can anyone recommend a good starter - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, can anyone recommend a good starter in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Breaker bar is a good way to snap off rusty fasteners, so YMMV. I'm terrified about having to do mine ...
    kevm14 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray CTS-V

Re: can anyone recommend a good starter

Breaker bar is a good way to snap off rusty fasteners, so YMMV. I'm terrified about having to do mine on a car that was driven all year in New England from about 28k to 100k. If I can cheat by screwing with the engine mounts instead, and leave the cat, then that would be ideal, because I'd like to change them anyway.

bpitas is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS-V

I was able to do it without removing the passenger side cat by unbolting the passenger-side motor-mount and moving it forward a couple of inches. When I did mine a couple of months ago, I was thinking I would be able to find a way to wiggle the stock starter out without removing the cat or the motor mount, but there is just no way. I'd rather deal with a motor mount than rusty exhaust bolts any day of the week - I've had to drill too many of those damned things in the past. :-)

Also, I would highly recommend replacing the connector to the snout of the solenoid. There's a ton of radiational heat coming off the cat, which is about 4" away from the starter, so that plastic gets super-brittle over time. Definitely best to do both while you're under there!

kevm14 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray CTS-V

Do you have an LS6? If so, that is great news for me. I sense a new starter and CS mounts in my car's future. The starter's been behaving recently, but whatever is causing those intermittent no-cranks will just fail someday.

bpitas is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS-V
    Mine is an LS6, and mine was intermittent... until it wasn't and the car wouldn't start. The failure on mine was the connection to the solenoid - it was *cooked* and crumbled in my hand when I touched it.

CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

makes me wonder if people should get the connector before they actually replace the starter. Mine was not in the best shape when I saw it during the mm install.

One morning before work I got the ole power but no start.. I assumed it was the starter so I decided to use my warranty's roadside service and call a wrecker to just drop it at the dealer. They couldn't get it on the truck because it was too low.. I contemplated jacking up the car and adjusting the gc but I wasn't sure an inch would make much difference so I reached up there and fiddled with the connector.. it felt loose so I just pushed it back in place and it started.. I did this about 5 times over a few months because it was much easier/less stressful than taking it in to get that one thing fixed.

Once after a business dinner I had to it in a parking lot in front of a couple of people from another country (asia)... They didn't laugh because I am the customer!

4dr-ls6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Hi All:

I completed the starter install with just a few obstacles along the way. The cat definitely had to be removed along with the outboard manifold stud. I just could not get the old starter around it otherwise. A propone torch made relative quick work of the manifold stud bolts and stud removal. The bolts and studs both have to be removed on the bottom of the cat to remove it (from the vehicle) and they came out easily with a deep well 15mm 1/2" drive socket (bolts) and a thin 15mm open end wrench (studs).

I replaced the manifold stud [removed] with an M10 thread stud and bolt with no problems (even cut a few extra threads on die cutter). One of the cat bolts cross threaded going back in and snapped. That had to be drilled and re-tapped with an M12 bolt.

The starter I used is an MSD Model# 5096. It is a perfect fit with no skims required. It has the 360 degree mounting boss but in its factory position it fit perfectly. One large battery terminal (break off the factory tab) and one for the ignition that needs the supplied connector crimped on since the factory starter has a push-in connector. It has a real trick look to it with a glossy bright red finish and a polished billet mounting block. It also sounds cool starting up with a bit of a quick drag car whine. Excellent piece delivered overnight (on Saturday) to my door for $256.90 through Summit.

Reagrds, PG

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Congratulations, I am glad it worked out for you.

Slithering_Joe is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, Powered by Chevrolet

Get some heat shielding to protect the starter from the cat or that pretty red paint will be toast in no time. Also, it will help the starter last long too. I wrapped part of the starter body, the wire harness and draped a portion of the header with DEi Heat Screen to protect mine. My original starter got baked and failed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.