Hitch instll on CTS-V, do you have to cut the fascia?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Hitch instll on CTS-V, do you have to cut the fascia? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I have been doing some research on the forums here and can't really find a definitive answer. If you have ...
    munsonbw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Hitch instll on CTS-V, do you have to cut the fascia?

I have been doing some research on the forums here and can't really find a definitive answer. If you have installed one of the hitches available (or know someone who has) can you comment on if the fascia/bumper needed to be cut and what brand it was? Also, how high is the receiver itself? I also would like to use my hitch mounted bike rack, but it might gab the ground if the receiver is too low.

I am surprised at how polarizing the concept of a hitch on a V is. I really need the ability to tow a 4x8 trailer with the odd tree or bag of mulch for the home improvement projects. I would rather not buy an SUV over the V and at the weight I am talking I have no concerns over its ability. I am just pissed that the wife's 530 wagon doesn't get a tow rating in the USA. That would have been ideal.

Thanks,
    Ben

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Andringa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk

Re: Hitch instll on CTS-V, do you have to cut the fascia?

You can install a hitch on the CTS-V and you do not have to modify the rear bumper to use it. Most installs end up with the receiver just below the spare wheel well I don't believe that ground clearance would be a major concern. Because there is no good way to mount a hitch on the V most of the hitches seem to suggest a limit of 1000 - 1500lbs.

There is a video of an install linked in this thread.
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ar-option.html

repenttokyo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

i really, really wish i could tow my track miata with my V. it looks like i'm going to have to buy a tow vehicle this summer, which sucks because I just don't have the space for one.

Thanks for the confirmation, Andringa. I did see that video, but noticed it was for the CTS. I assumed the chassis and subframe were the same, but was not sure if the rear bumper had a lower valance or not. Good to know. The most I would ever tow with the V would be ~700#... my Triumph Scrambler on a small trailer. The mounting of the hitch is not that different than my Pontiac Aztek, which is rated to 3500#. It is surprising how strong those unibodies are when the steel is layered and reinforced.

rjoffe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

repenttokyo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by rjoffe View Post
    i can't tow my track car with that.

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Towing with a V....??! Wow

V-Guy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V, Raven/Ebony; Harley Fatboy; Harley Ultra-Classic

Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    Agreed. Just say no.

Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    Why not? Just because it has a special badge and a big motor doesn't mean it is too special to be multi-purpose. Come on here, I'm not talking about towing 3000#s. The car is rated to tow 1000# and that is well within the limits of what I need for this to be my do all car. I understand some people consider these cars to be their babies. I see it as a fun, fast car that can do everything I need it to. The alternative for me is Porsche Cayenne S. Certainly will fit the bill, but why sacrifice fuel economy and speed for the once every 2 months towing? If I could afford a Ferrari and it had a 1000# tow rating I would use it to tow just the same. Its not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by munsonbw View Post
    Why not? Just because it has a special badge and a big motor doesn't mean it is too special to be multi-purpose. Come on here, I'm not talking about towing 3000#s. The car is rated to tow 1000# and that is well within the limits of what I need for this to be my do all car. I understand some people consider these cars to be their babies. I see it as a fun, fast car that can do everything I need it to. The alternative for me is Porsche Cayenne S. Certainly will fit the bill, but why sacrifice fuel economy and speed for the once every 2 months towing? If I could afford a Ferrari and it had a 1000# tow rating I would use it to tow just the same. Its not a big deal.
    You are absolutely right and you shouldn't receive any criticism for adding a hitch to your V. It's your car and you should do whatever you'd like with it. I think the only reason that people have an initial negative reaction is that it just seems inapposite to take a suspension that was tuned on the Nürburgring and start treating it like a pickup truck. BUT, to your point, I don't know of any evidence out there that indicates that you'll do any damage to your car.

lilgCTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 06CTS-V BOLT-ON,06JEEP TJ BUILT, 91 350SDL turbo(daily)

us ls2 guys must utilize this hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by V-Guy View Post
    You are absolutely right and you shouldn't receive any criticism for adding a hitch to your V. It's your car and you should do whatever you'd like with it. I think the only reason that people have an initial negative reaction is that it just seems inapposite to take a suspension that was tuned on the Nürburgring and start treating it like a pickup truck. BUT, to your point, I don't know of any evidence out there that indicates that you'll do any damage to your car.
    If the hitch permanently altered the handling, I would understand that argument. My big dilemma in choosing a new car was that it must have some tow rating. I know there are tons of people that tow more than they should with cars and even tow with cars that are not rated to do so. With our lawsuit happy country there is no way I am going to jeopardize my family's well being by towing with a car not approved to do so (should an accident happen). My research has shown the CTS-V is rated for 1000#. If I have misread this please let me know, but if GM says it is OK I would be inclined to believe it will not permanently damage the car.

Believe me, if I had room for a pickup truck I would have one. I am a bit overstocked on toy cars (911 and lotus 7 clone) and parking a crappy truck on the street is not going to get wife approval.

Multiple post.

Quote Originally Posted by munsonbw View Post
    If the hitch permanently altered the handling, I would understand that argument. My big dilemma in choosing a new car was that it must have some tow rating. I know there are tons of people that tow more than they should with cars and even tow with cars that are not rated to do so. With our lawsuit happy country there is no way I am going to jeopardize my family's well being by towing with a car not approved to do so (should an accident happen). My research has shown the CTS-V is rated for 1000#. If I have misread this please let me know, but if GM says it is OK I would be inclined to believe it will not permanently damage the car.

Believe me, if I had room for a pickup truck I would have one. I am a bit overstocked on toy cars (911 and lotus 7 clone) and parking a crappy truck on the street is not going to get wife approval.
    I am actually in a similar situation (minus the wife). I have a boat and a 18' motorcycle trailer that I use to haul two Harleys. Obviously I'm not going to tow either of those with the V. My lease on a Denali ended in October and GMC wanted way too much money for me to buy it, so I just turned it in. Now I have until spring to find an appropriate vehicle to tow my gear. And of course, in my first winter in a decade without a 4-wheel drive vehicle, we're seeing record snows in the Midwest.

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by lilgCTS-V View Post
    us ls2 guys must utilize this hahaha
    Hahahaha

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.