new gen 4 diff, which oil? also broken out of the box ugh - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, new gen 4 diff, which oil? also broken out of the box ugh in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by maxspeed96ct junk yards around the us, cleveland pick a park and ebay always have 157*** 3.73 limited ...
    TroyFleming is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Re: new gen 4 diff, which oil? also broken out of the box ugh

Quote Originally Posted by maxspeed96ct View Post
    junk yards around the us, cleveland pick a park and ebay always have 157*** 3.73 limited slip V diffs for cheap (~$500, seen a few for even less).

Im running a gen 1 diff, And id like to one day upgrade but im tryin to decide whether to upgrade to the 157**** or just keep saving and buy a new gen 4

Cleveland Pick a part has them, but when they sell them cheap they end up raping you on shipping. Checkout all there listings and you will notice the wide range of estimated prices. If a part sell's at low end, they charge the highest shipping, if higher selling price, they work with you on shipping. Personally I would just save and go new with the GEN 4 if you have the money and plan to really get on differential. If you are not abusive the GEN 3 will last forever and probably 1/3 the cost.

bneal1022 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, K&N, Borla, short throw w/ Holden knob, hotchkis

how about a break in period? How long (in miles) should i go with new fluid and 4oz additive to reduce temps for break in, then change out to fresh fluid and additive only as needed? should i use a different weight oil during break in? should i take a long run for a while or short regular use for break in?

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by bneal1022 View Post
    how about a break in period? How long (in miles) should i go with new fluid and 4oz additive to reduce temps for break in, then change out to fresh fluid and additive only as needed? should i use a different weight oil during break in? should i take a long run for a while or short regular use for break in?
    The break-in procedure that I used at the recomendation of a Service Manager was as follows:

For the first 500 miles-
    1. Avoid constant differential rpm - that is don't go on a long trip on the interstate and try to vary speeds as much as traffic allows.
    2. Heat cycling - Avoid driving more than 30 minutes without a cool off period.
    3. Avoid full throttle unless you are about to let it cool down for awhile.
    4. Change the fluid at or about 500 miles.

thanks darkman !! the info below is from redline's page about diff break in. sounds like i will use 75w90 or stepped to 75w140 with the additive as specified below with your notes above.. thoughts?

MORE TECHNICAL INFORMATION

Limited-slip or Positraction units use plates or clutches to provide the proper amount of lock-up to the differential. Slippery lubricants are required to prevent chatter, but too much slipperiness causes excess wheel spin, reducing traction.
    For perfect traction, use Red Line 75W90NS and add the Red Line Limited-Slip Differential Friction-Modifier / Break-In Additive until the chatter disappears.

Satisfies performance requirements of GM 1052358, Ford M2C118-A, 19B546-MA, Chrysler 4318060 and most imports.

Recommended Dosage:
    Use 4% for prevention of limited slip chatter in broken-in units (typical one 4 oz. bottle) or 4 to 8% for the break-in of new differentials.

Red Line Limited-Slip Differential Friction-Modifier / Break-In Additive will significantly reduce the friction during break-in of differentials. High temperatures encountered in break-in
    can destroy the hardening of the gear teeth causing rapid wear of the softened gears. This additive can reduce the break-in temperatures by as much as 50°F, improving break-in conditions. Compatible with petroleum or synthetic gear oils. Red Line Gear Oils already contain this additive (except the NS).

In non limited-slip racing differentials and quick change units using the Red Line ShockProof Gear Oils an additional 3 to 6% Red Line Limited-Slip Differential Friction-Modifier / Break-In Additive is recommended.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Sounds like you've got a plan - the theme seems to be to avoid sustained heat during break which makes sense because the ring and pinion gears have to wear in and that means friction. The Redline additive is based on the same theme.

kirchbed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Tangential post here:

Dropped the V off at Lindsay on Monday to replace leaky water pump & asked Alex (service writer) to see if my warranty provider would cover a diff replacement. Total wildcard request... I have the standard 45-65mph whine, but that's it. Frankly, I wasn't sure how extensive my driveline coverage was and at the least the request would let me know.

