new gen 4 diff, which oil? also broken out of the box ugh
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, new gen 4 diff, which oil? also broken out of the box ugh in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; hi guys.. very excited I made enough $ buying, refurb, and selling V parts and more to buy my own ...
    bneal1022 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, K&N, Borla, short throw w/ Holden knob, hotchkis

new gen 4 diff, which oil? also broken out of the box ugh

hi guys..
    very excited I made enough $ buying, refurb, and selling V parts and more to buy my own new gen 4 diff as mine is dying (those at v-day4 know) . Got it home from GM dealer, they loaded it in my wifes car. I lifed it out of box and..... tink a tink tink. aluminum pieces on the garage floor. The fins in the case are all broken. Apparently it was dropped before I got it.

Needless to say I held the check until they get a new one for me.. I will fight that battle tomorrow.

So, I (will) have a new gen 4 diff for $1498. I know the factory oil is Mobil 75W-90 with the GM friction additive. I replaced my original diff oil with Royal Purple 75W-90 Max-Gear which already has the additive in it a year ago. It did quiet my diff for about 6 months.

So with a new new diff, what oil does the group reccommend? I was planning on just starting out with RP. thoughts?

I will be transferring my CS gray bushing... oh BTW, the new diff does not include a vent... anything I need to know about a vent? I saw posts about a vent or vent leaking issue in the past. input?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: new gen 4 diff, which oil? also broken out of the box ugh

The GM fluid is not Mobil1 75w-90. The GM fluid, Part #89021677, is the only commercially available fluid that meets GM specification 9986115, which requires a specific high temperature endurance test not required to meet the API-GL-5 standard. Technically, the use of other fluids would not maintain the original warranty. For obvious reasons, the warranty issue is moot and was never enforced because even when a differential failed the dealer had no practical way (or incentive) to tell what fluid was being used in the failed unit.

I personally still use the GM fluid because I am stubborn, but it is expensive.

If I were to switch fluids it would be to Amsoil Severe Gear.

AAIIIC is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

I'm using Amsoil. Can't say it's any better or worse than anything else.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

lilgCTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 06CTS-V BOLT-ON,06JEEP TJ BUILT, 91 350SDL turbo(daily)

gen 4 ???

Quote Originally Posted by lilgCTS-V View Post
    gen 4 ???
    it depends on what you call a "gen" or part number. there have been at least 4 different part numbers for our diff. I actually have a 1308 in my car and according to several others, these never made it far in the field.

Gen. 1st---- 10361308
    2nd---- 12378261
    3rd----- 15793756
    4th----- 25873498

Ok so that is 2 votes for the amsoil, zero for RP, and 1 for OEM. I just wanna do whats right for my new diff right out of the gate.

darkman...
    is this the fluid? it is a 75w-90 synthetic. does this need the additive or not?
    http://paceperformance.com/index.asp...D&ProdID=21329

or i guess i could use the amsoil.

the RP meets API GL-5
    http://www.royalpurple.com/gear-oil.html

JDB
    JDB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 Raven/Ebony CTS-V with toys

I recently had mine replaced under CPO warranty with gen 4 and the dealer only used the new GM fluid, no additive. They said the additive was a "fix" to use with the older diffs, which obviously didn't work.

verywhitedevil is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V

i use Royal Purp 75/140 w/ additive. no issues.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

JDB, what did you just say?
    The additive is required from the factory.
    Stay away from that dealer or educate them....

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    The GM fluid is not Mobil1 75w-90. The GM fluid, Part #89021677, is the only commercially available fluid that meets GM specification 9986115, which requires a specific high temperature endurance test not required to meet the API-GL-5 standard. Technically, the use of other fluids would not maintain the original warranty. For obvious reasons, the warranty issue is moot and was never enforced because even when a differential failed the dealer had no practical way (or incentive) to tell what fluid was being used in the failed unit.

I personally still use the GM fluid because I am stubborn, but it is expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    I'm using Amsoil. Can't say it's any better or worse than anything else.
    Of all fluids put in this car, a quality fluid anywhere is fine. But for the diff, I'd look for any little benefit I can. I didn't get Amsoil Severe Gear in my '04 before my accident. But I used it in my '09.

Now, is it any better? Not sure. But some guys have gotten diff temp warnings on the track. At Summit Point, I did not and you remember how oppressive it was that day? No issues. So I'm inclined to keep using it...

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

[quote=bneal1022;2295777]
    darkman...
    is this the fluid? it is a 75w-90 synthetic. does this need the additive or not?
    http://paceperformance.com/index.asp...D&ProdID=21329

Here is the additive.

http://paceperformance.com/index.asp...D&ProdID=29478

The Royal Purple has not done well in compartive tests. We have had more postive feedback on Amsoil Severe Gear than any other single product, particularly from those who track the car.

nmaier2201 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post

+1 I've been running severe gear and it's been great to me*.

* your experience may vary

alright.. which amsoil weight and with w/o GM additive?

ewill
    from the dealer exactly what part numbers do I need? fluid and additive? It even requires additive with 89021677

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

The friction modifier is the same part number we have used for years and years.
    From the CTS-V owner's manual you need:

SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Axle Lubricant (GM Part No. U.S. 12378261, in Canada 10953455) meeting GM Specification 9986115. With a complete drain and refill add 4 ounces (118 ml) of Limited-Slip Axle Lubricant Additive (GM Part No. U.S. 1052358, in Canada 992694) where required. See Rear Axle
    I think the 8261 number changes to the 1677 in the catalog and they just never updated the manual.
    The issue is most Cadillac dealers aren't used to the limited slip differential and they really don't understand that the V has one and that it requires the additive even though it doesn't have the G80 RPO on the build sheet. It has a G80 diff, but it is part of the V package and not listed as an option on the label because of that.

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

I use Redline and love it. I even stepped up to half 75w90 and half 75w140 and it quieted down the whine substansially. Plus it has LSD modifier built in.

I have tried the GM stuff, and it was noisy off the get go, didn't smell like grapes (lol), and was more expensive after buying the LSD modifier bottle. Booooo all around.

If you have to add LSD modifier, always put it in first. THEN, put the gear oil in. That way you make sure you get the entire bottle of modifier in there.

As far as the vent goes.... Use a socket that just fits over the vent but touches the ridge of it, and tap it into the diff with a hammer.

maxspeed96ct is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Congrates on the new diff! I hope to get a gen 4 someday aswell .

were did you get it for that sweet price ?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.