Front brake lines are rusting. Cadillac says recall does not apply to my CTS-V.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Front brake lines are rusting. Cadillac says recall does not apply to my CTS-V. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I've seen a couple posts on here about the recall on the 2003-2007 CTS front brake lines. The recall was ...
    Andringa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk

Front brake lines are rusting. Cadillac says recall does not apply to my CTS-V.

I've seen a couple posts on here about the recall on the 2003-2007 CTS front brake lines. The recall was because the metal fitting at the end of the rubber brake line (caliper side) could possibly corrode and lead to leaks and or brake failure. I called Cadillac and the recall does not apply to my 2004 CTS-V.

However when I looked at my brake lines this morning, both front brake lines are rusting at the caliper side rubber to metal fitting. So I am wondering if anyone had gotten Cadillac to fix this problem on their V, or if I will have to replace them myself.

Front right brake line.

Front left brake line.

Front left brake line after I wiped it off with my glove.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Front brake lines are rusting. Cadillac says recall does not apply to my CTS-V.

814V is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 PLATINUM CTS-V

Re: Front brake lines are rusting. Cadillac says recall does not apply to my CTS-V.

Just buy steel braided lines. They are definitely worth $150

http://http://www.cadillacforums.com...lines-now.html

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

That isn't "rust" per se.
    That is surface corrosion. I am not saying that it may never be an issue, but every brake line with a metal end does that eventually.
    The real issue at heart is that the rubber holds the road salt and moisture INSIDE the rubber sleeve where you cannot see it.
    I don't know why the V is not included because it does look the same. However the parts may be made by different suppliers and the V lines are not identical to the base cars.

Again, I don't know what the reasoning is to leave the V out of this but I do know that I have yet to see one go bad (bearing in mind that VA regsistered vehicles are not subject to this recall either), it is a different part, and if it was a problem I am sure NHTSA would have mandated they include this vehicle as well.

darvish is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 sedan , 11 Wagon

Mine did fail. The failure was under the rubber boot where the line is crimped onto the tube to the banjo joint. The part numbers are identical between the CTS and the V.... although these may be new part numbers. The dealer I took it to said this failure is not uncommon. My hoses were quite corroded although they did not save the old part as i requested, this was from me looking at the hoses before they were changed. Cadillac and GM have not answered emails. I have found a law firm willing to look at a suit over this issue.

I have NEVER EVER EVER had this happen. The only similar experience I have had to this was when I lost the left front suspension on a Formula Ford car during an on track shunt.

I have submitted the information to the NHTSA for investigation.

Other than the clutch issue... fixed under a recall.. this is the only problem I have had. I have never grenaded the diff, etc, etc.

When I am driving a car.. the only things i really really want it to do at all times in stop and steer.... any other failure is not going to get me hurt.

bpitas is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS-V

I had this replaced by my dealership, but it was right before the official recall came out, when someone on the list leaked the "warning" memo that came out saying there was going to be a recall soon. I believe the dealership called the regional rep and they regional rep said to just replace it. Mine had failed and was pissing fluid, so it was definitely a safety issue, but yours doesn't look nearly as bad as mine did. Mine was literally rusted all the way through where the rubber covers the end of the hard line from salt getting caught under the rubber. I'm in Massachusetts where they started using some new formulation of "salt" on the roads that seems much more corrosive.

BTW - it was my right front that failed, and right where you show it in the picture. If you pry back the rubber right there, that's where mine was rusted through. If you do pry it back to look, make sure you put something on it (like synthetic grease or something) to keep the water out!

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

ewill3rd I agree that this doesn't really look all too bad. And if I saw this without knowing about the recall it probably wouldn't have caused any concern.

My concern is that when determining which cars were to be affected by the recall they looked at all the reported failures that they had and correlated the problem to a sub-set of vehicles which did not include the CTS-V. But their data may be skewed by the fact that a majority of V owners don't drive their cars in the winter and are exposed to much less salt and snow. My car in particular was more of a weekend toy for the first owner, and was not driven daily in snow until I bought it last year.

It looks like darvish and bpitas report pretty much the same failure that the recall is intended to prevent.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

I thought I had compared them and saw some difference in the hoses between the V and the base car. I know the calipers are different but the fittings could be the same.
    I wish I could tell you why they excluded the V but honestly, I have no idea.

blue89bird is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

I called the customer service number yesterday to let them know that I'm experiencing the same problem and they wouldn't do anythng except make a note saying I was complaining. So I called the NHTSA who also wouldn't do anything except open a complaint which I did.

I also see some rust on mine, more then normal, but not enough to be a problem yet, and I want them replaced before the winter time. We'll see how it goes.

Following up with this issue.

I bought UUC SS brake lines and replaced my OEM lines. I've had the SS lines on for a little while now, and like them. I was cleaning out the garage yesterday and came across my old OEM lines.

I was curious to see if my brake lines really needed to be replaced, so I cut the rubber boot off of the rubber hose to metal hard line joint and this is what I found.

It looks like the rust that I was concerned about actually was surface rust and did not continue very far under the rubber boot. However the other end of the joint was completely falling apart. There was a pile of rust that I was able to dump out of the boot after it was removed.

I called Cadillac customer service and got the same "There are no open recalls on your VIN". I stated my opinion that the CTS-V has the same part and was mistakenly left out of the recall. The representative didn't seem like she could do anything for me.

So everyone, if you drive your V in the winter I would replace your front brake lines.

Houdini is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MT, 2007 CTS-V (Sold)

My god, that looks pretty bad. How many miles on your V? My 07 has lived its life in the snow belt and has seen some road salt and chemicals before I owned it. My lines look just like yours with the surface corrosion at the rubber joint. I'm betting the insides look just like yours. I'm concerned.

That's right where mine rusted through, and that one looks pretty close. What sucks is that it's the pressure of an emergency stop that will blow out weakened lines like that - just when you DON'T want it to happen!

-B

Good question Houdini, my V is a 2004 with 59k on it. Based on the gas fill up book that I have the first owner didn't drive it in the winter, I drove it daily for the last two winters 2009 and 2010.

kevm14 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray CTS-V

UUC kit is basically no longer available and if you recall, Luke @ Lindsay was the exclusive supplier. I'll probably poke around for other kits, such as Goodridge.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.