Both key fobs in operable and all 4 TPMS sensors showing ---
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Both key fobs in operable and all 4 TPMS sensors showing --- in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; The other night while putting on my strut tower bar in a haze of sleepiness I closed the hood and ...
    junoreactor is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 Maggied CTS-V

Both key fobs in operable and all 4 TPMS sensors showing ---

The other night while putting on my strut tower bar in a haze of sleepiness I closed the hood and accidentally pushed the panic button on the remote. I'm not sure how I did that but being wayyy past being able to think straight I tried to turn of the panic honking by pushing random buttons on the remote. Don't ask why....

Anyway, today I find out that both of my key fobs do not function at all. Also when driving around, I've got the --- reading on all 4 of my TPMS sensors. No codes at all, and no warning on the DIC. For the last few months I've had problems with the TPMS sensors randomly showing --- starting with perhaps one wheel, then moving to two or three wheels as I drive for upwards of 10 miles. I was thinking the issue was not worth correcting, but I had spoken with the dealer and one possible cause they suggested was a faulty antenna module near the back dome light (also have bad FM/AM radio reception, but maybe tint related). I bought one of the modules and installed it, then went to the dealer to have my key fobs reprogrammed. Nothing was solved by throwing $$$ at the antenna module so I gave up trying to fix it.

Now, my keyfobs don't work and I've gotta get it fixed this time.

Are the security and TPMS sensor systems connected in this car? Both have seemingly failed and both are wireless in nature. I'm thinking they are infact connected somehow and perhaps something else in the system has failed. Anyone have an idea what may be wrong? Perhaps I can fix something without having to go the the dealer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BirdmanTamu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

Re: Both key fobs in operable and all 4 TPMS sensors showing ---

I don't think the key fob and TPMS issue are related. Although they are both wireless transmitters, I don't believe they are received via the same module...not 100% on that though.

I bought one of the modules and installed it, then went to the dealer to have my key fobs reprogrammed.
    Was the dealer unable to reprogram your key fobs? Did you pay for this lack of resolution?

Dealer ineptness, with this car in particular, has made me never want to take it to a dealer again unless absolutely necessary. In your case, I can see how you'd have no choice.

Have you considered an after market alarm system? You could tie it into your door lock relays (amongst other things - windows down for instance) and go from there. The factory alarm is worthless anywayz....just a thought.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

the RCDLR (remote control door lock receiver) is the common module here... it talks to both the remotes and the TMPS sensors - the dealer should have caught this, unless you just asked for a reprogramming and didn't mention the full story
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Sorry for the confusion, when I got the key fobs reprogrammed they did work. That was a couple of months ago and they have worked flawlessly. Even up to distances of 12 feet! LOL Anyway, both of these problems just occurred a couple of days ago. I'd love to get a car alarm for the V, I had a Clifford Avantgarde 4 on my last car. That was an amazing alarm that did everything. It's just not in the budget right now. Maybe in spring time, I'll go for one that can do remote start on a manual tranny.

Thanks for the tip, Chris. I'll mention that to the dealer when I call for service this afternoon.

BirdmanTamu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by rippypartsmaster View Post
    the RCDLR (remote control door lock receiver) is the common module here... it talks to both the remotes and the TMPS sensors - the dealer should have caught this, unless you just asked for a reprogramming and didn't mention the full story
    I stand corrected and learned something new today. Gotta love this forum over any dealership tech (except eWill of course).

