V-day 5 june 24 - Page 9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, V-day 5 june 24 in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by Aurora40 Oh, whoever recommended that ArmorAll wheel protector stuff, kudos to you! My wheels were absolutely mint ...
    rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Re: V-day 5 june 24

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora40 View Post
    Oh, whoever recommended that ArmorAll wheel protector stuff, kudos to you! My wheels were absolutely mint looking at the end of the day. I was blown away by that.
    That'd be JimmyH, IIRC.

Dang! No pics of guys going down straights or around corners?!! What's up with that?!! C'mon guys, post 'em up!
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Aurora40 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V

Here's a few short clips of cars going down the track. Mostly my car, but it was my wife filming, so what do you expect...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VyL4ohSCjI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6cxmpksltA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odhaqfqAIcA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXoEGrdO2yA

AAIIIC is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora40 View Post
    I guess I didn't realize how much gas gets used up, I was at about 1/4 of a tank, and on the second lap my engine died approaching turn 3.
    Hmmm, if only someone had posted advice about how to prevent fuel starvation...

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    I don't know why it says to fill the tank only 3/4 full. And you might not be able to get to 1/4 tank before encountering fuel starvation. I leave "Fuel Used" called up on top of the Nav screen, and find that with R-compounds, I've gotten fuel starvation at 11.2gal used. So, I now fill up when I get to 10gal used. (That's a bit below 1/2 tank indicated on my car...)
    The big annoyance of the day for me was that my Chase Cam setup didn't want to work. For some reason the digital recorder wouldn't acknowledge that it was receiving video input from either camera, thus it wouldn't record anything. I haven't run the setup in the Subaru since I added the GPS, g-sensor, and OBD2 datalogging, so I was really curious to see what data the Subaru would generate.

With my instructor in the car I was topping out around 110mph into the braking zone for turn 1. With him out of the car I picked up another 3mph or so. Woohoo! Looking at my video footage from the V when I was at Summit back in March, I was faster between 9 and 10 (~117mph under the bridge) than the Subaru is on the main straight. On the main straight the V is already doing ~115mph at pit out, which is faster than the Subaru is doing when I hit the brakes a couple thousand feet later.

With that said, it was definitely nice to not have to worry about the brakes. I was braking at the 3 marker, and could've gone a little deeper. I hadn't even bothered to install the cooling ducts on the car, as I didn't think the brakes would be an issue. Doing some quick math, with the added ~800# and 25-30mph, the V is shedding almost 80% more kinetic energy in the braking zone for turn 1.

Hmmm, if only someone had posted advice about how to prevent fuel starvation...
    Heheh, yeah yeah... I filled up the car before driving out there. I didn't realize you could use up so much gas, it didn't seem like I was out there all that long. I didn't really notice it was getting low until it was too late, there's so much going on all the time, I just didn't think about it.

ahahnu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 LS6 Stealth Grey

Had a great time yesterday. Great to see everyone. Nice to meet some new people and see some familiar faces. V1 numbers are dwindling. Many more V2s and a coupe on the track. Just got home from my adventure about an hour ago. VdayV was a great success. Pulled some new personal highs on the g meter 1.08(L) 1.04(R) and in my instructors opinion did real well with my lines through the turns. As for the car, well it definitly didn't leave in the same shape it went. The gas issue... When leaving I has less then 1/4 a tank on the gauge. I filled up and put in 16.6 gallons! A few people had starvation from what I herd. Most if not everyone herd the car "creaking" when manuvering around the pits. I only herd that last night a little on my trip from Summit Point to Carlisle. Not once today from Carlisle to home did I hear it. However last night after I left the track I started hearing an audible screaching sound. Sounded like it was coming from my belt. AS the RPMs would go up it would get louder. Now I'm driving all back roads and as I'd enter towns for some reason lots of people were out and about. My car is screaching and creaking loudly causing lots of people to turn around. Needless to say it was quite embarrassing and interesting to say the least. Today, no screaching, just no A/C.

At the GM Nationals I saw a few Vs. Meguire's car products had a big semi there and on one side was a black V1 and the other was a V2 coupe. Some other person along the manufacture's midway had a coupe with a Lindsay badge. In the Cadillac area I was the only V1 and there were two silver and two black V2s. One V2 had 630hp to the wheels and sounded incredible. Had the engine area all carbon fiber (swade) and had all the chrone trim smoked. Looked real sweet. The burnt orange GTO from Vday (yellow group) was there as well. Didn't see the owner though. I did make out real nice here. After walking the field I came back to find a sticker and note saying I won a celebrity choice award. The person who selected me was Bill Miller the owner of the fairgrounds! I am quite honored.

