Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Custom short shifter ordering process.

165K views 792 replies 196 participants last post by  07cadv 
G
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here is how to order one of my custom modified stock shifters. The final cost is $110 + your stock shifter with a $75 core charge. I also offer the UUC bushings (that I purchase from Luke and keep in stock) for an additional $30. These make a huge difference and are highly recommended.

1. Paypal either $185 or $215 to ........................ Be sure to include the reason why you're sending me the money and your shipping address in the notes section of the transaction.

2. I'll ship you a modified shifter via USPS Priority Mail (2-3 day shipping). I include detailed directions, a drill bit to drill out the stock rivets, new stainless steel hardware to replace the rivets, a tube of white lithium grease and a tube of lok-tite.

3. Swap out your old shifter with the new one and return your stock one to me. Please try to include the small items attached to the rectangular end, these include two nylon bushings, two rubber seals and one metal sleeve.

4. Upon receipt of your stock shifter I will refund the core charge of $75 via the same Paypal transaction.

#285 ·
One more core heading your way Brian.

G
#287 ·
I will have the next 4 ready to ship next Wednesday.

Wait list:

1. Nathan - Shipping next week.
2. Daniel - Shipping next week.
3. Scott - Shipping next week.
4. Jonathan - Shipping next week.
5. Garrett

#289 ·
For you all that are waiting, this shifter is well worth the wait. I cant believe it took me over 4 years to order this.

#294 ·
this is my best mod yet, i just installed it on friday
alsolutley night and day difference. i bought mine used from a member who sold his car locally, and never got around to install it.
pisnuoff your shifters are a work of art!
one question, i have a core for you, will you credit me a core for it, i have the orignal purchasers email and information if you need that, send me an email at jonolds72@hotmail.com and let me know and i will ship the core to you on monday

#295 ·
I finally got around to (attempting) the install of the linkage bushings at the trans connection. Pita with the trans in. I may have to remove it to do this..., bummer but it seems inevitable since I also need to pull my clutch/fw for a balance.

For those wondering,
Brian sells bushings for the piece that connects the linkage arm to the trans. This arm connects much the same way as it does at the base of the shifter.. The part that goes through this hole is similar in form to the bolt used at the other side, but is fixed to the arm and is held in simply by a clip, not a nut. The result, the bushings wear out and it moves around in this housing causing play back at the knob. Fixing this should be similar improvement to fixing the looseness at the base of the shifter using the delrin replacement bushings, just that much more precise...

Brian, a few questions:

How did you guys get the old ones out?. I've tried prying a sharp knife in there to start them, and I also used needle nose pliers.. both with no luck. Seems like the original ones are plastic of some kind, you think I could torch/heat that piece and make them soft enough to remove?

Also,
I tried to test fit one but it wouldn't go on- Will I need to file the edges and/or lube to get the pin in? Are they so perfect in measurement I may just be a hair off on the entry angle? Same question goes for when I go to put then in the housing, I noticed they are beveled, so I hope my 04 is the same as your 07.

I can't wait, the remaining slop will be gone after these are installed!! The old ones have worn out. I knew it just didn't feel the same anymore.......once this is done, it will be as tight a shifter one can get.

G
#296 ·
You have to drill the stock ones out. Also, you have to press the new ones in. This can be done with a block of wood and a hammer. Once installed, you will have to ream out the bushings to match the linkage stud. Make it so that it will just barely insert into the bushings. Let me know if you ream it too much.

#312 · (Edited)
got them in... wasn't too bad drilling the plastic one out. Once you get most of it, then the outer edges, it slides out. I used a wood chisel in the groove and pushed the old one out..

I haven't tried to ream the inside of the bushings yet...how do you recommend?. I'm afraid I would take too much material away and end up back at square one...so I might try to remove that snap ring and take the swivel piece off, put it in a vise, lube the stud, and hammer it in there...I don't want any play. I'm not worried about it coming out, it doesn't really need to in order to take out or put the trans in. That is, if it'll even come off. Haven't tried yet. I noticed that there's some play in this swivel piece too...may not be able to do anything about that...

how do you get this part of the linkage off? I think I remember NormV replacing these circled in red with some home depot bushings or something...there's significant play here as well. Not sure how much it affects the shifting but it all adds up.

edit, may not matter, since the other end is the plate that bolts firmly to the floor. Then again why add the uuc bushings.. So it might help, but may be too much trouble in the end..

G
#302 ·
All of this is on the first post of this thread.

Here are the basics. The shifter is $185 with a core charge of $115. The shifter comes with new/redesigned bushing assembly in the base. The throw is reduced by approximately 35%, the knob height is lowered by 1/2" and the side to side slop is dramatically reduced.

The ordering process starts by sending $300 via paypal to br_1868(@)hotmail(dot)com which puts you on the waiting list. As cores return, I modify and ship them within two days. You then swap out your shifter for the modified one and send back your stock one. Once I receive it, I will refund your $115 core deposit.

The current wait time is about 3-6 weeks. There is also the option of sending me your shifter to be modified. This will bypass the wait list and the core charge. I will have it modified and on it's way back to you within two days and I usually ship via USPS 2-3 day Priority mail.

I do not carry the UUC polyurethane bushings anymore, so you'll have to purchase them directly from Luke at Lindsay Cadillac if you want a set.

Brian

#304 ·
Im pretty sure of the answer but I though Id ask anyway....do you have any cores ready to be shipped out? If not how many people would be ahead of me on your waiting list. I know you said the turn around time is 3-6 weeks but some people are more slow to ship back their core shifters. Also when you send out your short shifter do you replace the bottom bushing in the core shifters to stop the side to side slop?

G
#305 ·
3-6 weeks is the current wait time based on the number of cores I have out and when I shipped them out. I replace the bushings in the base of the shifters. There is more information in the post that is two before yours, #302.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.