V-day 5 june 24 - Page 8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, V-day 5 june 24 in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hello all - I will be ther again this year - Not going to miss any if could - that ...
    qqik4u is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V

Re: V-day 5 june 24

Hello all - I will be ther again this year - Not going to miss any if could - that one's a year event that all must go: see you all there - BTW I decided to keep my 06 V and coupe will have to wait.....

Aurora40 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by ahahnu View Post
    In the Vday III thread (located in the sticky of questions) page 2 or 3 has a great list of over all stuff.
    This: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post1794290

Thanks for the heads up on it. Though I was hoping for a few small things, like add an extra quart of oil or that sort of thing. That post runs the gamut from change your brake fluid to get a bigger power steering cooler.

Do I need to remove the wheel center caps? If so, I wish I'd thought of it when the wheels were off to bleed the brakes...

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

That list is certainly comprehensive, but it's probably overkill in some respects, and some of the comments are just wrong (IMO). I won't quote the whole thing, but addressing the things I think are inaccurate:

Running an extra 1/2qt of oil is a good idea. (The comment at that link that says, "Mobile [sic] 1 5w30 for racing, 10w30 for normal driving," is one that I would take issue with. Running a thinner oil for hard track running doesn't make any sense.)

There's no need to flush and refill the coolant system just to go to the track. My coolant has been changed once in 69k miles, and that was because the dealer had to remove the radiator to do other work.

I did my first couple/few events, and a couple auto-x events, with the stock PS fluid. It did eventually kill the pump, but I really think that was more the auto-x events rather than the track events. If your PS fluid is due for replacement, then I would definitely use good synthetic, but if it looks clean, I'm not sure I would bother changing the PS fluid just for a single track day.

Center caps don't have to come out, although it's not unheard of for cars to lose center caps on track (which is why some clubs require you to remove them). I know I lost a couple on my Subaru once, but they don't snap into the wheel nearly as tightly as the V ones do, so take that with a grain of salt.

Use blue painter's tape (rather than duct tape) if you want to tape off the front of the car, tape off your headlights, etc etc. There's no need to do either, but some people do. The front of the car does get "sand blasted" over time when you're running 130+mph on track. I didn't notice it after my first couple events, but now that the car has done 20+ days on track it's definitely noticeable. Some also put tape on the rockers behind the wheels, as that's a common area for rubber marks, so the tape just makes clean up after the event easier. I'm assuming there will be a photographer at the event, in which case some blue tape on the car might make it easier for you to find your car amongst the various Vs that are all the same color.

32/33psi in the tires seems pretty low to me. Obviously it depends on the tires, but when I was running street tires I was aiming for 40-42psi hot, which probably means you'll be starting in the mid/upper 30s cold. 40-42# seemed to work well both for Falken FK452s and Bridgestone RE01Rs. The TPMS sensors come in handy for figuring out what hot temperatures work on track, when the tires start to feel greasy, etc.

I don't know why it says to fill the tank only 3/4 full. And you might not be able to get to 1/4 tank before encountering fuel starvation. I leave "Fuel Used" called up on top of the Nav screen, and find that with R-compounds, I've gotten fuel starvation at 11.2gal used. So, I now fill up when I get to 10gal used. (That's a bit below 1/2 tank indicated on my car, so apparently someone at Cadillac isn't very good at math! )

I've never seen anyone put tape on their steering wheel to mark 12 o'clock.

The sunroof is required to be closed, and it has nothing to do with adding structural rigidity!

Typically a window must be rolled down if someone is in the associated seat. So, if you have an instructor, both front windows will be down. People have had problems with the "sail panels" (interior trim between the rear window and the rear doors) popping off at speed if the rear windows are down, so I always leave my rear windows up. If I don't have an instructor/passenger, I leave that front window up, too.

It can't hurt to have wheel chocks, but I just leave the car in gear and shut it off. The paddock is pretty much flat, so the car's not going to go anywhere. Applying the parking brake after coming off the track could warp the rear rotors and could result in the parking brake getting stuck (as the hot rotors contract). I've never actually seen anyone encounter either of those problems, but everyone says not to apply the parking brake for those reasons, so I don't.

JDB
    JDB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 Raven/Ebony CTS-V with toys

Why you would add too much oil is beyond me. Just check that you're at Max/Full at the lunch break.

