reset ac system? with out a computer
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, reset ac system? with out a computer in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; every time i get in my car the nav screen tells me "SERVICE AC SYSTEM" it is just low on ...
    BIGIRISHLT1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 cts-v

reset ac system? with out a computer

every time i get in my car the nav screen tells me "SERVICE AC SYSTEM" it is just low on freon, but how do i reset it so i can get the compressor to cut on and add some. i know its the wrong time of year for a question like this, it just annoys me that it happens every time i start my car. i have already tried disconnecting the battery, pulling the pcm fuse, and every other little trick i can think of. had the same thing happen to me in may, but i had a buddy that worked at a shop during the summer and he was able to get one of the mechanics to reset it with some kind of handheld that plugged into the obdII port. problem is my friend got fired from the shop. thanx in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq

Re: reset ac system? with out a computer

Just turn ac on high and put in the R 134a. (Freon is illegal and the stuff they used to use). The kits they sell at x parts store explain all this....

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

get the code(s) pulled (many chain parts stores will do this for free for you... even some independent ones too!)
    with the code(s) we can get to the root of the problem... just making the message go away is a band-aid
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

even when i turn the ac on high the compressor will not cut on. thought r 134a is a type of freon. i have a kit to add it. problem is getting the compressor to cut on so i can add it. i have been doing a google search and it looks like on some older cadillacs u can pull up a vehicle on board diagnostics by pressing the off and heat button for 5 seconds to bring up the menu and clear any codes. does anyone know how to pull this up on the newer cadillacs?

Quote Originally Posted by BIGIRISHLT1 View Post
    even when i turn the ac on high the compressor will not cut on. thought r 134a is a type of freon. i have a kit to add it. problem is getting the compressor to cut on so i can add it. i have been doing a google search and it looks like on some older cadillacs u can pull up a vehicle on board diagnostics by pressing the off and heat button for 5 seconds to bring up the menu and clear any codes. does anyone know how to pull this up on the newer cadillacs?
    Ah now I am getting it...No unfortunately the "free" diagnostic system is not available on our V's. Is there actually a MIL Code? Or just the compressor won't cycle? Just getting the compressor to kick on is probably not going to fix whatever reason it lost its charge. I have done mine twice and even with zero r134a in the system the compressor would run. Although I didn't run it without the r134a for a while either.

Just took a quick look through the service manual and all roads are leading to scan tool to diagnose....

ah, so if there is a leak, you will need to refill the system and get some tracer dye in there so you can find out where it's leaking from
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

here is what comes up

tried to post a link dont have enough post yet.
    a little picture of a car with the hood up comes up on the nav screen and says service ac system.

last time it happened the mechanic vacuumed everything out of the system. filled it up to the right amount and still had to get some super expensive looking handheld to clear the code out. any advise on a good priced obdII scanner that will clear this code out?

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    ah, so if there is a leak, you will need to refill the system and get some tracer dye in there so you can find out where it's leaking from
    have a buddy thats an ac/heating guy. he has a freon detector ill use that once i can get some freon in the system

yeah, well you can do that too... and to get that code cleared out you will need a super expensive code reader...

RoverGuy7 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

if you have a leak, you should get the leak fixed, the ac system is not designed to be 'recharged' regularly. to do it properly after its been leaking, you need to fully evacuate the system, put it in a vacuum, and then refill it. the compressor is controlled by the pcm and is a live output, it works when conditions are met, a stored fault shouldnt keep it from being commanded on. with a simple recharge kit hooked up to the low side of the system, you will be able to raise your system pressure above whats needed for the compressor to kick on, and then the rest will be sucked in. if doing this with a can, i suggest you get a kit that has a built in pressure gauge so you can see what what the system is doing, and not just add the amount that it should have as your system is probably not empty. that said, you should get the leak fixed first.

kevm14 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray CTS-V

My service A/C warning came on and it was a bad connection on a pin in the external temp harness. So it isn't necessarily a low pressure (charge) problem. If you've noticed the exterior temp act up, even briefly, it would be wise to look into that.

Slithering_Joe is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, Powered by Chevrolet

In my case the connector on the A/C pressure sensor was bad. You may want to inspect that before investing in a refrigerant recharge. A scanner (not just a code reader) helped me here. If the sensor is bad then you must evacuate the system before removing the sensor. Bonehead-GM did not put a schrader valve on the sensor port.

where is the Compressor Mounted High Cut-Out Pressure Switch part number 20055 located. it says compressor mounted but i cant find it. i got the other switch swapped now i need to change this one out so we can recharge the system.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.