Took my bone stock 2007 CTS-V to the track today - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Took my bone stock 2007 CTS-V to the track today in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Great time! I just picked up an '07, and I've been looking for a thread with 1/4-mile times. Kinda surprised ...
    DRod is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V :: K&N CAI | MAMO FAST 102 | KOOKS HEADERS

Re: Took my bone stock 2007 CTS-V to the track today

Great time! I just picked up an '07, and I've been looking for a thread with 1/4-mile times. Kinda surprised there isn't one actually. The 2009+ guys have one.

So, now I've got a new goal. I definitely wondered whether or not these were capable of 12.9x times bone stock. And now I know. Can't wait to give it a whirl.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

And I used to be impressed with my 13.5 on RS-A tires. Damn. That's an excellent time.

I agree with the others, you don't want to make a habit of runs like that in this car.

tweeter81 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

There is a reason that there isn't a 1/4 Mile time thread. Research, wheelhop and stock rear diff problems.

Drive your car however you want to and have fun with it, but these cars are terrible drag cars, and most people never run decent (or even respectable) times (without dropping HUGE amounts of money on the car) and/or break diffs on the track sometimes. Either way, those situations are to be avoided. Do yourself a favor and try an HPDE on a road course, and you will never go back to drag racing. Just my two cents. I will shut up now and let this thread go on.

Disclaimer: This post isn't for the old CTS-V crowd, this is targeted at the new guys who haven't been around these cars or forums for that long who might not have a clue about the vast amount of documented diff problems/drag strip breakdowns/wheelhop carnage. Just trying to help out.

well, if you think about it, you really don't want to drag race any car alot that was not built for it. I have seen plenty of drivetrains break at the track.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    well, if you think about it, you really don't want to drag race any car alot that was not built for it. I have seen plenty of drivetrains break at the track.
    Exactly, and our cars happen to be even more prone to breakage at the track than the average sports/luxury/high horsepower car. I don't like it and I'm not proud of it, but thems the facts.

DWF0551 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Wow great times, my very first 1/4 mile run, 1st car after rain delay, fresh VHT on the track, dumped the clutch at 3k rpm and snapped dr side axle it didn't even get a chance to wheel hop. I welded another pipe to the bottom of the stock shifter and moved the control rod down to shorten the throw, I like it. I believe your missing 2nd and 4th gears may be related to clutch hydraulic fluid contamination. Use a turkey baster and suck the fluid out of the clutch reservoir and put in fresh, pump the clutch due this many times. I do it over a number of days. Both these upgrades have threads about them. Welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by DWF0551 View Post
    dumped the clutch at 3k rpm and snapped dr side axle
    I was at the track once, saw two cars, right in a row, do that. A Mustang, and a Cutlass, I think.

DRod is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V :: K&N CAI | MAMO FAST 102 | KOOKS HEADERS

Quote Originally Posted by tweeter81 View Post
    There is a reason that there isn't a 1/4 Mile time thread. Research, wheelhop and stock rear diff problems.
    I hear you loud & clear. I used to own a Grand Prix GTP. Same situation. Diff made of styrofoam. Transmission made of butter. But it was fun to run down the track. Regardless, I'll be taking you up on the road course suggestion. THAT will be a blast!

Quote Originally Posted by DRod View Post
    I hear you loud & clear. I used to own a Grand Prix GTP. Same situation. Diff made of styrofoam. Transmission made of butter. But it was fun to run down the track. Regardless, I'll be taking you up on the road course suggestion. THAT will be a blast!
    Good man, good man! You won't regret it. The weird thing about our cars is even though they don't like the drag strip, they run better and better the harder you flog them on the track. When we actually use the car for the purpose that the GM designers envisioned for it, it is plain to see how great the chasis, suspension, and motor is. I haven't reached the limits of what my V can do yet (maybe never will), but the harder I drive her, the better she performs and the more fun I have.

PISNUOFF Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mangtas83 View Post
    are they really that weak that i should be worried on street tires? I would think cutting 2.1 and 2.0 60FTs would mean my diff is safe lol
    Your '07 diff will be fine. I beat the living dog snot out of mine for years with over 400 rwHp without having any diff problems. I twisted off a stub shaft in it once and it still hasn't broken. I also drive through the wheel hop All the time. I now have over 1500 miles of flogging it with over 500 rwHp and it's not giving me any issues. I've also make about 40 passes down the 1/4 with quite a few 60' just under 2.0.

I've also done about 18 road course track days and they are a ton more fun than the 1/4. A ton more expensive also.

Keep driving it how you want, I seriously don't think you'll have any diff problem.

Mangtas83 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

How hard is it installing a shifter on this car? In my Mustang the shifter cover that popped off and it was real simple, doesnt look like the shifter boot pops off on this car, does it have to be done from under the car?

got cutouts and air filter now...when it cools off shooting for a 12.9!

carlson_mn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Platinum 06 CTS-V, kooks, magnaflow

sub'd to see massive gains due to the air filter mod! jk. good luck though.

Quote Originally Posted by carlson_mn View Post
    sub'd to see massive gains due to the air filter mod! jk. good luck though.
    hahaha i just want a 12.9 damnit
    My last 3 mustangs and now this car, all in the 13s i'm ready for a 12 sec slip

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.