Be safe by watching every flag station, listen to your instructors, give people space, and don't be a meathead by not pointing people by who are behind you...aliens didn't drop them there...if they're faster than you some place on the track, then point them by and learn why they're quicker and pass them back.

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    Use blue painter's tape (rather than duct tape) if you want to tape off the front of the car, tape off your headlights, etc etc. There's no need to do either, but some people do. The front of the car does get "sand blasted" over time when you're running 130+mph on track. I didn't notice it after my first couple events, but now that the car has done 20+ days on track it's definitely noticeable. Some also put tape on the rockers behind the wheels, as that's a common area for rubber marks, so the tape just makes clean up after the event easier. I'm assuming there will be a photographer at the event, in which case some blue tape on the car might make it easier for you to find your car amongst the various Vs that are all the same color.
    Thanks for the post. Your thoughts on much of it were similar to mine.

As for the tape, I use this product: http://prowax.com/specialty_products...Bug_Guard.html

I don't track my car, so I can't say for sure it works for that. But you can spray it on fairly thick if you do a couple of coats. The car looks normal except from close up where it's a little cloudy/goopy looking. Tape always weirds me out. For one, it's not all that thick. But for two, if a rock does chip the paint, it seems like the paint could peel it off and exacerbate the problem on removal.

I've coated my front end up with it, though. And used that Armor-All stuff on the wheels. We'll see how it all fares soon enough!

I suspect the parking brake thing is more a problem when you have a caliper-activated brake. Our drum-in-hat one seems unlikely to be a problem, but as you say, better safe than sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by JDB View Post
    Why you would add too much oil is beyond me.
    Because years of people open tracking and racing LS motors has shown that they are susceptible to oil starvation issues, particularly when running on sticky tires. Long left-hand turns in particular seem to be the Achilles' heel. Running an extra 1/2 to 1qt has been shown to help.

See you kids bright and early!

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Today's the day, you lucky dawgs!

Have a great V-Day!!!
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    :jealous:

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Just checking in ...

What, no "incidents" yet? J/k ... you guys enjoy this day!
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

JFensty is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 04 Blk Cts-V
    Didn't run today but had a blast watching the action. Worth the trip. Def will be driving mine next year.

JDB
    JDB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 Raven/Ebony CTS-V with toys

The only incident that I saw was an original tire on an early V2 split and created a slow leak. The Cadillac guys that were there showcasing the V2 Coupe, , Sedan, and Wagon... they pulled the same wheel off of the show sedan and swapped it over so that he could get home. Talk about brand loyalty... and going above and beyond.

jwilson2598 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

That's pretty impressive on their part, kudos to them for doing that.

It was pretty incident-free. And a total blast! I confess, I beached my car on the 2nd to last novice session. I guess I didn't realize how much gas gets used up, I was at about 1/4 of a tank, and on the second lap my engine died approaching turn 3. I pushed the clutch in because it was pretty rough, which in retrospect was pretty dumb. Because I lost all power steering and brakes and went into the gravel. So sorry for anyone incovenienced by the yellow or by me limping back to the pit.

I did join a certain club though, I was pretty surprised to see this after the second session:

gold_brakes.jpg

All in all a good day. I obviously missed having my V out there, but the Subaru ran well all day.

Cadillac Racing was there with their big display rig, which was damn impressive. Here it was in the morning before they pulled out the race car and set up all the static displays and video monitors and what-not:

Of course, a couple shots of Andy's coupe:

In normal pictures you don't get to see details like the adjustability of the rear wing:

Mr. Tener from Cadillac gave a nice little talk at lunch about how the V Division has really revitalized the brand and made a lot of people take notice. He pointed out that the V is outselling the M5 and E63 combined, the V sedan is outselling the M3 sedan, and the V coupe is neck-and-neck with the M3 coupe. I'm not surprised the V is outselling the M5 and E63, but the fact it's outselling them combined is pretty damn impressive.

I talked with him a little over by the display later in the afternoon. The first thing I asked was, "I'm not sure if you're the man to ask or if you're involved at all in the program, but what's the story on the ATS-V?" He deferred on that one, said something along the lines of, "Nobody is the right man to ask on that one, it's very close hold at this point." So, no scoops there.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Oh, whoever recommended that ArmorAll wheel protector stuff, kudos to you! My wheels were absolutely mint looking at the end of the day. I was blown away by that.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.