I had asked Bill (senior tech) there to evaluate my diff when I took it in for the VDay IV check-up early in June and he wrote up that it indeed had the whine that was likely caused by the diff housing deformation and the the std fix by Cadillac is full diff replacement.

Yesterday the warranty provider sent out an inspector, Bill gave him the 'let me tell you 'bout CTS-V diff' speech and, for the cost of my $250 deductible for a water pump replacement, I'm getting $3k+ parts and labor that includes a new current generation differential. They guy didn't even drive the car!

I feel like I just got a hole in one. I'd be buying you all drinks right now if you were in the area!

I heart Bill and Lindsay Cadillac!

Quadruple smily icons to follow:

New-found appreciation for Brandon and D'man's diff break-in strategies.

I will be applying this to my situation. Thanks guys!!!

JNR
    JNR is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Is there somewhere on the housing the part number is visible?

I have an 07 and the previous owner was telling me that the service dept. upgraded the rear, but I was under the impression the 06-07's already had upgraded diffs and halfshaft(s) was it? I want to see if I can get the report of services done on the car, if at all possible (guy from the GTO boards used to do this...was a GM-IVS-something report.

Thankfully, mine is super quiet (no whine whatsoever), but want to know if he's full of crap and/or what I have in there. i plan to change the fluid soon and picked up some Mobil 1, but not so sure if I want to chance the equa-torque additive they sell or get the dealer stuff...My GTO was fine with it, but a Jeep (had electronic lockers) did not like it one bit (the additive)...I've always had good luck with M1, fwiw...

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

kirch,

I have you slated for the install tomorrow (Friday) and I plan to have it done.
    I am waiting on a part for an XLR and I have a big estimate to put together for some impact damage on another but I should be able to get it on the lift pretty early and me and my helper should be able to knock it out pretty quickly.
    If I can keep the advisors from loading me down early I should have you ready to go by late tomorrow.
    I will try to have John call you as soon as it is done.

I'm glad we could help, the last extended warranty would only pay for a salvage unit like I told you earlier today.
    I am surprised they are paying for it but I think what I told him about the updated unit helped.
    I think they will soon realize the futility of dealing with a pre-08 unit.

Kirch, nice work with the diff. I only had 1 month left on my warranty when I got my v last year. Oh well, new diffs for all! I just got my 2nd new gen 4 unit last weekend and it was not damaged in transit. Got a new vent and tube if I have a vent leak, and just got done assembling my new Gforce econo axle. And cutouts arrive this weekend. It is shaping up to be another big install day shortly. I will break in with amsoil 75W-110 with 4% redline breakin additive. Drain as darkman indicated then refil with new 75W-110 and only add additive as chatter occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by ewill3rd View Post
    kirch,
    I'm glad we could help, the last extended warranty would only pay for a salvage unit like I told you earlier today.
    I am surprised they are paying for it but I think what I told him about the updated unit helped.
    What you were able to convey to him is the reason I'm getting a new diff!

Quote Originally Posted by bneal1022 View Post
    ... just got done assembling my new Gforce econo axle....
    I wish this all had been a little more planned out... I would have ordered a Gforce axle and had it installed w/ the new diff since it was going to be all apart anyway.

Just picked up the car from Lindsay... no whine + no clunk =

Thanks again Bill!

No prob Kirch, glad to help.

Hope you got to smile a bit on the way home

I usually only remove the left axle to install the diff so it wasn't all apart.
    If you get axles try to get the complete ones.
    I have had boot issues on the other kits I have installed before.

Quote Originally Posted by ewill3rd View Post
    No prob Kirch, glad to help.

Hope you got to smile a bit on the way home

I usually only remove the left axle to install the diff so it wasn't all apart.
    If you get axles try to get the complete ones.
    I have had boot issues on the other kits I have installed before.
    2nd that on the boot kits that came with the shaft... I'm not a fan of the replacements. one almost keeps popping off. I may get originals.

Ooops, I mean the right axle, not the left... sorry.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.