Review: PISNUOFF's Custom Short Shifter
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Review: PISNUOFF's Custom Short Shifter in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I recently purchased and installed PISNUOFF’s custom modified short shifter and promised I'd write a review after I installed it ...
    egypt123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Review: PISNUOFF's Custom Short Shifter

I recently purchased and installed PISNUOFF’s custom modified short shifter and promised I'd write a review after I installed it and had time to test it. So here goes... Let me preface this post by saying I’m no mechanic so I went into this project with much trepidation. I contacted Brian and expressed an interest in his custom short shifter. After a few emails back-and-forth and reassurance from Brian, I got up the courage to dive in and try it out. Brian was in constant communication and seemed always within reach if I had a question or needed a boost in confidence (Thanks, Brian!).

The Shifter:
    The build quality is very nice. It is definitely shorter than the stock shifter and the lower portion of the ‘stalk’ is longer (which makes the shift throw shorter, I suppose). It is definitely an improvement in build quality over the home modified shifter where folks weld a metal block or tube on the bottom of the stock shifter linkage block. This was all one piece and looks finely honed and machined. It looks like a manufactured production shifter, not a home-modified shifter. What I also like about it is it has added weight and is heavier than the stock shifter. I may even try to add more weight later (shouldn't be too difficult adding a little weight on the top stalk directly under the shift-boot). I’d rate the build quality a 10.

Installation:
    Again, this had me a bit concerned. Like I said, I’m no mechanic but I’m not afraid to try something I know I can do, undo, or fix if I have the time. However, my experience doing these sorts of things usually results in cut hands and/or fingers, and few thrown tools and/or numerous expletives tossed around. In this case, the install went smooth as ice with little to no injuries or expletives. Brian added some great instructions in the package and the install was exactly as the instructions stated. There is a part of the install that requires you to drill out a few rivets, but even that was no problem for a novice like me. The most difficult part I had was getting the metal bracket back over the new UUC bushings I put in. A little bit of grease and some grinding down on the front ends of the bushings did the trick. The install took about an hour for me, but that was mostly because I took extra time and care drilling out the rivets. A novice can do this install, but you will need a friend to help tighten down the new mounting bolting (where the rivets used to be). Installation difficulty I would rate a 4 (fairly easy).

Driving Experience:
    Wow, what an improvement! The shift throw is much shorter than the throw of the stock shifter. I’d say from 1rst to 2nd gear is about 3.5 to 4.0 inches now. Smooth shifts, shorter throw, lower/shorter top stalk and more shifter weight makes for a much better driving experience! I’d rate the improvement a 10.

So there goes... I'd certainly recommend getting this shifter if you're in the market and either don't want to hack your stock shifter or pay a premium on a UUC or B&M. Big thanks to Brian for a great shifter and all the help!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

2manycars is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

Re: Review: PISNUOFF's Custom Short Shifter

Very Cool!

Thanks for the review!!

Brain, as soon as I find the deal I am after on a V, I will be ordering one of these from you.

CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq

Cool thanks for the information. Now I need someone who has a UUC installed and does this one AND says its better (albeit not by much I couldn't imagine) then I can put mine up on ebay and use the money for something else!

PISNUOFF Guest

I swapped my UUC for this, but you might think my opinion is biased so I won't say much. I'll just say that I sold my UUC for $100 afterwards. There is someone swapping out a B&M shifter for one of mine soon. I'm sure he'll post a comparison.

BTW - Thanks for the review Egypt123.

ichpen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Is it shorter than the uuc? I'm looking at going as short as possible.

PISNUOFF Guest
    It is shorter than the UUC and B&M shifters. The bottom has been extended as far as it can be without hitting the driveshaft. The throw as measured without the knob from 3-4 is about 3.25" vs 3.5 for B&M and about 4" for UUC. I can also make you a totally custom one that will definitely get you past your goal of 3". PM me or send me an email to .................... and we can figure something out.

It is shorter than the UUC and B&M shifters. The bottom has been extended as far as it can be without hitting the driveshaft. The throw as measured without the knob from 3-4 is about 3.25" vs 3.5 for B&M and about 4" for UUC. I can also make you a totally custom one that will definitely get you past your goal of 3". PM me or send me an email to ....................... and we can figure something out.

It is shorter than the UUC and B&M shifters. The bottom has been extended as far as it can be without hitting the driveshaft. The throw as measured without the knob from 3-4 is about 3.25" vs 3.5 for B&M and about 4" for UUC. I can also make you a totally custom one that will definitely get you past your goal of 3". PM me or send me an email to ..................... and we can figure something out.

CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

well well well, look at all these uuc guys jumping ship.

CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq

Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF View Post
    It is shorter than the UUC and B&M shifters. The bottom has been extended as far as it can be without hitting the driveshaft. The throw as measured without the knob from 3-4 is about 3.25" vs 3.5 for B&M and about 4" for UUC. I can also make you a totally custom one that will definitely get you past your goal of 3". PM me or send me an email to .................. and we can figure something out.
    It is shorter than the UUC and B&M shifters. The bottom has been extended as far as it can be without hitting the driveshaft. The throw as measured without the knob from 3-4 is about 3.25" vs 3.5 for B&M and about 4" for UUC. I can also make you a totally custom one that will definitely get you past your goal of 3". PM me or send me an email to ................. and we can figure something out.
    It is shorter than the UUC and B&M shifters. The bottom has been extended as far as it can be without hitting the driveshaft. The throw as measured without the knob from 3-4 is about 3.25" vs 3.5 for B&M and about 4" for UUC. I can also make you a totally custom one that will definitely get you past your goal of 3". PM me or send me an email to ................. and we can figure something out.
    Alright, alright calm down! J/k forums have been fugged up lately for me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CadzillaTN View Post
    well well well, look at all these uuc guys jumping ship.
    Not jumping ship at all I love my UUC and have only one complaint, the price. That being said if I could sell my UUC (was hoping more north of $100...) then I may be inclined to do so and pick up PISSNUOFF's. Probably just an idea though as I already have the UUC and the hole in my wallet.

PISNUOFF Guest

Yeah, combination of forum and stupid iPhone.

bjv
    bjv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 cts-v

Sounds good. Are any more of these available?

liqidvenom is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): cts-v

so.... i dont see a thread with ordering info.

PISNUOFF Guest

Sorry, it was on another one but I'll start a new one.

Cobrahunter is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Black Cts-V

How much side to side slop while in gear??

egypt123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrahunter View Post
    How much side to side slop while in gear??
    Mine is about 1/2" to 3/4" at the top of the shifter. I'm not sure how much play is good or bad, but mine is definitely less than what it was when I had the stock shifter.

Being the novice I am, wouldn't the bushings factor into this? I replaced mine with brand new UUC bushings. I'm still trying to figure out what the heck the bushings do...??? They don't appear to move at all since they're connected to the shifter mounting bracket. With that, I'm not sure what new ones give you over the old ones unless the old ones are completely broken apart, and what their functional role is... Reduce vibration, perhaps???

PISNUOFF Guest

It's reduced the same percentage as the fore and aft throws. Plus the UUC bushings don't allow the whole assembly to rock side to side as much as the stock ones.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.