Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Custom short shifter ordering process.

165K views 792 replies 196 participants last post by  07cadv 
G
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here is how to order one of my custom modified stock shifters. The final cost is $110 + your stock shifter with a $75 core charge. I also offer the UUC bushings (that I purchase from Luke and keep in stock) for an additional $30. These make a huge difference and are highly recommended.

1. Paypal either $185 or $215 to ........................ Be sure to include the reason why you're sending me the money and your shipping address in the notes section of the transaction.

2. I'll ship you a modified shifter via USPS Priority Mail (2-3 day shipping). I include detailed directions, a drill bit to drill out the stock rivets, new stainless steel hardware to replace the rivets, a tube of white lithium grease and a tube of lok-tite.

3. Swap out your old shifter with the new one and return your stock one to me. Please try to include the small items attached to the rectangular end, these include two nylon bushings, two rubber seals and one metal sleeve.

4. Upon receipt of your stock shifter I will refund the core charge of $75 via the same Paypal transaction.

#315 ·
still haven't tried to ream them yet...I will but don't have a drill bit that fits 'almost perfectly' so instead of bouncing around in there with a smaller bit, I may go ahead and invest in one of those dremel tools and use one of the cone shaped grinder attachment...or, I may just lube it and force it in there. Only problem with that option is it may not come out. Not sure if I want to do that yet, but I definitely don't want any play. that piece that the brass bushings fit in does move straight up and down a bit, maybe 1/32- 1/16 inch.. but does not clockwise/counterclockwise at all, which creates the "last bit of play" that one feels when moving the knob back and forth even when they have a short shifter. I don't think I can do anything about that up and down that's left short of replacing that whole rod/piece-I tried to remove even after removing the snap ring and couldn't), so not going to worry about it right now.

I did get the linkage bars out, thanks...there was alot of back and forth play with those bars where they attached to the trans- so I got some PVC pieces that fit perfectly in the spaces where the rubber bushings were, pressed them in and pressed the metal bushing back in, then shaved a tiny amount off the sides so they would fit perfectly back into the trans mounts...result, absolutely no back and forth play. They still move up/down as necessary for drivetrain movement.

short of replacing that rod/piece that MIGHT be a factor, that about does it for shifter play improvement. There is nothing else you can do...

#317 · (Edited)
Won't know for a while, the car is turn apart and I'm not very motivated to put it back together right now.. But I will update once I do.

I expect the brass bushings a few posts up to make a nice difference-probably take that last remaining ~1" of side to side at the knob down to at least 1/2 to 1/4 inch.. but the grey ones just above, not so much since those 2 linkage arms are pretty secure already. Those will simply add to the overall firmness.

Most of the side to side play in our shifters comes from the 2 linkage points from the center arm that connects the shift stalk and the trans. A shirt shifter and/or new linkage bushings for the part that connects to the stalk cures most of it and the brass ones further improve (or should). Theres still a tiny amount of play left because the part that connects the shift rod coming from the trans to the linkage arm moves a tiny bit, and general geometry angles.

The uuc bushings help too, but more for getting into 1st and reverse and only if you're stock ones are toast.

The improved pivot point on new shifters is what gives you the shorter throws.

#328 ·
Has it really been 3 months since one has been shipped? I'd really like to get one of these, has anyone had any contact with the seller? I'd consider taking the shifter out of my car and sending it to him however I wouldn't want it down for weeks at a time.

#336 ·
I placed an order with Brian a few weeks ago and was informed there were currently 2 people ahead of me and that the wait should be about 4 weeks. Looking at the last few months of posts, it appears it may be longer. From what I have gathered on here, is the waiting list the following:

1st - Scott96LT1 (Ordered July 2001)
2nd - Sigfod (Ordered Aug 2011)
3rd - me (Ordered Late Oct. 2011)

Is this correct?

#338 ·
I waited 4 months for mine because I got unlucky and was behind a few people that took forever to send in cores. It was WELL worth the wait though! I'm sure Brian will take care of you guys.

#345 ·
IS there a thread that shows what is actually done to the shifters? Doesn't sound like its terribly complicated, and I'm not trying to under-sell Brian, but if he seems to be MIA and people want the product it might be good finding an alternative way to make the piece.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.