Resetting the TPS's - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Resetting the TPS's in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Did you rotate without resetting?......
    RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: Resetting the TPS's

Did you rotate without resetting?...
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

JFensty is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 04 Blk Cts-V

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    Did you rotate without resetting?...
    i tried to reset after the driver frt starting going in and out. Then I rotated and have tried three times since to reprogram. Its hard to get to the dealer due to when I work but I think I may have to make a trip. Will their computer be able to reprogram even if it isn't working manually?

if the sensor has gone bad then nothing will work ... sounds like that may be the case here...
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

D3l7a3ch0 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V Black-on-Black

if there's no double honk then it probably didn't take--and what it's showing for "--" as the driver front tire is actually the driver rear tire that's not responding. what's the battery life on these sensors?

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    if the sensor has gone bad then nothing will work ... sounds like that may be the case here...
    I figured that was the case, but I do get a honk on Driver front when I let pressure out. That indicates it is getting a reading Correct? But yet it still reads "---". The pass. rear that was low still read ~33psi even tho it only had 10 psi. I don't want to replace the wrong one and waste money.

Thanks for the help.

Just a little more info, I purchased the car back in Sept '10 and the Dvr frt was not reading at the time of sale. Two days later it came on and stayed on for weeks with no issue. Then went out and has not came back on since. Which is why I have tried to re-program manually and rotate and re-program. Really have no other issues with the car electronically with radio or the like.

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

One of mine went bad last year. Front tires both honked and were programed. But when I got to the RR it would not honk. So I pulled out one of my winter rims, used it in place of the RR. It honked and I moved on to the last rim (LR). Now I have three reading correctly, with "--" in the RR.

What I'm saying is, if one is bad, you'll have to skip that one and the next tire will show in its place. Or just move it to the LR (if you can) and the other three will read correctly until you can get a new sensor.

Tony

repenttokyo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by D3l7a3ch0 View Post
    if there's no double honk then it probably didn't take--and what it's showing for "--" as the driver front tire is actually the driver rear tire that's not responding. what's the battery life on these sensors?
    rfid sensors don't use a battery, they get their power from the signal that is transmitted to them from the reader.

Aurora40 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by JFensty View Post
    I figured that was the case, but I do get a honk on Driver front when I let pressure out. That indicates it is getting a reading Correct? But yet it still reads "---". The pass. rear that was low still read ~33psi even tho it only had 10 psi. I don't want to replace the wrong one and waste money.
    Just a guess, but perhaps it reverts to the previous programming if your attempt is unsuccessful. Which is why it shows the wrong wheel as having a dead sensor.

the car doesn't know you've rotated the tires until you fully program all four tires... so the readings are for where the tires used to be... unless i'm misunderstanding the situation

edit: Aurora40 is correct... it won't shuffle around the location of the tires until you get the ending double honk ... notifying you that the car knows which tire is which and that they're all reading okay

Does it have to be mounted on the car to be programmed? Meaning, if I use my spare to "fool" the system (leave in trunk, until I get the sensor replaced or exchange rims). That way I can at least get to comp mode or turn off stability sys. Not too concerned if it is actually reading the real pressure. Just want to use those functions.

ctsv154 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device

Quote Originally Posted by JFensty View Post
    Does it have to be mounted on the car to be programmed? Meaning, if I use my spare to "fool" the system (leave in trunk, until I get the sensor replaced or exchange rims). That way I can at least get to comp mode or turn off stability sys. Not too concerned if it is actually reading the real pressure. Just want to use those functions.
    No, it doesn't need to be mounted. As long as the car can see it electronically you're good.

RoverGuy7 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

the sensors do have batteries in them, most manufactures expect 7+ years of function from them, dont know what gm says itll be though. i agree you just have a bad sensor in the lr wheel. since it doesnt monitor the spare, id just take it somewhere and have them swap the two sensors, then you should be able to program it up fine and have it be functional

repenttokyo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by RoverGuy7 View Post
    the sensors do have batteries in them, most manufactures expect 7+ years of function from them, dont know what gm says itll be though. i agree you just have a bad sensor in the lr wheel. since it doesnt monitor the spare, id just take it somewhere and have them swap the two sensors, then you should be able to program it up fine and have it be functional
    why would the tire's RFID tags have batteries in them? I don't see why our tires would be active RFID's for the function they serve.

http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/Techno...e.asp?ArtNum=2

mstrjon32 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): NONE

I don't think the TPMS sensors are actually RFID. They communicate on the same channel that the remotes use, just a standard radio signal. RFID is usually much closer proximity than the sensors operate at, anyway.

RoverGuy7 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

there are no initiators or anything, just the sensors an antenna, and the module(which i believe is integrated into the i/p) the sensors know when the car is moving based on centrifugal force, and send signals that are picked up by the antenna module when they think they should, at different time intervals based on whats happening... less often when stationary, more often when moving, and they are forced to repeat their signals when pressure changes, thats why they can be programed by changing the pressures, once in 'learn' mode, the module just looks for the repeated signals as ties it to a wheel position

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.