment tool//customer service basically said to figure it out myself).

It would appear that 95% of the vibration was eliminated. The dual mass had almost flexed 3/8" between the 2 surfaces. I DO NOT KNOW the cause of the remaining vibration, but I THINK that you are correct in that the damaged flywheel was the effect not the cause. Maybe from the crankshaft starting to come loose?
    so, it has been a week since the install. I would say, subjectively speaking, that the all of the previous vibration has now returned. The previous owner swapped out the stock motor mounts with yellow ones (I assume UUC), and the engine appears to have no movement under engine acceleration.

from reading your posts it looks like my flywheel may not have been the wiggling as bad as I thought. It was not moving to the extent that some of the other posts were showing.

I am curious to hear how the transmission mount swap goes...

I did notice on a parts website that the car appears to have "a vibration damper" (http://www.trademotion.com/schematic...cal/NLP045.gif) listed as part #27.

I should caveat that the site looks pretty generic and i have not had a chance to look deeply in the GMP repair manual as it was only delivered last week.

WesH8398 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V
    My trans mount swap from saggy OEM to Creative Steel's "soft" black mount unfortunately didn't help my vibration situation at all. I also have the CS grey motor mounts installed; they didn't remedy the vibes either.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master

ls6cadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

My motor mounts are worn. I can see fluid coming out of them. Should I replace them with the CS ones or go with stock? Im not getting any vibrations now but will the CS mounts make vibrations more noticable?

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master

If you are getting reasonable mileage out of the stockers and/or don't mind periodic replacement I would stay with them. Some folks would have to replace the oem units too frequently and therefore, must assume the risk of vibration/noise.

ls6cadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

I got 50k out of them. Replacing them doesnt look to bad especially since I have acces to a lift at work. Thanks for the advice

CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ls6cadillac View Post
    My motor mounts are worn. I can see fluid coming out of them. Should I replace them with the CS ones or go with stock? Im not getting any vibrations now but will the CS mounts make vibrations more noticable?
    All aftermarket mounts will introduce more vibrations as they physically 'connect' the car with the engine more than the stockers. How much more is hard to measure but factually, they do to some extent. Real world impact seems to be different with everyone based on expectations and/or tolerance to added nvh...

----------

Quote Originally Posted by DougNuts View Post
    Cadzilla,

I ordered a new GM trans mount from Luke yesterday. It's an easy swap, so I should have it installed within a few days of receiving it and I'll be sure to give some feedback. He told me that he stopped selling the UUC trans mount because people were having the same vibration issue I had with the CS part.
    nice, let us know how it goes..

I think I am going to source a set of new motor mounts and see if that helps with the vibes. I know it will to some extent but not sure exactly how much. If I can find a set cheap I'll try it. Mine are basically new but I filled them with poly/epoxy, and they are very firm. They are great for the added throttle response, and still in perfect condition, but I'd give that back for less vibration. The new stock clutch I put in feels so much better than the one I removed at 67k, I feel I can give some back with the mounts.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.