new gen 4 diff, which oil? also broken out of the box ugh - Page 4
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 71
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, new gen 4 diff, which oil? also broken out of the box ugh in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by ewill3rd JDB, what did you just say? The additive is required from the factory. Stay away from ...
  1. #46
    JDB's Avatar
    JDB
    JDB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 Raven/Ebony CTS-V with toys
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,053

    Re: new gen 4 diff, which oil? also broken out of the box ugh

    Quote Originally Posted by ewill3rd View Post
    JDB, what did you just say?
    The additive is required from the factory.
    Stay away from that dealer or educate them....
    That's what I thought (from reading this forum), but they said that they checked and it was not required to be put into the new diffs.

    Is there a new GM fluid? PN? Someone earlier posted GM fluid, Part #89021677. That's the # on my invoice. They seem to think that this fluid works fine in the gen 4 diff.

    Is there an 800 number Cadillac? ...because I want a 100% answer.

    http://www.cadillac.com/pages/mds/he...r/contactUs.do ?

    I'll be calling on Monday.

  2. #47
    ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    WOODBRIDGE, VA
    Age
    46
    Posts
    11,062

    Re: new gen 4 diff, which oil? also broken out of the box ugh

    The new diff is structurally different but it is still a limited slip.
    That dealer doesn't know what in the world they are talking about.
    The specifications I posted somewhere apply to replacement diffs as well.
    It won't really do any short term damage but they need to get the modifier in there or the clutch packs are going to start grinding and making you nuts.
    That is the right fluid, but they have to add 4 oz. of the friction modifier.

  3. #48
    CadzillaTN's Avatar
    CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,069

    Re: new gen 4 diff, which oil? also broken out of the box ugh

    i got a new (what i assume is a new gen 4, i have not seen paperwork yet) diff friday. ive noticed that it sings a bit... that is, with the radio down and listening closely... seems worst in 4th on light decel around 40-50..other gears not as much noise if any at all.

    should a new diff be whisper quiet or will all of these have 'some' noise? i recall the gen3 replacement i got in 08 being quieter than this.

    im not worried about it breaking, just that perhaps the correct fluids were not added up front. i want to preserve this thing...

    the car has not been driven hard at all since install and i dont plan on romping it for weeks.....this is going to be VERY hard not to do considering i had the cs grey mounts installed at the same time......

  4. #49
    darkman's Avatar
    darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Spring, Texas
    Posts
    7,010

    Re: new gen 4 diff, which oil? also broken out of the box ugh

    Quote Originally Posted by CadzillaTN View Post
    i got a new (what i assume is a new gen 4, i have not seen paperwork yet) diff friday. ive noticed that it sings a bit... that is, with the radio down and listening closely... seems worst in 4th on light decel around 40-50..other gears not as much noise if any at all.

    should a new diff be whisper quiet or will all of these have 'some' noise? i recall the gen3 replacement i got in 08 being quieter than this.

    im not worried about it breaking, just that perhaps the correct fluids were not added up front. i want to preserve this thing...

    the car has not been driven hard at all since install and i dont plan on romping it for weeks.....this is going to be VERY hard not to do considering i had the cs grey mounts installed at the same time......
    A new differential should be silent - if it is not I would complain about that immediately. The absence of the limited slip additive, as you know, only causes chatter in slow corners. Whining indicates the ring-gear-to-pinion clearance is wrong or the gears are worn (which presumably is not possible if the unit is truely new).

  5. #50
    CadzillaTN's Avatar
    CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,069

    Re: new gen 4 diff, which oil? also broken out of the box ugh

    thanks, ill take it back.

  6. #51
    kirchbed's Avatar
    kirchbed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    349

    Re: new gen 4 diff, which oil? also broken out of the box ugh

    Quote Originally Posted by CadzillaTN View Post
    thanks, ill take it back.
    You should. I've been driving w/ a new one since Friday and it's absolutely silent.

  7. #52
    JDB's Avatar
    JDB
    JDB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 Raven/Ebony CTS-V with toys
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,053

    Re: new gen 4 diff, which oil? also broken out of the box ugh

    Quote Originally Posted by ewill3rd View Post
    The new diff is structurally different but it is still a limited slip.
    That dealer doesn't know what in the world they are talking about.
    The specifications I posted somewhere apply to replacement diffs as well.
    It won't really do any short term damage but they need to get the modifier in there or the clutch packs are going to start grinding and making you nuts.
    That is the right fluid, but they have to add 4 oz. of the friction modifier.
    That's what I figured too, since it makes no sense. BUT, I called a different dealer today and they too said that they're not using the additive now.

    I'm tempted to buy it or the one that Amsoil sells and put it in myself.

