can anyone recommend a good starter
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, can anyone recommend a good starter in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; My stock starter had a bit of a meltdown so need to get a replacement asap. Anyone know of any ...
    ichpen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

can anyone recommend a good starter

My stock starter had a bit of a meltdown so need to get a replacement asap. Anyone know of any good aftermarket starters that will fit in place of the stock starter. Will replace the solenoid also.

Cheers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: can anyone recommend a good starter

You might try powermastermotorsports dot com.

Thanks darkman. Any part no? Have blackberry only internet access thanks to my internet provider so I'm going by word here.

Also need a heatshield as I suspect heat had a lot to do with it.

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

Quote Originally Posted by ichpen View Post
    Thanks darkman. Any part no? Have blackberry only internet access thanks to my internet provider so I'm going by word here.

Also need a heatshield as I suspect heat had a lot to do with it.
    They list a part number 19509 for LS applications (XS Model with 200 ft. lbs of torque).

Their phone number is 630-849-7754 Tech, 630-849-4019 Sales.
    e-mail is either sale or tech @ powermasterperformance dot com

Given all the LS applications and transmission combos you would probably want to talk to them.

Thanks guys. Ordered the powermaster 200 ft lbs (9509). Called gm to get solenoid and apparently its part of the same starter assembly so I'm hoping new starter comes with it. Ordered new fuse box starter relay. Not sure what else I need to swap out.

Update in case anyone's starter fails. Powermaster 9509 worked though it's not a direct fit (in its original orientation it will make contact with a connector). Not a problem as you can swivel the engine mounting bracket on the starter. Overall good. Starter sounds very beefy. Need to get some heatwrap as my shop ran out conveniently on the day I picked it up.

Please note nothing much bigger than this will fit with headers. It's really tight in there and the OEM starter is quite slender.

bpitas is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS-V

Old thread, but when you changed your starter, did you figure out a way to do it without shifting the motor mount or dropping the passenger-side cat? My starter solenoid wiring is crumbled, and when I tried to get the old one out yesterday I couldn't figure out how to get it out. It seemed like the motor mount was more in the way than the cat, because it wouldn't come out of the bell housing enough to pivot all the way over to the cat, but I only played around with it for 5 minutes before coming up here to read the forums. :-)

4dr-ls6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hi Guys:
    The dealer tells me I need a new starter. My 2005 has 122K on the clock so I can't complain.

Of course they gave me an absolutely ridiculous estimate to change it, $925.

I think the PowerMaster 9509 is the way to go.

Can I assume the install procedure is not really too different from changing a starter in an old school Chevy 350???

Quote Originally Posted by 4dr-ls6 View Post
    Hi Guys:
    The dealer tells me I need a new starter. My 2005 has 122K on the clock so I can't complain.

Of course they gave me an absolutely ridiculous estimate to change it, $925.

I think the PowerMaster 9509 is the way to go.

Can I assume the install procedure is not really too different from changing a starter in an old school Chevy 350???

I don't understand the $925 estimate. The MRSP on the part is $338 and the labor allowance is only 1.2 hours (excluding those environmental fees & shop supply charges than usually run $25.00 or so at dealerships).

He told me the starter goes for $414 and about $400 in labor to swap the starter and the connector which was fried plus taxes and other assorted BS. I just located an MSD for LS series engines for $250 delivered Monday. I'm assuming I can crimp a new connector without replacing the whole wire which is likely what Cadillac wants to do. Is the starter a relaticely simple install?

He told me the starter goes for $414 and about $400 in labor to swap the starter and the connector which was fried plus taxes and other assorted BS. I just located an MSD for LS series engines for $250 delivered Monday. I'm assuming I can crimp a new connector without replacing the whole wire which is likely what Cadillac wants to do. Is the starter a relaticely simple install?
    The starter should be simple to install. We did have one report from a forum member that could not get the starter off the car. If I recall correctly that had to do with clearance between the starter and ground - in other words the jack stand were not tall enough. There has also been some dicussion about whether the passenger side cat has to be removed to access the starter. (Removing the passenger side cat can be trouble if you have not removed it before - the rust welds the bolt. The first time I removed my cats it took a powerful impact wrench with 1/2 inch (not 3/8) extensions and a lot of Liquid Wrnech or PB Blaster.)

Do Not Forget to Disconnect the battery first.

CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    I removed my starter last time I did motor mounts because I couldn't get the cat off, and the passenger stock mount couldn't get through the gap between the starter and cat. I got the mount all buttoned up tight, and the damn starter needed 1/4 in more clearance to get back in! I had to loosen all the mount bolts to allow it to move up and away enough to get the starter back in. Not fun after hours on your back. Those parts get heavy fast..

So, I have to assume the starter isn't coming out without either loosening the mount or removing the cat, but I can't say for sure on the cat. You may have to loosen the mount.. Either way, angle it upward to remove and replace it.

I think I got the cs mount out without removing the starter, so if you have cs mounts, perhaps you can get it out without removing either one of the above.

I couldn't get my cats off cause those bolts were frozen. I pb'd those bastards all night, then used a can of freeze off...nada. It felt like I could have snapped one so I wasn't really putting the meat on it.

I say take the time and do it yourself. That's a high price to pay..

If it helps here is the gm part number for the starter I got - 89017491, and the connector 12101763.

Thanks again Darkman. I assume I can apply some heat (propane torcgh) to the cat bolts to loosen if need be?

Thanks again Darkman. I assume I can apply some heat (propane torcgh) to the cat bolts to loosen if need be?
    You may be able to use a propane torch, although it is pretty close quarters. A long nose heat gun would be another alternative.

When I removed my cats for the first time I had the luxury of spreading the task over more than one day - so I was able to soak the bolts with PB Blaster several times. Even then, I had to pull out all the stops using a 1/2 inch drive impact with a 1/2 6-point socket and the shortest extension that would work (longer or smaller diameter extensions soften the twisting torque). I also used 5/8 inch air hose from the compressor to the wrench instead of smaller line. Finally, I think Ewil (of Lindsay Cadillac) said that he prefers a long breaker bar to an impact wrench. A 2-3 foot cheater pipe might help.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.