Please HELP! - Car won't start with either key after installing W4M ecm pcm
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By peteralan
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Please HELP! - Car won't start with either key after installing W4M ecm pcm in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I need some help. I purchased ichpen's 06 w4m ecm for my 07. After installing I reconnected the battery and ...
    Houdini is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MT, 2007 CTS-V (Sold)

Please HELP! - Car won't start with either key after installing W4M ecm pcm

I need some help. I purchased ichpen's 06 w4m ecm for my 07. After installing I reconnected the battery and now neighter key will start the car. The nav displays a message saying "starting disabled - remove key". Obviously this is security related. So far, everything I've read indicates either a fried ecm or that it was programmed for his VIN and it will not work with my anti-theft module because it is seeing a different VIN. Any thoughts? I've tried everything I could think of to get these keys to work. Does this ecm need to go back to W4M to have my own VIN programmed? Wonder what he will charge for that?

After many hours, I slapped my own ecm back in and the car started right up no problem.

I know someone here can shed some light on this for me. I thought I'd be able to pop it in and go....maybe a case relearn but certainly no security problems...sigh.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

kirchbed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Re: Please HELP! - Car won't start with either key after installing W4M ecm pcm

You need to send it to w4m and have it programmed with your VIN.

son of a.... thanks. Isn't there a way for these to be VIN unlocked? Is that not safe?

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

nope need to send it back.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

One of the techs @ Lindsay (Robert) told me when I installed my W4M ECU that if the security key light came on there was a way to "relearn" the immobilizer function. I haven't had any issues, so I've forgotten what he told me, but it was something weird like cycling the key to the ON position 20 times in a minute then hopping on one leg while touching your nose with your index finger. Like I said, I forgot exactly what he told me. Try talking to one of your local dealer techs about how to relearn the security system after an ECU swap. If they won't help, try calling Lindsay Service and ask to talk to Robert (you want the technician Robert - I think there's also a service writer Robert).

There has to be a way to do it, otherwise dealers would never be able to replace a bad ECU with a new one (which obviously doesn't come off the shelf programmed with a specific VIN).
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

I'm pretty sure dealers have to program any replacement ECM with the car's VIN so that it works with the theft module correctly. I'm going to try to get in touch with W4M to get it programmed with my VIN. I don't want to go to the dealer because I'm still under warranty and I know they won't be nice about a tuned ECM

peteralan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cadillac cts 3.6

VERY VERY SIMPLE, ON MY THIRD ECM!

1. Insert ignition key and turn to the “ON” position. Do not attempt to start the engine. Leave
    the key in the “ON” position for approximately 11 minutes. The security light will be steady
    on or flashing for the 11-minute period. Do not proceed to Step 2 until the security light
    turns off or stops flashing.
    2. Turn the ignition switch to the “OFF” position for 30 seconds.
    3. Turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position as in Step 1 for 11 minutes.
    4. Turn the ignition switch to the “OFF” position for 30 seconds.
    5. Turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position as in Step 1 for 11 minutes for a third time.
    6. Turn the ignition switch to the “OFF” position for 30 seconds for a third time.
    7. Turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position for 30 seconds.
    8. Turn the ignition switch to the “OFF” position.
    9. Attempt to start the engine.
    If the engine starts and runs, the relearn is complete.
    Passlock
    Attached Images
    HAMSTAR and HAMSTAR like this.

FoD
    FoD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Yeah...40 minutes to steal a car would make me give up and move onto the next one.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.