Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Hitch instll on CTS-V, do you have to cut the fascia?

4K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  JimmyH 
#1 ·
I have been doing some research on the forums here and can't really find a definitive answer. If you have installed one of the hitches available (or know someone who has) can you comment on if the fascia/bumper needed to be cut and what brand it was? Also, how high is the receiver itself? I also would like to use my hitch mounted bike rack, but it might gab the ground if the receiver is too low.

I am surprised at how polarizing the concept of a hitch on a V is. I really need the ability to tow a 4x8 trailer with the odd tree or bag of mulch for the home improvement projects. I would rather not buy an SUV over the V and at the weight I am talking I have no concerns over its ability. I am just pissed that the wife's 530 wagon doesn't get a tow rating in the USA. That would have been ideal.

Thanks,
Ben

#2 ·
You can install a hitch on the CTS-V and you do not have to modify the rear bumper to use it. Most installs end up with the receiver just below the spare wheel well I don't believe that ground clearance would be a major concern. Because there is no good way to mount a hitch on the V most of the hitches seem to suggest a limit of 1000 - 1500lbs.

There is a video of an install linked in this thread.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/172179-tow-bar-option.html

#4 ·
Thanks for the confirmation, Andringa. I did see that video, but noticed it was for the CTS. I assumed the chassis and subframe were the same, but was not sure if the rear bumper had a lower valance or not. Good to know. The most I would ever tow with the V would be ~700#... my Triumph Scrambler on a small trailer. The mounting of the hitch is not that different than my Pontiac Aztek, which is rated to 3500#. It is surprising how strong those unibodies are when the steel is layered and reinforced.

#8 ·
Agreed. Just say no.

#13 ·
Multiple post.

#16 ·
I am a bit concerned looking at the hitch design. It does not appear to have any horizontal supports? I have been pulling a 14' motorcycle trailer, 400lb bike + supplies (10 gal gass, bike stands, extra tire sets, etc..)

Won't the leverage applied to the hitch, start ripping it apart( I imagine stop and go, being the most destructive). I have yet to recieve the hitch...

#22 ·
If there was a hitch that could disconnect quickly so that it can't be seen I would mount one on the V. I would like to use it for a bike rack and rarely a small trailer.

You guys talking about the drive train not handling it make me laugh. How is 500-1000 pounds going to affect the transmission/diff any differently if it is in the car or behind it? If I have 4 adults in the car and luggage in the trunk that could easily be 500-1000lbs. Unless you are scared to have passengers in your car, you probably shouldn't be scared of a small trailer.

To me, the worst part is how the hitch kits mount to the trunk floor, since there isn't a frame to bolt to back there.

#24 · (Edited)
I am not saying you shouldn't tow a trailer. I am saying I wouldn't.
I have no doubt the chassis and suspension can handle it. My biggest worry is the transmission. Going WFO on the throttle is just a short burst. It's not like you are doing it for hundreds of miles. When you are towing, there is prolonged, constant strain on the gears from all the excess weight. That is what worries me.

#27 ·
I was hoping someone that's been using a V for towing would speak up. I trying to choose between putting a hitch on the V or the wifes Minivan. I just wanna tow 2 Sea Doo's, probably 1,250 lbs total with trailer, gas and all the BS that goes with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.