How to replace starter's piggy back connector
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, How to replace starter's piggy back connector in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hey guys. My starter's been on the fritz and I'm replacing it this weekend. I had a look the other ...
    WesH8398 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

How to replace starter's piggy back connector

Hey guys. My starter's been on the fritz and I'm replacing it this weekend. I had a look the other day and snapped a few pics of the toasted and broken piggy back connector. I wonder if the starter itself is actually fine, but the broken connector is actually what's causing the problems. Regardless, I want to know how I can replace this connector, or of it's even possible. Any ideas? Part numbers would be great too, if anyone knows em.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Slithering_Joe is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, Powered by Chevrolet

Re: How to replace starter's piggy back connector

For reference:

ACDelco PT170 (GM 12101763) starter connector and wire replacement pack.
    (Cooked connector shown at right hand side in photo.)
    Don't be surprised if the connection internal to the solenoid body is bad.

AWESOME!! thanks a million!

CI-V-IL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Raven Black CTS-V

Mine was roasted too! I have it temporarily held in with a zip tie until I can fix it.....ghetto!!!!

kevm14 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray CTS-V

What orientation is the solenoid connector normally? When looking up from the bottom, I am looking at the top of the connector, where the clasp is. It seems like I should be looking more at the side of it, similar to the orientation shown in the pigtail image.

crazybiker51 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 cts-v, toyota rock crawler with 472

mines toasted a bit too, and for a while my car wouldn't start, i have tightened up the power wire like crazy, and it seemed to help for a few months, now when i tighten it the solenoid pack starts to move, worked good a while longer after that, crapped out yesterday again tho! im thinking it may be either the solenoid connection? or that wire that looks nice and toasted, maybe i'll order in that delco part number and giver a shot

The connector on mine roasted. Then about a week later the connection inside the solenoid opened.

Stepside is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 DTS performance; CowboyCadillac='12 SVT Raptor

I've read enough of these stories, so I purchased a Starter Heat Shield Blanket from Summit Racing. Fast delivery, too.

Hopefully you guys are still watching this thread. I have a concern/question about the new piggy back connector. I've got everything installed and the V is starting like a champ again, but I didn't foil/heat/protect wrap the new piggy back wire like GM did with the rest of the wiring in that area, nor did I shrink wrap the sleeve connector that connects the original piggy back wire to the new one. I didn't have that foil type of tape, and to be frank I didnt have much time and I just needed to get the job done.
    What I DID do was cut that starter heat wrap blanket in half (~4" wide) and wrap it around the solenoid, starter motor, and connections. There wasn't enough room to get the 7" wide wrap around the entire assembly, which is why I cut it in half and protected from where the solenoid starts, forward. So the plastic piggy back connector itself is protected, and I tucked the new wire behind the starter/heat wrap and away from the exhaust manifold as much as possible, but it's still going to be exposed to some significant heat.
    My question is, Is that thing just going to melt if it's not insulated in some type of tape?

Quote Originally Posted by WesH8398 View Post
    ... nor did I shrink wrap the sleeve connector that connects the original piggy back wire to the new one. I didn't have that foil type of tape, and to be frank I didnt have much time and I just needed to get the job done.
    Not quite following you on your explaination but make sure the connection can never touch ground. (???)

Quote Originally Posted by WesH8398 View Post
    ...What I DID do was cut that starter heat wrap blanket in half (~4" wide) and wrap it around the solenoid, starter motor, and connections. There wasn't enough room to get the 7" wide wrap around the entire assembly, which is why I cut it in half and protected from where the solenoid starts, forward. So the plastic piggy back connector itself is protected, and I tucked the new wire behind the starter/heat wrap and away from the exhaust manifold as much as possible, but it's still going to be exposed to some significant heat.
    My question is, Is that thing just going to melt if it's not insulated in some type of tape?
    Looks fine from the pics above. I couldn't either get any material around the mounting base (cast) of the starter but I did get most around the solenoid and the stamped steel portion of the starter. Any protection is way better than what GM offered. As long as the heat shield can block the infrared radiated from the pipe/cat to the starter you should be fine. I used a temp gauge to measure the temp off the pipe/cat and see 650F+ off this area. This will blast a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Slithering_Joe View Post
    Not quite following you on your explaination but make sure the connection can never touch ground. (???)
    Sorry for the shoddy explanation. Here's another try. After you cut the old pigtail off, the new pigtail connects to the existing wire via sleeve connector that you crimp on each end. Often, people place a sleeve of rubberish shrink wrap over this connection and heat it up to make a water tight seal. I didn't do this. I dont imagine it'll be a big deal though. Just wondered about moisture getting in there.

kevm14 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray CTS-V

I don't have a ton of faith in those butt crimps in something exposed to heat and weather like that wire. But this is GM's official recommended repair. Probably enough to get through a warranty period in most cases, so I guess that explains it. Soldering would be a better approach and THEN shrink tubing. Sometimes soldering isn't practical, though.

I solder everything but it was really difficult to get an iron up there along with not having the risk of molten solder landing on me. I just crimped it. The area is shielded from splash and I really doubt that any significant amount of water would reach it or affect it. The heat alone would dry it some. If it was a Jeep that gets submerged in a river than my approach would be different. The V would be in a junk yard with 250,000 miles on it before it would corrode from any water exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by Slithering_Joe View Post
    The V would be in a junk yard with 250,000 miles on it before it would corrode from any water exposure.
    That's reassuring...... I think. LOL

Thanks guys. Appreciate the input.

1badCTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V

Could anybody tell me what that wire does, and could it cause a 'battery not charging' indicator on the NAV screen? I've had my battery and alternator tested, and both checked out, but that little wire in the pictures is fried and barely hanging on.

Thanks,
    Mark

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.