LS6 to a LS7 Clutch swap.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, LS6 to a LS7 Clutch swap. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Well I'm swapping my LS6 Flywheel for the much lighter LS7 set up. I've noticed lots of posts here on ...
    Fasciaguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV

LS6 to a LS7 Clutch swap.

Well I'm swapping my LS6 Flywheel for the much lighter LS7 set up. I've noticed lots of posts here on the subject but figured I would throw out the few helpful hints I ran across in doing so. Its Saturday night and taking my time I was able to drop the exhaust pulled the front of the driveshaft loose and dropped the transmission. Yea I didnt pull the whole driveshaft I found you can un do lt it from the transmission and drop the carrier bearing and it gets it enough out of the way you dont need to detatch the rear end. Then the fun began with the bell housing. Wow what a tight fit and fricken wires in the way. So I found dropping a rope down and looping around the bundle of looms and pulling them up made things much easier. Once out the removal of the PP clutch and Flywheel was easy.
    Now I did find my dual mass flywheel to be very sloppy and a few thin pieces of metal in between the two parts. They were like 3" in dia and very thin. So I hope that was the cause of my horrible vibration. Anyway I'm sure thats not good so glad I'm replacing it. Not to mention both surfaces that contact the clutch were burnt. Like when your brakes glaze over on your rotors. So I put the new parts all back in and the bell housing. Put about 8 hours in today and should be able to wrap it up tomorrow I hope.
    I did notice tho the LS7 slave has about 4 times the length of line that the old line had. So not really sure what to do with all the extra tubing. So if anyone has any advice with that one feel free to speak up. Otherwise I will just look for room and run it there.. Not that there is much room anywhere. So back at it tomorrow morning. Hope things go good.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

PISNUOFF Guest

Re: LS6 to a LS7 Clutch swap.

Glad it's going well.

PISNUOFF Guest

I removed mine last night also. A super long extension (like two 18" long ones) is your best friend for the top bolts.

rand49er is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Fasciaguy View Post
    ... both surfaces that contact the clutch were burnt. Like when your brakes glaze over on your rotors. ...
    Can you post up some pics?
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

I will try and post some pics as I will be taking it back out.. I had everything together and because I dont plan to do any track events I didnt buy the remote bleeder. I bleed the system like i have done brakes and the fluid was pouring out of the bleeder so I figured I had all the air out. Put it all together started it up and cannot get it into gear. I only have about 1/3 of the clutch pedal in travel and so obviously it isnt bled properly. I really dont think I can get a socket up into the housing to crack open the bleeder now. There is only about an inch between the tunnel and the housing. So I am just going to buy the remote bleeder and open it back up and install it like I should have.. Its really not that bad as if it wasnt for exhaust bolts breaking and screwing around for 2 hours with getting those out I would have had about 12 hrs at a casual pace to replace the clutch.. Not oo bad. So didnt originally take any pictures but hey I have a chance the second time..lol

kevm14 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray CTS-V

The clearance changes with the different slave setup or is it as tight as stock? If so, an 8mm box end or 8mm gear wrench usually does the trick.

CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq

Quote Originally Posted by Fasciaguy View Post
    I will try and post some pics as I will be taking it back out.. I had everything together and because I dont plan to do any track events I didnt buy the remote bleeder. I bleed the system like i have done brakes and the fluid was pouring out of the bleeder so I figured I had all the air out. Put it all together started it up and cannot get it into gear. I only have about 1/3 of the clutch pedal in travel and so obviously it isnt bled properly. I really dont think I can get a socket up into the housing to crack open the bleeder now. There is only about an inch between the tunnel and the housing. So I am just going to buy the remote bleeder and open it back up and install it like I should have.. Its really not that bad as if it wasnt for exhaust bolts breaking and screwing around for 2 hours with getting those out I would have had about 12 hrs at a casual pace to replace the clutch.. Not oo bad. So didnt originally take any pictures but hey I have a chance the second time..lol
    Sorry to hear your troubles. I to had my fun with my clutch install a while back and can feel your pain. G/l

BTW $50 is nothing compared to the time you will waste pulling everything back apart...Take note future clutch installers! Get the damn remote bleeder.

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

Are there any suggestions as to which bleeder?

The clearance was the same other than I used the new bleeder that resides about 2" inside the housing. My old bleeder seemed sloppy and loose and I thought maybe they used a different cone design and I was afraid it would leak so I stuck with the new one. Which is why I'm screwed. Even if I could bleed it the fluid would run down inside the housing. So just bite the bullet and yank it back out. Its not really that hard. You just have to be patient. As mentioned on here bunches of times a couple long extensions are your friends on this project. The two bolts on top of the trans are a bear to see let alone get a socket on em. But you can do it with the shift linkage dis-connected and the rear of the tranny dropped about as far as you can. It just sucks to redo about 4 hours worth of work twice. SO YES anyone considering this swap to whatever clutch you decide to use. GET THE REMOTE BLEEDER!!! I think the one I saw was almost $78 but if someone knows a cheaper place to get one for the LS7 slave let me know thanks.

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

You could make a lot of room to "see" what you're doing if you remove the windshield washer facia.

Doesn't take very long.

Quote Originally Posted by odla View Post
    Here's a pic of my new slave plus a new bleeder.

Got the slave (which includes a new throwout bearing) from Luke. (<-- the most trusted place to get parts, IMHO)

Got the bleeder itself from LA Performance.

Here's a pic ...

'05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Tried to PM you some info, but your inbox is full.

branland is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V SC

I've got a Tick Bleeder that JBA didn't install on my car when they installed my LS7 clutch.

PM me if you're interested.

Houdini is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MT, 2007 CTS-V (Sold)

branland...pm sent. I'll take it.

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    Tried to PM you some info, but your inbox is full.
    have space now. Thanks

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.