XM Satalite Radio Intermittent problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, XM Satalite Radio Intermittent problems in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I have a 2005 CTS-V with lifetime XM radio. My problem is the unit will read "no signal" when trying ...
    3Fletch is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

XM Satalite Radio Intermittent problems

I have a 2005 CTS-V with lifetime XM radio. My problem is the unit will read "no signal" when trying to use the XM Radio. It seems like it more of a problem durring the real hot weather. In the cooler weather it seemed to work most of the time, now that it's hot out it never works. How do I go about fixing this problem and if I replace the XM unit will I no longer recieve the free XM radio? I guess I am asking if the XM serial number is in the XM unit or the head unit?

Has anyone else had this issue? It would be nice to use this feature if at all possible...

Thanks in advance...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Stepside is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 DTS performance; CowboyCadillac='12 SVT Raptor

Re: XM Satalite Radio Intermittent problems

Your XM antenna is on the roof. Maybe a look under the plastic and make sure all connections are sound & not oxidized.
    The XM signal will be weaker on hot humid days due to the 'heavy' atmosphere.
    If anything is blocking your signal to the south, then reception will suffer. Is there a hill or mountain in that direction?
    The satellite is low on the horizon hence, anything blocking that direction will impede signal strength.

3Fletch is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

This issue has gotten worse since purchasing the car in February. Back then it worked all the time and now it never seems to work. In the spring on hot days it would not work unless I ran the AC long enough to cool the car then it would work. It may have nothing to do with the heat at all but that is the only thing I can relate it to. This is not a reception issue in the sence of mountains etc. This intermittent problem occurred even sitting in my driveway which has total view of the skyline. I can certainly check the connections.

cvettr/cts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Infrared CTS-V

sounds like the xm module is bad. A call to xm first before doing anything would tell you how to repair / replace the module and have your lifetime subscription moved to the new xm module. I would start there if not under an extended warranty.

cowbellbill is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): dts

Quote Originally Posted by 3Fletch View Post
    This issue has gotten worse since purchasing the car in February. Back then it worked all the time and now it never seems to work. In the spring on hot days it would not work unless I ran the AC long enough to cool the car then it would work. It may have nothing to do with the heat at all but that is the only thing I can relate it to. This is not a reception issue in the sence of mountains etc. This intermittent problem occurred even sitting in my driveway which has total view of the skyline. I can certainly check the connections.
    Hey Fletch, I have the exact same problem to the mark !! I pay for this XM account and I cant use it 3/4 of the year. Its whenever the inside of the car gets warm. I bought it back to caddy and they replaced the antenna. That didn't work. I knew that wasn't it. I have the 5x5 screen radio display. I spoke to XM they want to sell me a new radio at a discount price to stick on the dash board. So Im hoping you have found a solution and could share it. Thanks Bill
    P.S It has everything to do with the heat.

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

Mine did this and they changed out the module. Works great now.

Wink Re: XM Satalite Radio Intermittent problems

Hey odla, Cool ! When you say they. Im assuming you mean caddy. Mine is out of warranty now. Do you have the same model radio as I do. If so do you know where the module is located incase I have to do this myself. Thanks Bill

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

Yup dealer did it under my warranty. I'm not sure where the module is. I think it is in the back deck. Might want to ask darkman. He knows all! lol I have the stock unit. When they change it out they may give you 3 months free service.

Thanks Odla,
    Darkman ??

roro0619 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

Anyone ever find a solution to this? I have had a 2005 STS for about three years now and never had this problem. I just moved into a new home and since the garage has been full the car is now being parked in the driveway. I am also in Florida so yes it is hot out. It has been happening since we started parking outside. It would come on after a while but it seems to be taking longer if even at all. Any advice would be appreciated.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.