Fuel Leak! Fuel Pump Melting & Smoking!! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Fuel Leak! Fuel Pump Melting & Smoking!! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I actually can't believe my fuel pump was still working : The fuel pump lock ring is a pain in ...
    CTSV_510 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)

Re: Fuel Leak! Fuel Pump Melting & Smoking!!

I actually can't believe my fuel pump was still working :

The fuel pump lock ring is a pain in the ass to get off without the special GM tool.

In case anyone is interested....here is some info for cutting a hole for access to the fuel pump/

To start the hole, use a regular drill with a drill stop on it so that it can only go down about and 1/8" just to get through the sheet metal. You don't want to go too far because you could damage the electrical wiring, sending unit or the tank itself. This picture is looking in from the passenger rear door at the area below the rear passenger seat:

I cut the hole out with tin snips - the metal is very thin and very soft so it was very easy. The lock ring that holds the fuel pump assembly in is a pain to get off. I cut the hole a little bigger at the top of the picture to get a 10" piece of copper pipe at a good angle on the ring to break it loose. Use a big hammer for this - I used a mini sledge and you have to whack it really really hard or you're wasting your time. You will see that I cut the plastic fuel line connection because I was replacing the whole assembly. If you're re-using these parts, you may have to cut the hole bigger in a different spot to get a good angle on the lock ring.

For an update...

I replaced the fuel pump assembly (pump, level sensor & sending unit) and soldered in a new connection for this piece of the electrical harness. I took out the 30A fuel pump fuse that Magnuson tells you to use and replaced it with the stock 20A fuse. I read through the instructions for all the other Magnuson kits and the CTS-V instructions are the only ones that tell you to upgrade the fuse. This fuse upgrade is suspect to me to so I am starting out this time with the stock 20A to see how it holds up. After 2 days of driving (and getting on it pretty hard) the fuse hasn't blown. I will feel much safer using the 20A fuse for a circuit that was designed for it.

We tested the voltage with the car running to make sure the Magnavolt wasn't malfunctioning and boosting 17 volts all the time, and everything appears to be working correctly. The pump is getting the correct amount of power under normal conditions, and the ground for the circuit tested out perfect so that is not an issue.

I will be monitoring this connection for some time to make sure there are no signs of a repeat issue. I will provide some updates on how the 20A fuse is holding up. If it works fine, then I would have to recommend that anyone with a maggie and magnavolt go back to the stock 20A fuse for protection against something like this.

PISNUOFF Guest

So where was the fuel leaking from? Was there a hole melted in the pump housing, tank itself, a line or something?

ctsv154 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device

He said it was coming out of the hole. Replaced the pump and connector and problems all gone.

Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF View Post
    So where was the fuel leaking from? Was there a hole melted in the pump housing, tank itself, a line or something?
    The fuel was leaking through that hole that was melted in the housing. You can see it in the pictures in the first post of this thread. Here is a video of the original leak.

[YOUTUBE]bCTlpq30Ri4[/YOUTUBE]

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

Quote Originally Posted by CTSV_510 View Post
    In case anyone is interested....here is some info for cutting a hole for access to the fuel pump/

To start the hole, use a regular drill with a drill stop on it so that it can only go down about and 1/8" just to get through the sheet metal. You don't want to go too far because you could damage the electrical wiring, sending unit or the tank itself. This picture is looking in from the passenger rear door at the area below the rear passenger seat:

I cut the hole out with tin snips - the metal is very thin and very soft so it was very easy. The lock ring that holds the fuel pump assembly in is a pain to get off. I cut the hole a little bigger at the top of the picture to get a 10" piece of copper pipe at a good angle on the ring to break it loose. Use a big hammer for this - I used a mini sledge and you have to whack it really really hard or you're wasting your time. You will see that I cut the plastic fuel line connection because I was replacing the whole assembly. If you're re-using these parts, you may have to cut the hole bigger in a different spot to get a good angle on the lock ring.

If it's not already there, the mods should put this in the FAQ thread. Guys looking to go big might find this helpful.

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

Indeed they will. Thanks for posting this up, 510.
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

nmaier2201 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Thanks for the measurements on where to chop up the back seat... If my pump ever dies I will MUCH rather cut that up replace it and then tack in some other metal plate as a band aid.

and now thanks to you I'll know exactly where to cut.

Another forum member just had the same issue last week with a stock fuel system (no magnavolt, no supercharger).

Hopefully it doesn't become more common as these cars age.

Albertan is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac CTS REDLINE 2006 CTS-V Infared

Melting the electrical connection at the fuel pump is a common fault with some GM vehicles. This is the first I've heard
    for a Cadillac. Fellow I work with spent a long time with fuel pump problems before finding it was the melted plug. (His was a minivan)

CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq

Well I added a Walbro 255 along with the Racetronix hot wire kit yesterday/today and thought I'd add my pics to this thread.

All in all this wasn't terrible to do but did end up taking longer than I thought it would (what mod doesn't though). A few things to consider:

Be extra careful hammering with the copper pipe. I was wacking the business out of mine and didn't realize it had split and started cutting into the tank. A few more millimeters and I'd have been through the top of the tank!

If you plan to reuse the sheet metal like a door then cut BIG the first time. I had to cut another strip and then a small piece in the corner. It still closed up decently but I'd like to have had ONE nice rectangle to fold in/out.

I would definitely do it this way vice dropping the tank. The "door" seals up nicely (see pic) and without thinking about what it is it matches up to the other aluminum tape spots under the seat.

First "nice" cut.

Reference to fuse box pic.

Everything zip tied up out of the way.

The angle I had luck with.

Some randoms of the fuel assembly for the guys in the fuel pickup thread.

All buttoned up!

8's on a drag radial is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I just experienced the same problem. Filled my tank up, got home and it was leaking. Once it burned a gallon or two it stopped leaking, but starting stalling a bunch while driving. I cut the inspection hole and it had the burned plug.

I'm not sure where the fuel leak is coming from, but I ordered the pump and pigtail from Lindsay Cadillac and will replace.

Thanks for the info...this thread was very useful.

verywhitedevil is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V

Quote Originally Posted by CTSV_510 View Post
    Another forum member just had the same issue last week with a stock fuel system (no magnavolt, no supercharger).

Hopefully it doesn't become more common as these cars age.
    looks like it is starting to happen. mine did this over the weekend. stock fuel system w 42lb green tops.

so purchased the entire fuel pump assembly, just in case.

I thought I was only doing a fuel pump upgrade/install until I looked under the car and saw fuel pouring out.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.