Quote Originally Posted by junoreactor View Post
    Maybe in spring time, I'll go for one that can do remote start on a manual tranny.
    I looked into this when I bought my alarm and it's technically illegal (then again, I guess off-road pipes are too ). You'd have to either install the remote start your self, or find a willing good installer and slip em some extra change. In the end it wasn't worth the worry of wondering whether I left it in neutral or not before trying to remote start. It would only take one slip up to ruin it all. Not to mention you'd have to get your parking brake really dialed in well too.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdmanTamu View Post
    I stand corrected and learned something new today. Gotta love this forum over any dealership tech (except eWill of course)
    I actually cheated and asked my tech who deals w/ RCDLRs a lot to confirm my suspicion that both worked off the same module.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by rippypartsmaster View Post
    I actually cheated and asked my tech who deals w/ RCDLRs a lot to confirm my suspicion that both worked off the same module.
    Hey man, using all the resources available to you is good thinking. I won't tell if you won't about cheating.

deal

RoverGuy7 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

two quick questions... have you tried to open the trunk since this happend? also how sure are you that you pressed the panic button, possible that the alarm just went off when you shut the hood?

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Actually on CTS the RCDLR is the antenna module in the back window (above the headliner).

How is the radio reception?
    (am/fm)
    If the radio reception is good and the keyless works then this is all different.

I would think you had an issue with the antenna module based on your description but let us not forget that it is a powered module. It has to have power, ground, and this one needs data communication. If those things aren't present the module will not function.
    What happens when you try to program the TPMS?

I did replace the antenna module one time, by myself. I bought it off gmpartsdirect.com or somewhere, I can't quite remember. I believe I had changed that because the radio reception was terrible.

Let me restart the conversation. I had my windows tinted. About the same time my radio reception was getting worse and worse. I was told the tint wouldn't interfere with the radio too much as it's not fully metallic version. If I recall, the reception was not very good before the tint. I took the car to my Chevy, GMC local dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong. They suggested the module in the roof like you say. In order to get the car into the shop I'd have to wait awhile so I bought one online and changed it out myself. It was kind of difficult because I didn't drop the headliner, just jammed my hands up inside after removing the dome light. The TPMS sensors were kind of spotty in giving readings. On a 50 mile trip, for instance one wheel would show ---, then perhaps another after 20mins and so on.

Then a couple of days ago, after hitting the panic button and driving the car home I noticed that the key fobs wouldn't work. I switched the battery thinking it was going bad, but after trying both key fobs I saw that neither worked. On my way to work the next day, I saw all 4 TPMS sensors showing ---. Two days later, I got the car into Sutliff Buick/Cadillac in State College, PA. The told me that the tech was thinking the antenna module is perhaps bad. He stated that it's getting power and ground or whatever to it, but no data coming out of it. I was told they could change the part, but it'd take 3-5 days to get it and I could take my car in the mean time because it's drivable. So upon leaving the dealer and starting the car, I found the remotes worked and the TPMS sensors all had a reading. The dealer had not replaced anything, just touched the wires or whatever. Everything worked fine for the night, and this morning on the drive to work one wheel is back to the --- thing again.

As for your question about the radio reception, it is incredibly bad. I often can only pick up FM stations while in the town they are broadcasting (smaller central PA towns, not big cities if that matters). One station I cannot pick up more than 25 miles away. I havn't tried to reprogram TPMS in a few months, but last time I did it worked. I cannot recall if it was on the first attempt or not.

Oh, one other thing I can add. I bought my wheels off Wheeldude.com and got new TPMS sensors because the wheels were for summer. I had the same problems with the TPMS --- intermittant readings with the OEM wheels and sensors that I use in winter.

dangrus is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V

I am wondering if you have an intermittent power or ground that is knocking out your antenna modules.

RoverGuy7 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

i asked about the trunk because its the same power feed, but since it worked again, the fuse is good, as long as the connector and pin is good power is fine. the circuit diagram doesnt show a ground for the module, which likely means its a case ground, or grounded through its mounting, any chance you didnt get one of the bolts all the way tight when you replaced it, or maybe it loosend over time.

If I recall, there is only one bolt holding it up. Then there is a clip or something that grabs it as well. It's been a while since I looked at it and I'm at work now so unable too.

Here is a link to an ebay auction that has a picture of it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...Q5fAccessories

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.