CS grey motor mounts getting burnt up!! (only about 1000 miles since install!) - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, CS grey motor mounts getting burnt up!! (only about 1000 miles since install!) in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Do you think that bubbling, discoloured, and over-heated poly urethane performs the same as it's un-burnt counterpart? I can't quote ...
    WesH8398 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Re: CS grey motor mounts getting burnt up!! (only about 1000 miles since install!)

Do you think that bubbling, discoloured, and over-heated poly urethane performs the same as it's un-burnt counterpart? I can't quote any science behind it, but I'm willing to bet that it doesn't. If anything, the bubbling/burning will certainly lead to premature failure compared to those that are un-burnt.

Anyway, as expected, Max is making this good in my case. I'm glad to say that he's been in communication with me since I sent him my initial PM. He's on-board and understanding of the reasoning behind this thread, and he knows that none of this is a knock against him or Creative Steel; but rather an awareness thing for the members of our community. As I said to him, even given these set backs I would still recommend CS products to anybody. Max stands behind his work, and there's a lot to be said for that.

Slithering_Joe is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, Powered by Chevrolet

Re: CS grey motor mounts getting burnt up!! (only about 1000 miles since install!)

Home Depot and Lowe's sells 10-pack of stainless zip ties in the electrical department for $4.25.

I used about 50 of them here:

Quote Originally Posted by Slithering_Joe View Post
    I used about 50 of them here:
    Curious...what was your reasoning behind insulating that portion of your exhaust?

When my diff gets hot it whines-the hotter the louder it gets. The exhaust "pre-heats" the diff where in just a few miles/minutes it starts to whine. Now it takes a bit more distance/time before I hear a peep out of it. An oil cooler might be in the near future to handle the heat generated from the ring & pinion.

Ahhh, gotcha. I have wondered if some dynamat or other sound-proofing around the diff would mask the whine. Have you tried that?

I've placed Hushmat in some areas below the rear seat, trunk and spare tire areas. I didn't completely cover those surfaces but I have thought about it. I just don't think it would make that much of an improvent and it only masks the problem. The Hushmat/Dynamat add$ up quickly.

SS from the "Wood" is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 Platinum V - SOLD

Max, keep us up to speed on the heat wraps... I emailed you pics of my cracking pass mount and both are browning/bubbling... they were crappy iphone pics, but all the same. I'm looking to go back underneath to swap out my grays for some blacks w/ wraps when ready! LONG LIVE CREATIVE STEEL!

MikeV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 Redline CTS-V

I just got my black mounts and installed today. CS is now providing them with self adhesive exhaust wrap tape (perfect amount to just wrap two mounts). You now have triple protection. Stock heat shields, CS shields and tape.

Install was VERY straightforward following the YouTube Video. If you have an iPhone or smartphone with YouTube app then it is awesome to have the video right under the car with you. Watch a few steps, do a few steps, etc. until done. Took me about 5 hours total and 20 minutes of that was cussing and cleaning up after the drivers mount PUKED all over me. There is some nasty fluid in those suckers and that mount was cracked all the way around the top. Another 20 minutes fooling around getting the passengers side to line up right.

After a spirited test drive I am very happy. Absolutely no increased vibes at idle but you can definitely feel the LS6 cam now. Love it. Reduced clunk and shifts are MUCH improved (and I already have pisnuoff shifter and amsoils fluid). It absolutely RIPS through the gears now. The way the power comes on is like a light switch. Hit the gas and it is there right now. Pulls like a mother and after shifting the power is right back there.

5/5 stars on this mod.

deedubb is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): E85 Powered - Maggie'd V

Ok that's it. I'm ordering the black ones. Max!!! where you at??

shadybx7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes

install a set of wrapped long tube headers.... looks like all the guys with bubbling and heat issues are running stock manifolds. (someone wit headers correct me if im wrong)

MotorMounts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Black CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by deedubb View Post
    Ok that's it. I'm ordering the black ones. Max!!! where you at??
    I'm here for ya man, haha. Somewhere here on the forum our email is listed as the only way to contact us so we get a lot of emails, well......as of last Tuesday our email has been down. We pay for the hosting a year at a time in October so it's not us and the rep for the hosting company has confirmed this.
    Anyway, I could go on and on about how this has been a PITA. If anyone needs to get a hold of us just call, 503-316-1811 or send me a PM.
    I will keep you guys posted on the heat wrap heat shields, Max
    Our phone number is 503-316-1811 We're here M-F, 8-5 Pacific Time.
    http://www.creative-steel.com
    maxx@creative-steel.com

bneal1022 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, K&N, Borla, short throw w/ Holden knob, hotchkis

while installing my diff, axle, and cutouts I did some exploring and precautionary investigating. I currently have CS gray MM (installed when I did my headers). I have about 6 months and 1300 miles on the gray mounts and have no apparent issues with them. Since they are wrapped I can see any discoloration or structural problem. I also inspected them with a doctor's touch for any tearing and felt mothing odd. When I installed gray MM I did several things:

1) during subassembly of poly MM between upper and lower mount plate, I used a string line to mark the alignment of the brackets before disassembly. This allowed me to clock the assembly as I knew I should not "twist" it under torque load. This could casue excessing radial (hoop) stress in the outer diameter of the material. I saw the photos of the ones that tore.
    2) inserted poly mount into a fiberglass woven inswool sock before subassembly to preven any direct conductive heat damage
    3) spiral wrapped the mount and sock in reflective insulated tape as precaution against radiant heat
    4) used CS heat shields (facing the correct way - to the header)
    5) ceramic coated headers

If I develop problems with the gray motor mounts given all this "precaution" I know max will make it right! He is standing by his products and has personally proven this to me. Thanks Max !

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.