Dual-mass flywheel gone bad, caused vibration at 2200 (solved) - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Dual-mass flywheel gone bad, caused vibration at 2200 (solved) in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by Stg1buick I had no idea that shifting into 6th early would be a culprit. David I've read ...
    WesH8398 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by Stg1buick View Post
    I had no idea that shifting into 6th early would be a culprit.

David
    I've read a bunch of theories that acceleration from very low RPM in the taller gears will wreck manual transmissions. I'm not sure of the reasoning behind it, but in case it's true I try not accelerate in 5th or 6th from under 1500 rpm. A combination of low speed limits, cruise control, and hills is tricky.

My vibration is 100% engine speed related and 0% related to vehicle speed. I've tried 2 sets of CS MM's and the vibes are still there. If I ever get the $$ saved for the LS7 clutch, I really hope that the new flywheel solves them.

67electro is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Re: Dual-mass flywheel gone bad, caused vibration at 2200 (solved)

Just broke my mounts in 2 years..

I replaced them yesterday with Ultra Mounts.. got all kinds of vibes, mostly at idle, and sub 1500 rpm.

not CRAZY, kind of feels like driving a boat with the way I feel the engine in my seat.

what about this flywheel.. it says 1997 - 2004 LS1 / LS6 (jegs Part# 555-601260) for 100 bucks.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...ductId=1221208

then for a centerforce clutch (Jegs pn 183-381017) for 129.99

http://www.jegs.com/i/Centerforce/18...oductId=746179

Centerforce Pressure Plate (Jegs pn# 183-CF3600010) for 255.99

http://www.jegs.com/i/Centerforce/18...oductId=746179

The clutch and flywheel say they are for 1997-2004 Corvette LS1

Any Thoughts?

CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    I'm getting a new flywheel under warranty sometime soon, it's coming from lansing.

I didn't want it (wanted to install a lighter one, but theyll only do gm parts), but of course I'm going to let them just to make sure my transmission isnt jacked up before I say bye bye to the warranty.

Stiffer mounts certainly exacerbate any existing vibrations...

DougNuts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by WesH8398 View Post
    I haven't heard very many who have issues AFTER installing a new clutch... Not the LS7 clutches, anyway.

How does one check his harmonic balancer to see if that's the culprit? Also, is there any way to verify that it's the OEM dual mass causing vibes?
    I installed LS7 clutch (etc.), new ATI damper and CS motor mounts. None of them changed my 2200rpm vibration at all.

I know my damper was going bad because it was wobbling a little, so no problem there. My clutch/flywheel were probably fine.

The driveshaft shouldn't vibrate at the same RPM in all gears, but I'm just about down to that being the only thing left, except the transmission itself. I plan to hook up my GoPro camera and see if I can catch anything on video while driving the car.

In neutral, my engine is not smooth enough to tell if it's doing the vibration at 2200rpm or not.

GDPossehl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

So my vibrations at idle go away once off idle. Clutch in, out, neutral, or in gear doesn't matter. It's just when parked at idle that it vibrates. I was thinking it was just the stock motor mounts. Right side was replaced at 37k (now 92k) and neither appear to be leaking.

DM flywheel or motor mounts?

I plan on replacing the clutch with the LS7 setup, but the stock clutch still feels just fine.
    I'm thinking I'll replace the motor mounts first, and if that doesn't cure the vibrations then a new (better) flywheel will.

Quote Originally Posted by GDPossehl View Post
    So my vibrations at idle go away once off idle. Clutch in, out, neutral, or in gear doesn't matter. It's just when parked at idle that it vibrates. I was thinking it was just the stock motor mounts. Right side was replaced at 37k (now 92k) and neither appear to be leaking.

DM flywheel or motor mounts?

I plan on replacing the clutch with the LS7 setup, but the stock clutch still feels just fine.
    I'm thinking I'll replace the motor mounts first, and if that doesn't cure the vibrations then a new (better) flywheel will.

Stock mounts usually split/separate at the very top, under the heat shield. You may or may not see signs of leaking.

Be advised, vibrations, if in fact solely due to bad stockers, will only be reduced with new stock mounts,.aftermarket will only increase them as they are all stiffer.

I'll have a new stock flywheel in by next week, will advise if that helps at all (I'm at 67k).

Quote Originally Posted by DougNuts View Post
    I installed LS7 clutch (etc.), new ATI damper and CS motor mounts. None of them changed my 2200rpm vibration at all.

I know my damper was going bad because it was wobbling a little, so no problem there. My clutch/flywheel were probably fine.

The driveshaft shouldn't vibrate at the same RPM in all gears, but I'm just about down to that being the only thing left, except the transmission itself. I plan to hook up my GoPro camera and see if I can catch anything on video while driving the car.

In neutral, my engine is not smooth enough to tell if it's doing the vibration at 2200rpm or not.
    So do you only have vibration at 2200, or across the rpm spectrum?

DougNuts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by CadzillaTN View Post
    So do you only have vibration at 2200, or across the rpm spectrum?

Only at 2200rpm ± 500 or so, every single gear. At least it keeps me under 80mph when cruising on the highway.

Here's a link to my thread about it.

Quote Originally Posted by DougNuts View Post

Using a camera under the car to find a vibration doesn't work. the sampling rate on a camera isn't high enough to see a vibration of that freqency.. and if it was high enough the actual movement wont be seen, only felt. crazy how things resonate.

AG'S-V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

All CS mounts (engine, tranny and rear end) and I just put in a LS7 clutch this past weekend.

I get slight vibes all the way to about 3k, seems worse right off idle at 1k-ish...can be replicated revving the engine clutch in or out.

I can deal with them but they are noticeable...I ended up NOT getting the clutch balanced, it might be coming out and getting balanced...this gives me a headache...

Ugh, what all is involved with that?

Pull fw,c,pp and take them all to be balanced as a unit, then mark/install accordingly?

I always wondered if perhaps when the dealer removed my trans to rebuild 1st gear they didn't put it all back together 'just right' like it came from the factory...

I'm not sure what I'm going to do...vibes are terrible at about 1500 rpm. Actually thinking about taking it out and selling it...either putting the stocker back on or getting another brand that doesn't have vibrations, Monster stage 1 or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by AG'S-V View Post
    I'm not sure what I'm going to do...vibes are terrible at about 1500 rpm. Actually thinking about taking it out and selling it...either putting the stocker back on or getting another brand that doesn't have vibrations, Monster stage 1 or 2.

AG's-V ... did you have the vibrations before the new clutch? if so, where they the exact same? or how where they?

I just changed motor mounts to ultra mounts, now I have gnarly vibes. I don't like em. im sure its the stock flywheel (104,000 miles) and I live in Phoenix Az, nice and hot.

where did you get the ls7 kit? how much did it run?.

I had no vibrations with my stock clutch and the CS mounts, I bought it from Luke at Lindsey for about $700 shipped.

Got new stock flywheel, vibes are still there. Piece of sh*t.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.