Fuel Leak! Fuel Pump Melting & Smoking!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Fuel Leak! Fuel Pump Melting & Smoking!! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I have had a slight starting issue for a while now...the fuel pressure at start-up wasn't holding so I have ...
    CTSV_510 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)

Exclamation Fuel Leak! Fuel Pump Melting & Smoking!!

I have had a slight starting issue for a while now...the fuel pressure at start-up wasn't holding so I have had to run the fuel pump twice before starting. Turning the key to the on position runs the pump for 2 seconds, then a switch to off and then to start and it would start fine. Since I NEVER had any fuel leaks, I suspected a faulty check valve in the fuel pump assembly (after consulting the service manual.) Well I kind of learned to live with the issue since dropping the fuel tank @ 10 or whatever hours of labor would be awfully expensive to fix something that was little more than a nuisance.

On Sunday I was running around town doing errands, then I stopped at the gas station on the way home and filled up the tank. When I got home and got out of the car, there was a pretty strong smell of gasoline. I looked under the car and found this:

Holy crap that was the first time I'd seen anything like that. I threw a catch pan under it and then jacked up the passenger side of the car until the flow stopped. I inspected for damage but saw none. The leak was obviously coming from the top of the tank, which is absolutely impossible to see or even reach with your fingers. I lowered the car back down and the fuel started spilling out again. 30 minutes later and a full gallon had drained out. I ended up jacking up the drivers side next to try to get as much drained out as I could and got about another gallon.

I searched and found just one single forum member that had the same issue. I contacted him and found out that he ended up cutting a hole underneath the passenger side rear seat right above where the leak seemed to be coming from. Much easier than dropping the exhaust, driveshaft, and rear subframe to lower the tank. His issue was a loose locking ring that holds in the fuel pump assembly. He was able to simply tighten it back up, button up the hole and move on.

I wish my issue was that simple. After cutting a small hole and looking around, it wasn't obvious where the leak was coming from because the locking ring was definitely fully locked. I reconnected the battery and turned the ignition to on while me and my buddy watched for a leak. Immediately, smoke started flowing out of the hole so I shut the ignition off and disconnected the battery. We opened up the hole more, here is a shot looking from the passenger side into the car at the top of the fuel pump assembly:

Looks OK from here. Now from the other side....

YES, that is a hole burnt right through the electrical connector piece that comes out of the top of the fuel pump assembly.

I believe I am pretty lucky to have not blown up in the car at some point in the past year or so. Now, WHAT THE HECK CAUSED THIS????

I have a maggie with a magnavolt (Magnuson brand fuel pump voltage booster) that I have been running for 18000+ miles. My buddy and I went back over the entire installation of the magnavolt system and how it ties into the fuel pump curcuit. Everything is exactly as specified in the manual, with the addition of the extra ground connections to prevent the magnavolt from burning up, which was a very common problem. The original fuel pump fuse gets changed from a 20A to a 30A when installing the magnavolt.

Now I KNOW I have never read about anyone having this issue anywhere on this forum or ls1tech. It doesn't seem that the magnavolt is to blame because there are people out there that have run them for a whole lot longer than I have with no issues like this.

My buddy works at a corvette shop and has a line into GM so he is ordering me a new pump tomorrow. I still need to figure out WHY this happened so I can make sure it doesn't happen again.

Maybe the starting issue I've had (mind you this is the only odd symptom I've had, the car runs flawlessly otherwise) was actually my fuel pump going bad? Could a dying pump cause this piece to burn up somehow? I bought the car used with about 36k miles on it 2 and half years ago so who knows what happened to it before then. As long as I've owned it I never ran out of fuel, which I hear can cause damage and shorten the life of a fuel pump.

Any help or ideas is appreciated!

Tom

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Fuel Leak! Fuel Pump Melting & Smoking!!

Why does the original pump get a 30A fuse instead of a 20A ?

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    Why does the original pump get a 30A fuse instead of a 20A ?
    That's what the instructions call for...literally on the first page. I plan on asking Magnuson that though tomorrow when I call them...but again it's the same instructions for everyone and I haven't heard of this happening before.

bneal1022 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, K&N, Borla, short throw w/ Holden knob, hotchkis

Thanks.. getting dark on the east coast... Now I will have nightmares. Dude, sorry... no really holy crap, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by CTSV_510 View Post
    That's what the instructions call for...literally on the first page. I plan on asking Magnuson that though tomorrow when I call them...but again it's the same instructions for everyone and I haven't heard of this happening before.
    Well I am no expert on electrics, but the idea that a circuit can be "upgraded" to handle additional load with simple fuse change strikes me as risky, although going from 20-30A may be no big deal. In any event, the 30A fuse apparently did not protect you from whatever went wrong, which is what a fused circuit is supposed to do.

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

It would take an inspection of the terminals to see what part of the connection failed.

Could be a bad crimp, or it finally failed from stress.

The cause is the amount of current (the fuel pump) was drawing.

The Magna volt bumps the voltage so a connection going bad is gonna be exasperated.

Glad you didn't arc over and go poof.

(I have fire extinguisher brackets by the way)

Quote Originally Posted by heavymetals View Post
    (I have fire extinguisher brackets by the way)
    And mine is coming back out of the trunk tomorrow morning.

I will be doing more inspection tomorrow when I have a better metal snipping tool to make this hole bigger and cleaner. I will pull and check the electrical connection closely.

deedubb is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): E85 Powered - Maggie'd V

Woah man, that's scary! I'm more scared of the hole you cut with a hand axe! Atleast you'll have a trap door now, but the event that this will ever occur again after you've fixed it this time is probably null.

I'm still pondering whether this is likely to happen again if I go with a new stock pump and keep the magnavolt. I'm concerned with reliability of going to non-GM parts, but this situation doesn't exactly make me feel great about just replacing everything with the same parts.

Looking at the magnacharger install intructions for other vehicles, it seems that the CTS-V is the only one that uses a magnavolt that they have you change the fuel pump fuse out to a larger one.

Quote Originally Posted by CTSV_510 View Post
    I'm still pondering whether this is likely to happen again if I go with a new stock pump and keep the magnavolt. I'm concerned with reliability of going to non-GM parts, but this situation doesn't exactly make me feel great about just replacing everything with the same parts.
    Since you will have an access hole there, you could add an in-line 20A fuse for just the stock pump.
    GDPossehl and GDPossehl like this.

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

Get a better pump, if one will fit (Walbro).

http://www.walbro.com/

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    Since you will have an access hole there, you could add an in-line 20A fuse for just the stock pump.
    How would that be different from changing the 30A back to a 20A in the normal fuse location?

benelliwang is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTSV, C5TT, STi, 70Camaro

CTSV_510, I am glad that my instruction helped you with getting access to the tank. The magnavolt sounds like it works like a boost a pump, and I am not a big fan of such stuff. It increases voltage to over drive a fuel pump to keep the fuel pressure up, which taxes the oem pump and wires. Sometimes, when the dark stars align, it will cause issues like your vehicle. When I was doing the twin turbo set up on the corvette, I did the follwoing:
    1. Run a thick gauge wire from alternator to the fuel pump. The oem wire becomes the switch for the relay. Additional fuse is added.
    2. I run a higher capacity fuel pump and tuned the car for it.

Unfortunately I ran out of fuel as the injectors are at 96% at 17psi, I will have to upgrade to dual pumps if I want to up the boost.

Good luck and let me know if I can help.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.