How to replace starter's piggy back connector - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, How to replace starter's piggy back connector in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by 1badCTS-V Could anybody tell me what that wire does, and could it cause a 'battery not charging' ...
    Slithering_Joe is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, Powered by Chevrolet

Re: How to replace starter's piggy back connector

Quote Originally Posted by 1badCTS-V View Post
    Could anybody tell me what that wire does, and could it cause a 'battery not charging' indicator on the NAV screen? I've had my battery and alternator tested, and both checked out, but that little wire in the pictures is fried and barely hanging on.

Thanks,
    Mark
    That single wire to the starter provides power to the starter's internal solenoid when the starter relay in the underhood fuse box is activated/energized. For charging issues you need to verify the wiring for the regulator circuit between the PCM and the alternator's internal regulator (LS6: Gray wire, Orange wire).

1badCTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Slithering_Joe View Post
    That single wire to the starter provides power to the starter's internal solenoid when the starter relay in the underhood fuse box is activated/energized. For charging issues you need to verify the wiring for the regulator circuit between the PCM and the alternator's internal regulator (LS6: Gray wire, Orange wire).
    Thanks! With the engine running, is that a 12V signal?

Slithering_Joe is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, Powered by Chevrolet

Quote Originally Posted by 1badCTS-V View Post
    Thanks! With the engine running, is that a 12V signal?
    Make sure the starter terminals and the battery terminals are tight and clean. Clean doesn't just mean the outside surface of the terminals. A poor connection will raise havoc in all sorts of diagnostic quests.

Alternator:
    The FIELD or "F" connection for the alternator is the GRAY wire. The voltage on this varies depending on how much current the field is creating.
    The LIGHT or "L" connection, ORANGE wire, (conventionally used for the idiot charge Light) is the turn-on for the alternator.
    Without a +12V signal to the "L" terminal the alternator will not charge. It looks like logic in the PCM will provide this signal to the internal voltage regulator of the alternator. Many cars use the ignition switch directly through the charge idiot-light. Assuming that the alternator was checked out properly, I would check the wiring and connections. One special note is that "F" won't work if "L" is not working properly.

Starter:
    If you are talking about the single wire leading to the starter, this will only have +12V when the ignition key is turned to "START" AND the starter relay is switched on assuming everything else within the circuit is OK. The PCM has control of the starter relay. In other words, the PCM has the "final say" on whether to energize the starter. Normally, no voltage is found on this lead.

coltmckinney is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Mine just crumbled apart in my hands too! It was so bad, I couldn't even tell what wire went were.
    So just to be sure, there are only two wires going to the solenoid, correct? the one pigtail that crumbled (about a 12 guage?) and the thicker wire that goes on the solenoid terminal end, tightened with a nut. Is that right?

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by coltmckinney View Post
    Mine just crumbled apart in my hands too! It was so bad, I couldn't even tell what wire went were.
    So just to be sure, there are only two wires going to the solenoid, correct? the one pigtail that crumbled (about a 12 guage?) and the thicker wire that goes on the solenoid terminal end, tightened with a nut. Is that right?
    I have not yet had to replace that wiring on my V, but as I read the Service Manual material (and diagram) the solenoid is connecting by a singe (small0 wire and the 12 gauge wire (cable) attaches to the starter itself.

Faber is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None :(

Quote Originally Posted by coltmckinney View Post
    Correct - I'm in the process of replacing mine, just waiting on parts...

Now I'm stuck at the cat. Can't get it off. I successfully removed the two nuts at the down pipe and the 2 nuts on the other side of the cat. I can't pull it down. Is there something downstream I still need to remove??

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

That sounds like all the hardware you have to take off. Is it wedged where it ties to the catback - there is a donut/double cone gasket there that might jam. Also the thing does have some weight to it.

Thanks for that, Darkman. I realized I had to remove the two nuts on the catalytic converter to exhaust manifold on the driver side too then down it all went. You're right, it is heavy...
    Still can't get the starter out because the rear most bolt on the exhaust manifold is preventing removal of it.... so I got out my sawzaw and began cutting away at the lower 1/3 of that bold but I think it's made of diamonds or something becausse I've gone through two sawzaw blades so far and only 1/2 way through the bolt. SO! I'm off to Depot to buy more blades.

So now that I essentially have the cats fully removed, I looked at my Summit mag. Would be nice to just put in some high-flo cats but none seems like they are direct replacements. ie) looks like I'd have to buy connectors and collectors and such.

Then ALSO while I'm at it, may as well install some quick-time cutouts, right?? Wouldn't that be cool. I probably won't though. Don't know what size to get and not sure how to install...

Thanks for that, Darkman. I realized I had to remove the two nuts on the catalytic converter to exhaust manifold on the driver side too then down it all went. You're right, it is heavy...
    Still can't get the starter out because the rear most bolt on the exhaust manifold is preventing removal of it.... so I got out my sawzaw and began cutting away at the lower 1/3 of that bold but I think it's made of diamonds or something becausse I've gone through two sawzaw blades so far and only 1/2 way through the bolt. SO! I'm off to Depot to buy more blades.

So now that I essentially have the cats fully removed, I looked at my Summit mag. Would be nice to just put in some high-flo cats but none seems like they are direct replacements. ie) looks like I'd have to buy connectors and collectors and such.

Then ALSO while I'm at it, may as well install some quick-time cutouts, right?? Wouldn't that be cool. I probably won't though. Don't know what size to get and not sure how to install...

IMG_1356.JPG

Faber is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None :(

I ended up being able to maneuver the starter out with just the cats/exhaust out of the way. Took some effort to twist it the right way, but didn't need to shave a bolt. I ended up having to basically drop all of the exhaust hangers and pull the exhaust back to get the cat out. Just too tight otherwise.

Cool Re: How to replace starter's piggy back connector

I finally was able to cut that bolt off using a Dewalt blade. Then the starter came right out. I bought a roll of silver thermal tape and wrapped the solenoid and wiring then put in the new starter and put everything back together again. She started right up!!

54inches is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 V

I am not sure if you guys know, but the CTSV starter is the only starter that I have found that uses this connector.

My solution and what I would suggest. Go get a starter from a 6.0 Chevy truck. It takes a ring terminal.

With your busted connector, remove all plastic and crimp on a ring terminal and you are forever done.

I wrapped mine as well and it is much quieter and now protected.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.