drivetrain slack: where does it end? Not a motor mount thread. ok, maybe it is
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, drivetrain slack: where does it end? Not a motor mount thread. ok, maybe it is in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I have new cs (grey mounts) along with new diff/diff bushing. CS mounts are fine, yet I still have alot ...
    CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

drivetrain slack: where does it end? Not a motor mount thread. ok, maybe it is

I have new cs (grey mounts) along with new diff/diff bushing. CS mounts are fine, yet I still have alot of drivetrain slack, especially on light on/off throttle in any gear and any speed. Problem since day 1 of install. I'm not attributing this to the mounts, but I'm not ruling them out either.

any ideas? for those of you that have them, do black mounts make this any better? Just trying to figure out where the hell the slop is coming from if all these mounts are new and the rear is new.
    I assumed with new cs grey mounts and new diff/diff bushing, the drivetrain would at least be tighter than the pooped mounts+2yr old diff/diff bushing that got taken out... No, unfortunately it is not noticeably tighter, whether it be normal shifting, or on these light on/off variances in speed.
    Actually, it's harder to drive the car (when comparing simply harder or easier to drive). One of my goals with new mounts was to tighten up things and allow me to relax more on the city driving and not have to feather the heck out of everything unless I was wanting to haul a**.

Are these just characteristics of stiffer mounts?

I dont get it. What now? new super stiff diff bushing? New one piece diamond tipped driveshaft? Miracle Pinion brace, Weld the f'n cradle to the frame? what?

Is a slack-free drivetrain in a cts-v just a myth?...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

kevm14 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray CTS-V

Re: drivetrain slack: where does it end? Not a motor mount thread. ok, maybe it is

I hear you. I have the stock diff bushing (replaced once somewhere along the way) and stock cradle bushings. Stock engine mounts (one was replaced along the way). Stock flywheel. I've actually gotten used to the cadence required to drive the car reasonably smoothly. I'm only unhappy with the flywheel when trying to rev match a downshift (slow and lazy), free rev to show off (slow and lazy), shut the car down (takes about 3 hours and shakes like a big rig) or otherwise drive flat out. But in normal driving, I've kind of made friends with it. Every take off is perfect at 1000rpm. Haven't stalled it yet.

The key was to early on come to the realization that this isn't like my 95 Camaro Z28 where I could kind of beat on it, and it liked it. This is a car you have to respect. I know that sounds like of BS, but that's how I approached it. That said, have you tried the SW cradle spacer/bushings? Poly diff bushing?

lollygagger8 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Re: drivetrain slack: where does it end? Not a motor mount thread. ok, maybe it is

I'll say it again....I think alot of it has to do with the rubberband driveshaft.

kevm14 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray CTS-V

I think the durometer of the rubber used, at least at the coupler to the trans, is quite high and would not add noticable slack to the drivability. But I'm guessing here.

AG'S-V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

+1 on the driveshaft

PISNUOFF Guest

Do you still have the stock dual mass turd?

Castro is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by kevm14 View Post
    I think the durometer of the rubber used, at least at the coupler to the trans, is quite high and would not add noticable slack to the drivability. But I'm guessing here.
    I'll let you know once I get my creative steel poly coupler installed, it's sitting in the garage waiting for me to finish messing with other car projects.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.