Intermittent no crank
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Intermittent no crank in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; By no crank I mean key in "start" and there's no attempt by the starter to crank the engine over. ...
    kevm14 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray CTS-V

Intermittent no crank

By no crank I mean key in "start" and there's no attempt by the starter to crank the engine over. No clicking, no security light. Battery voltage looks good during this condition and after. I end up fiddling around by taking the key out, putting it back in, trying again, etc. I'd almost suspect the clutch switch judging by the behavior but is there anything particularly common that causes this? I may take my 2nd key with me and next time this happens try that one, but it doesn't seem Pass-Key related, since there is no security light when it happens.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Rich64SS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray CTS-V(gone)/08Raven w/ Ebony Tango STS-V

Re: Intermittent no crank

I forgot about that.... it used to happen so infrequently. Sounds like a good issue for CPO.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

I had this happen to my last SHO several times ... most in very horrible situations while in traffic.

For that car, it turned out to be the crank position sensor. Not sure if this is your problem or not, so this might simply be a bump for your thread.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

I'd think a bad CPS would cause a no start, but the engine would crank. Mine just does nothing at all when you try. Then after fiddling around (which may or may not accomplish anything), it cranks just fine and starts like nothing ever happened. As Rich mentioned, this used to happen to him every once in a while (it was his car). There also seems to be extended cranking when cold, but I am almost positive this is completely unrelated.

Houdini is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MT, 2007 CTS-V (Sold)

Previous owner of my car had that happen and they had to replace clutch start switch.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by kevm14 View Post
    I'd think a bad CPS would cause a no start, but the engine would crank. ...
    The SHO wouldn't crank, just a weak-a$$ click. Then, after sitting for a while (~10-15 min), it would start like nothing ever happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Houdini View Post
    Previous owner of my car had that happen and they had to replace clutch start switch.
    That's a VERY plausible cause and worth a looksee IMHO.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

ichpen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

My vote goes for clutch start switch, you can hear it if you're in a quiet garage when you depress the clutch. If you don't hear a click (starter relay) then most definitely clutch. If you hear a click but no crank, you're looking at the starter.

You may possibly want to check the starter relay fuse also (it's in the main fuse box under the hood), big black fuse. Re-seat it.

CTSV_Rob is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)

My Guess:
    1- Starter Solenoid
    2- Clutch switch
    3- Bad ground or volatge connection

Does it happen more often when the car is cold or hot?

Doesn't seem to matter on the temp, though it's happened a few more times when hot.

What I should do the next time is maybe pump the clutch while I have the key in start and see if that wakes it up.

repenttokyo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    I had this happen to my last SHO several times ... most in very horrible situations while in traffic.

For that car, it turned out to be the crank position sensor. Not sure if this is your problem or not, so this might simply be a bump for your thread.
    ford had a lot of cps issues just like that, I had them in my Mark VIII.

The car has been fairly good, with a couple no-cranks here and there. Tonight it did it twice. Once when I was leaving a store, and once when I stopped for gas 10 minutes later. On the latter event, I held the key to start and without doing anything else, it first did nothing, then the starter blipped for a moment, stopped, then it cranked fine and started. I'm still thinking starter because I really don't know how to diagnose it. The question is, do I pay $$ for a new starter now, or wait until it gets worse?

ctsv-mjf is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

My '05 is at Lindsay right now with this issue. They replaced the theft module and that didn't fix it. Still happens. You depress the clutch, turn the key and nothing, just dash lights and no starter crank at all.

Yes, this happened in the bus line at my kids' grade school. Nothing more frustrating.

Hopefully they'll have some ideas when I head down there tomorrow to get it.

Problem with mine is it's still intermittent enough that it didn't happen at all while two different dealers had the car. I even cranked and shut it off like 30 times in front of a tech and nothing.

Houdini is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MT, 2007 CTS-V (Sold)

Mine did the same thing and I waited too long to do anything about it. Good thing our cars push start very easily. Since the new starter was installed, I've had zero problems.

Trouble is, my conventional car wisdom says that starters (or starter solenoids) don't exhibit this failure mode, but if it's broken, it's broken, no matter how "likely." Looks like it's around $200, if GM parts direct is any indication. That's right on the edge of "throw one on and see what happens" cost.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.