Drive train noise after pinion seal is replaced
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Drive train noise after pinion seal is replaced in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I just took our 2005 CTS-V into the shop to have the pinion seal replaced (leaking). They replaced the seal ...
    3Fletch is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Drive train noise after pinion seal is replaced

I just took our 2005 CTS-V into the shop to have the pinion seal replaced (leaking). They replaced the seal and now I have a drive train noise when I let off the accelerator. This was never present before in fact it was very quiet and now it sounds terrible but only when I let off the gas (mostly 1-3 gears) not much noise If any in the other gears. Anyone have any ideas? I can only guess the driveline was not indexed correctly when they reinstalled it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Drive train noise after pinion seal is replaced

Quote Originally Posted by 3Fletch View Post
    I just took our 2005 CTS-V into the shop to have the pinion seal replaced (leaking). They replaced the seal and now I have a drive train noise when I let off the accelerator. This was never present before in fact it was very quiet and now it sounds terrible but only when I let off the gas (mostly 1-3 gears) not much noise If any in the other gears. Anyone have any ideas? I can only guess the driveline was not indexed correctly when they reinstalled it!
    I think your guess (indexing) is the most likely. It could be a conincidence and you simply have another, independent problem, but I doubt it. I would take it back to the shop first.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

"Indexing" is the least of your worries.
    With CV joints and pretty good symmetry indexing is not really required these days even though GM tries to convince us it is a magic cure all.

My guess would be they left something loose or just didn't install it properly.
    Some overlooked items are the bolts in the carrier bearing, improper torque on the front and rear fasteners, or mispositioned exhaust, particularly if you have an aftermarket exhaust system.

At any rate, whatever we tell you is speculation, you should get that car back to them post-haste!

Thanks guys! I am trying to get it in today. It has a Corsa exhaust so that could be a possibility also. I would think that replacing the seal would be fairly simple in fact I almost did it myself but did not have the time.

Stepside is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 DTS performance; CowboyCadillac='12 SVT Raptor

Hmmm, I wonder if they changed the gear oil or forgot to put the right oil and/or additive in it.
    Back to the Shop.

chadeberly is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

It sounds like they overtightend your pinion nut. There is a certain ft lbs. it is supposed to be torqued to. Sounds like they just hit it with an impact when they were re-installing it. I would take it back and have them loosen the pinion nut and re torque with a torque wrench. If overtightend it can cause a whine or a slight beeeeeeep noise as you drive. The noise you hearing is because they have actually pulled the shaft a little forward therefore changing the factory spec'd shim. Usually wont cause premature wear but is a sign of incorrectly set-up diff. and can be annoying.

chadeberly is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

oh and the reason you dont hear it at higher speed or in a higher gear is because of road noise. It's still there you just can't hear it. Oh and I am not a know it all, I did this on my car when I updated my pinion seal and flange, so i did some research and bought a nifty book on Differentials from barnes and nobles. (also to help with my 8.8 build). Good luck.

Well, they figured it out! The pinion nut was loose!!!!! They said we don't know how it loosened up! Well the noise was immediate, so they never tightened it correctly! They told me that it is good to go! I'll let you all know if it is all better when I pick it up! That's what I get for taking it to the local Certified dealer that should know how to
    work on them right!

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

As I read through some replies I figured it out.
    They probably did one of two things, used an impact and didn't pay attention or put a torque wrench on it before it was all the way down.
    I see a lot of guys not using the torque wrench.
    The torque is 210 lb. ft, pretty stout.

The noise you heard was the pinion hitting the diff carrier most likely, when the gears were unloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by ewill3rd View Post
    As I read through some replies I figured it out.
    They probably did one of two things, used an impact and didn't pay attention or put a torque wrench on it before it was all the way down.
    I see a lot of guys not using the torque wrench.
    The torque is 210 lb. ft, pretty stout.

The noise you heard was the pinion hitting the diff carrier most likely, when the gears were unloaded.
    I agree!

Well we got the car back and it's it's quiet as a mouse now! However there is a vibration in 5th and 6th gear at 65 mph. I am assuming that the driveline did not get indexed correctly. I did a search and it says to line up the white and blue marks. Does anyone know of some pictures to help with this? I will do it myself and stay away from the dealership!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.