CS grey motor mounts getting burnt up!! (only about 1000 miles since install!)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, CS grey motor mounts getting burnt up!! (only about 1000 miles since install!) in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; First of all, this is NOT a flame against Max at Creative Steel. I'm sure he's going to do what ...
    WesH8398 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Angry CS grey motor mounts getting burnt up!! (only about 1000 miles since install!)

First of all, this is NOT a flame against Max at Creative Steel. I'm sure he's going to do what he can to rectify this situation. It's partly my mechanic's fault too.

Well, I changed my trans fluid tonight and while I was under the car I decided to have a look around to make sure everything appeared in order. Well, everything seemed fine until I had a look at my 'new' motor mounts. The passenger side mount had the heat shield installed facing the block instead of the manifold, and the driver's side mount, although shield was installed correctly, is also going brown and burn-looking. Suffice to say I'm a little peeved.

I'm not sure who to be pissed with - especially since Max from CS seems like such a good guy. I'm definitely pissed at the mechanic, but at the same time, Max knew how hot that area gets and should have tested that the materials could withstand the heat. Once tested, he could either sell them heat wrapped somehow or sell them with instructions that heat wrapping was mandatory.

Anyway...some pictures for your enjoyment. I'll be getting in touch with Max and my mechanic very soon.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

snipe_pipe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Re: CS grey motor mounts getting burnt up!! (only about 1000 miles since install!)

I am getting some bubbly as well. I would suggest wrapping them in exhaust tape. That is what I plan to do shortly. Let everything in your car cool down and it should be fairly straight forward. I would suggest some form of tie down as well.

soulja is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Sedan 6MT, (Sold) 05 Maggie & 8.8 V1.

Re: CS grey motor mounts getting burnt up!! (only about 1000 miles since install!)

Other guys have experienced this also, but this is just a cosmetic issue. The bubbling doesn't affect the integrity of the mount at all, based on Max's response to previous posters.

MotorMounts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Black CTS-V

The heat wrap is still a good idea, I'm in the process of researching the material to have some heat shields sewn up out of some 4" wide header wrap, they will look much like an insulator for a soda can. They will be used in conjunction with the aluminum heat shields that we already supply. I am also researching a new "Hot Pour" urethane system for the V mounts.
    To get a better feel for what might be causing these problems, today talked to the owner of a shop in NJ that has installed/sold at least 40 sets of our mounts to the GTO crowd (black mounts), he had no issues to report at all and none of the GTO's even have heat shields, stock exhaust or headers.
    For now it would be good insurance for anyone that has the ability, to wrap their mounts the next time they are under the car.
    I don't want anyone to freak out and think this a major epidemic, it's a small percentage of the gray mounts out there, and I will replace the mounts that go bad for what ever reason. I am how ever not going to pay the labor to have the mounts replaced. If you are a DIY guy, I will send you new mounts along with the most up to date heat protection free of charge. If you are not a DIY guy and find this unacceptable please ask for a refund.
    Like I said before, this not a panic situation.

I am still answering the phone, not going anywhere, please call if you have a question (or a gripe).

Have the best evening, Max
    Our phone number is 503-316-1811 We're here M-F, 8-5 Pacific Time.
    http://www.creative-steel.com
    maxx@creative-steel.com

maxspeed96ct is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

I used exhaust wrap on my mounts.

Only problem is I cant see them now....

snipe_pipe is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Max,

Let us know when you cook up the custom wraps for the mounts. I would be interested in getting a set. I cant figure out what I want to use to tie down the wrap. Do zip ties really last under there?

AG'S-V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Use some ties similar to these:

deedubb is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): E85 Powered - Maggie'd V

Yep, I'd use the metal type zip ties that they use on header wrap.

MotorMounts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Black CTS-V

Another "Yep" for the metal ties. Hose clamps would also work, quick, cheap, adjustable, and available everywhere.
    Kristie is at the upholstery shop as I type this getting a quote on sewing header wrap material.

I'll keep y'all posted. Max
    Our phone number is 503-316-1811 We're here M-F, 8-5 Pacific Time.
    http://www.creative-steel.com
    maxx@creative-steel.com

CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

We all know if the mount fails, it fails and Max will make it right... If you don't, you dont spend enough time reading the forum. We rushed this product to market, therefore we must live with the trial and error process of discovering long term issues ourselves and helping him develop a better, longer lasting product.

SkullV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): NONE

Just popping in to shed some light on this. I had the black motor mounts AND diff bushing in my car since they were released with my Kooks headers and I loved every second of them. I drove on them for MANY thousands of miles, a few track days, a couple drag days on both 125 and 150 shots, and a couple auto-x events with NO heat shields and NO burning , bubbling, or breakdown (sagging). I did not have any added vibes until I added the black transmission mount. That thing sucked and Max knew it so he sent me one of the prototype "softer then stock" transmission mounts for free. The "softer then stock" mount provided excellent support for the drive line and killed 98% of the vibrations that I was feeling in the car. This transmission mount was in the car for a few thousand miles including the nitrous drag days and never had an issue with sagging or any other type of deterioration.

Max IS the best vendor I have ever encountered. He will make things right and he will do it over and over until the product is perfect. If I still had my Cadillac I would be buying EVERYTHING that Max and Kristie produce because I know they are top notch products and come with unmatched customer service. Remember what I told you a long time ago Max and just keep on chugging along.

I think I need to reiterate, as the OP, that this thread was never meant to "bash" Max or his product(s). Since I had read a few other threads along these same lines though, I thought it to be important for people to know what issues are arising with these particular mounts. That's what a public forum is all about - keeping people informed - right? So again, those of you that feel as though Max is being given a bad wrap here, I think you're taking this all wrong.

Max has offered to replace my bubbling mounts at no cost to me, or give me a refund - which is a lot more than many vendors would do, I'm sure. For that, I'm grateful. Max does "good business" and obviously has an ethical backbone which says a lot.

As another poster said, these mounts were "rushed to production" (which I was unaware of until now), so growing pains such as this should be expected. Unfortunately for those of us in my situation, these growing pains are going to be costing me $300 each time my mechanic has to re-install the mounts. That's a crappy deal, and I probably would have went with a different product had I known that these weren't fully tested and up-to-snuff. Even with all the reading I did before I chose my CS grey's, I never once thought I would have any of these issues. They seem to have popped up in the fairly recent past.

Regardless, Max is doing what he can to make the issues right.

On a side note - are there similar issues with the UUC mounts for the V at all? Anyone have any experience with them? Am I better off getting a refund and trying UUC, or giving CS another try (with some header wrap this time)?

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

+1 on the metal zip ties, or as Max stated, use hose clamps if you wrap em.

Max is a standup guy, he'll get you squared away. Max, I posted awhile ago to make the heat shields all the way around the mount to avoid morons putting em in wrong lol. Again to people reading this thread, the mechanic is the one to blame here....just saying

Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    ... Again to people reading this thread, the mechanic is the one to blame here....just saying
    The mounts, or at least some batches of them, have to take some of the blame too. As you can somewhat see from my pictures, even the mount with the heat shield installed correctly is still browning and bubbling. As it's been said, this is just a growing pain in their development. But that doesn't discount the fact that at this time it seems as though the materials (on at least some of the mounts) aren't standing up to the heat that's produced in that area.

deedubb is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): E85 Powered - Maggie'd V

Did the mount actually fail? or does it just look bad? If it failed, I can see where the product could be to blame....however, if it just bubbled and looks bad but is structurally sound, I'd have to agree with Lollygagger.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.