  8. #53
    JNR
    JNR is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Age
    41
    Posts
    55

    Re: new gen 4 diff, which oil? also broken out of the box ugh

    Does the fluid already contain a LSD additive, perhaps? I know some of the aftermarket ones do, but I've personally never had luck using only that and end up having to put additional LSD additive in, to avoid the chattering and lopsided wheel feeling.

    I changed the diff oil this weekend (love having the plug on the bottom!) and used Mobil 1 and the equa torque stuff and seems to work pretty well. The hardest thing was determining when it was actually full, since my pump's tube wouldn't go all the way into the threaded hole (next time will put a nipple on the end of the hose that will protrude in more), so halfway thru it started dripping out...IIRc, took about 1 1/2 quarts.

    I looked around and couldn't find a p/n on the housing...So, does anybody know where I could find out the p/n I have? (it's a 2007 and as I mentioned above, the guy claims the dealer upgraded it, but I'm skeptical). No issues, but I like to know what I have.

  9. #54
    bneal1022's Avatar
    bneal1022 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, K&N, Borla, short throw w/ Holden knob, hotchkis
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    37
    Posts
    906

    Re: new gen 4 diff, which oil? also broken out of the box ugh

    rear of diff upper passenger side mounting arm. it is a white getrag label 2"x3" at least. should not be able to miss it

  10. #55
    JNR
    JNR is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Age
    41
    Posts
    55

    Re: new gen 4 diff, which oil? also broken out of the box ugh

    Thanks, I will check it out next time I'm under there.

  11. #56
    thebigjimsho's Avatar
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    In the barrel of a gun...
    Posts
    49,319

    Re: new gen 4 diff, which oil? also broken out of the box ugh

    Yep, brought the '04 in to Lindsay the week before V-Day I and my expiring warranty. Motor mounts, diff bushing and a whole slew of items to get the V tech ready were to be done. As I was on the way down the day before to pick it up, I stopped on the NJ TP to check in on the forums to see how everything was going.

    and wouldn't you know it, Bill thought the whine was too loud and was able to get me a new(latest gen) unit. Heaven is Lindsay Cadillac...

  12. #57
    CadzillaTN's Avatar
    CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,069

    Re: new gen 4 diff, which oil? also broken out of the box ugh

    Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    A new differential should be silent - if it is not I would complain about that immediately. The absence of the limited slip additive, as you know, only causes chatter in slow corners. Whining indicates the ring-gear-to-pinion clearance is wrong or the gears are worn (which presumably is not possible if the unit is truely new).
    parts dept told my writer it was a new unit. the service mgr rode with me to listen...he said it would be very odd for it to be bad out of the box but acknowledged it was possible and he would return it if so...

    it sang over rush hour traffic in 4th, and when i tested it tonight with the seats down it howled like a wolf on decel from 48 down to 40 in both 3rd and 4th. didnt try 5th.

    im bringing her back in for another issue.. they're going to put the stethoscope on 'to rule out anything else'. dont see what it could be

  13. #58
    JDB's Avatar
    JDB
    JDB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 Raven/Ebony CTS-V with toys
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,053

    Re: new gen 4 diff, which oil? also broken out of the box ugh

    Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Yep, brought the '04 in to Lindsay the week before V-Day I and my expiring warranty. Motor mounts, diff bushing and a whole slew of items to get the V tech ready were to be done. As I was on the way down the day before to pick it up, I stopped on the NJ TP to check in on the forums to see how everything was going.

    and wouldn't you know it, Bill thought the whine was too loud and was able to get me a new(latest gen) unit. Heaven is Lindsay Cadillac...
    Did they use the additive?

  14. #59
    ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    WOODBRIDGE, VA
    Age
    46
    Posts
    11,062

    Re: new gen 4 diff, which oil? also broken out of the box ugh

    We always put in the additive because we are literate.

    Seriously though, it really boils my blood to hear you guys tell me that dealers are saying that the diff "doesn't need" friction modifier.
    Ask them to show you in writing where it says that the updated diff doesn't require the friction modifier!
    I have shown you guys in print where the limited slip diff calls for it.
    If they say it isn't limited slip tell them to raise the car, put it in gear with the park brake released and ask them to spin a rear wheel.
    After they give themselves a hernia have them explain why it isn't a limited slip and if it is, why it wouldn't require the modifier that it calls for in the manual for a limited slip diff.
    Be polite

  15. #60
    ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    WOODBRIDGE, VA
    Age
    46
    Posts
    11,062

    Re: new gen 4 diff, which oil? also broken out of the box ugh

    PS: I just blasted them on the GM tech forum for this.
    Can't wait to hear the excuses....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting