Want to get a monster clutch, but...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Want to get a monster clutch, but... in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hoping you all can help me out. I have an '05 V with just about 90,000 miles on it and ...
    Whit151 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Want to get a monster clutch, but...

Hoping you all can help me out. I have an '05 V with just about 90,000 miles on it and it's about time for a clutch. I've been doing some checking and want to get a monster clutch to swap out the original. Problem is, the shops that I go to want to only use the clutches they sell... and monster isn't one of them. Anyone have any suggestions on where I can get an aftermarket clutch installed at a decent price (note: I live in the city of Cincinnati). I'm willing to travel.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jaskel is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Maggied CTS-V

Re: Want to get a monster clutch, but...

Not that it will help with your install issue, but I have a brand new in box monster stage 2 clutch, 28# flywheel, remote bleeder, and arp hardware for sale. Got it, ended up needing to get my rear end fixed more than a clutch

whisler151 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor

Looks like Monster has a distributor located in Cincy http://www.cincyperformance.com/

You can look at distributors in your area here http://www.monsterclutch.com/distributors.html#

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Did you try your dealer? Most dealers will install aftermarket parts. They just won't guarantee them or the labor if they fail prematurely.

Koooop is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): A Truck with an LS2 Truck motor

You may want to contact Heavy.

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Koooop View Post
    You may want to contact Heavy.
    I have a brand new clutch from Katech just waiting to replace the Monster (which I have grown to really dislike).

Since I have started driving Mr. Vette, I am in less of a hurry to exchange it out.

(enjoying Mr. Vette).

CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq

Quote Originally Posted by heavymetals View Post
    I have a brand new clutch from Katech just waiting to replace the Monster (which I have grown to really dislike).

Since I have started driving Mr. Vette, I am in less of a hurry to exchange it out.

(enjoying Mr. Vette).
    Heavy go ahead and just sell me that LS9 POS. You don't wanna mess with it....I got $600.

OP Stick with stage II or below if you want to stay with Monster. Stage III + is asking for hell.

Thanks. Contacted Cincy Performance before and haven't heard back from them. Hopefully this one will be different.

I'm not looking to do anything crazy with my V - won't be doing forced induction or anything that serious. If I do anything, I'll probably throw some cams in or something. Don't get me wrong, I like boost, but not for this car.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Whit151 View Post
    If I do anything, I'll probably throw some cams in or something.
    I think you can only throw one cam in at a time.

whisler151 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor

Quote Originally Posted by CancerJCC View Post
    OP Stick with stage II or below if you want to stay with Monster. Stage III + is asking for hell.
    Yes, I would recommend the Level II as well. I've had it in for nearly 2 years and its great. I have heard that the Level III is pretty sticky and has a lot of chatter. I would not go to the Level III unless you are over 575rwhp and do a lot of drag racing. If so, that clutch will hold you just fine. But it will suck on the street from the reviews i've read.
    lollygagger8 and lollygagger8 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by whisler151 View Post
    Yes, I would recommend the Level II as well. I've had it in for nearly 2 years and its great. I have heard that the Level III is pretty sticky and has a lot of chatter. I would not go to the Level III unless you are over 575rwhp and do a lot of drag racing. If so, that clutch will hold you just fine. But it will suck on the street from the reviews i've read.
    Yep you and a couple others are why I don't tell people to completely stay away from Monster. The level II sounds like it does great but the level III is a nightmare!

BTW You wife drives one freaking badass truck! lol

silver02stang is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): LS6 CTS-V

I had a level II in mine but the only thing I would suggest if you're running the LS6 is to either run with the 28# flywheel vs. the 18# flywheel OR find out if Monster will sell you a disc that's NOT dual friction (although you'll lose some holding power). I was "tolerant" of mine but with city driving the dual friction disc would heat up due to having to slip the clutch for smooth take offs and after a little while would start to squeal pretty bad. I'd have to jump on it pretty hard a couple times to "fix" it. It seems that those with LS2's don't seem to have the issue quite as much - the only thing I can figure is that it may have something to do with the 6.0 having a bit more torque at lower rpms to get these pigs moving. So as far as I'm concerned: ls2 = 18#; ls6 28# - this is my theory.

Just a quick update... I've contacted a couple of distributors that are near me - with the only one contacting me back being 90 miles away (I guess the place about 15 minutes away from me didn't want my business - the place in Kentucky e-mailed me about 20 minutes after I sent them an e-mail at about 11:30 p.m.).

I found a place that is trying to be the big distributor and installer here in town and they called Monster to be a distributor of their products - and also to get one for me. According to the installer, the company told him that I would need to get a C6 Premium Chromoly package to put in. This makes no sense to me whatsoever, but wanted to double check with some folks on here to see if this is correct. Like I said, I'm not trying to put big power in here.

Does this sound right?

Thats true. I think the only thing the "premium" package has that you need is the slave though. I could be wrong so double check but I do recall ordering the most expensive package they had (what he is saying you need).

If I were you and knowing what I know now about drive ability with these clutches.....I would go with a twin disc. There is a reason that a lot of the Monster guys are buying or looking at the LS9 setup. Myself included but this time I'm waiting for a year + from everyone before I jump on the bandwagon. Good luck with whatever you decide but if ANY chatter or drive ability issues are unacceptable I would look elsewhere....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.