Sunday Morning Update: Today I was finally able to give a good look into the engine compartment and see the smaller of the two belts on the engine is split in two and off of the pulleys on the engine... And when backing out of the garage I heard the loud creaking. Oh well.

ahahnu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 LS6 Stealth Grey

This is at Carlisle

VdayV

As the rep said "The engine is set a little lower and further back then stock."

LS-A

I love the metal flake in the Black Diamond paint. Almost looked silver in the sun.

Check out the brake dust

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Glad you guys had fun! As did I, just did it shooting the p00p instead of driving...

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by ahahnu View Post
    ... As the rep said "The engine is set a little lower and further back then stock."

GREAT intake!
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

jwilson2598 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by ahahnu View Post
    At the GM Nationals I saw a few Vs. Meguire's car products had a big semi there and on one side was a black V1 and the other was a V2 coupe. Some other person along the manufacture's midway had a coupe with a Lindsay badge. In the Cadillac area I was the only V1 and there were two silver and two black V2s. One V2 had 630hp to the wheels and sounded incredible. Had the engine area all carbon fiber (swade) and had all the chrone trim smoked. Looked real sweet. The burnt orange GTO from Vday (yellow group) was there as well. Didn't see the owner though. I did make out real nice here. After walking the field I came back to find a sticker and note saying I won a celebrity choice award. The person who selected me was Bill Miller the owner of the fairgrounds! I am quite honored.
    I wish I had seen you near your car, I would have said hi. Very nice looking ride, I was up for the day myself. Congrats on winning the award!

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    GREAT intake!
    Does anyone repro that restrictor? It looks sexy! I'd rock that thing, and slap some badges on it.

JDB
    JDB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 Raven/Ebony CTS-V with toys

Because years of people open tracking and racing LS motors has shown that they are susceptible to oil starvation issues, particularly when running on sticky tires. Long left-hand turns in particular seem to be the Achilles' heel. Running an extra 1/2 to 1qt has been shown to help.

See you kids bright and early!
    Interesting...good to know. So, the manual says 6.0 is the capacity yet people are putting in 6.5 for normal daily driving. If I put in 6.0 with the larger M1 filter, dip stick reads just below full...maybe 7/8ths between the MIN and MAX marks. So, maybe the extra space is in the oil filter and 6.25 quarts would make it full (depending upon how much you can get out on ramps). Saying that, how much over "full" are people running on the track? 7.0 qts total??...that would be about .75 qts over full on the dip stick. Where on the dip stick are people filling to?

I assume we're doing this because of oil starvation issues, but we don't want to add to much and have the crank splashing in the oil in the pan = foam.

Did you break open your motor yet to see what caused your issue?

AAIIIC is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

I believe the manual says 6qt + filter for the LS6, which works out to roughly 6.5qt for me. I add about 1/2qt beyond that when I go to the track. As you said, you don't want the oil level too high to keep it below the crank.

FWIW, running 1/2 to 1qt extra is hardly specific to LS motors. I would say such measures are pretty common at track days regardless of marque.

As for my engine, based on what I've seen thus far, I think the rod bolts on #5 failed and everything cascaded from there. The #5 rod and piston are gone, #6 rod is broken but the two ends are still attached to the piston and crank.

JDB
    JDB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 Raven/Ebony CTS-V with toys

I believe the manual says 6qt + filter for the LS6, which works out to roughly 6.5qt for me. I add about 1/2qt beyond that when I go to the track. As you said, you don't want the oil level too high to keep it below the crank.

FWIW, running 1/2 to 1qt extra is hardly specific to LS motors. I would say such measures are pretty common at track days regardless of marque.

As for my engine, based on what I've seen thus far, I think the rod bolts on #5 failed and everything cascaded from there. The #5 rod and piston are gone, #6 rod is broken but the two ends are still attached to the piston and crank.
    Thanks, will do. I'm headed to NJMP on T'bolt with PCA on 7/8 with some old Audi buddies, which none of them are bringing an Audi....most are bringing M3s or a Porsche, and an Exige and my V.

Sucks about your motor. New motor time? Plans? GL!

Here's one novice lap around Summit Main in my car:

[youtube]-CPXSffoqxs[/youtube]

Video was taken with my cell phone, but it's decent quality. The audio is pretty bad, it picks up a lot of wind noise.

rjoffe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

How did you have your phone mounted ?
    1madstsv and 1madstsv like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.