Review: PISNUOFF's Custom Short Shifter - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Review: PISNUOFF's Custom Short Shifter in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; You don't have to remove all of that to change the shifter. It is kind of tight and awkward to ...
    PISNUOFF Guest

Re: Review: PISNUOFF's Custom Short Shifter

You don't have to remove all of that to change the shifter. It is kind of tight and awkward to get your hands around the stock exhaust resonator to loosen/tighten the lower linkage bolt. The whole job should not take more than 1.5 hours your first time. I swapped one out for a local guy last month and it took about 25 minutes. You definitely want an assistant to install the two bolts that replace the rivets, though.

PrelateBishop is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF View Post

You don't have to remove all of that to change the shifter. It is kind of tight and awkward to get your hands around the stock exhaust resonator to loosen/tighten the lower linkage bolt. The whole job should not take more than 1.5 hours your first time. I swapped one out for a local guy last month and it took about 25 minutes. You definitely want an assistant to install the two bolts that replace the rivets, though.
    Whew!

Ok, that makes me feel a lot better. Thanks for the info.

Natedog is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac CTS-V Series

Quote Originally Posted by ELES6CTS View Post
    Did you disconnect the drive shaft, tranny brace and lower the tranny? Or, just the exhaust?
    No no... i only took the exhaust off the hangers at the back of the car to give me a bit more room to get my hands up to the linkage bolt. If i had a 2nd pair of hands it would have gone much faster without a doubt

ELES6CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Good to hear Brian. Although, would it make it easier if the stock resonator section was out and just an X pipe was in there....Hopefully this is a yes so I can go get something else done too

PISNUOFF Guest

It's alot easier to get your forearms past an x-pipe instead of the stock resonator.

soflarick is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): none

I've done this shifter as well as an B&M shifter by myself without having to remove a lot of things. You remove the center console and shift boot. Trick I found to doing it with one person is to hold up the shifter mount with a couple zip ties to keep it level. That will allow access to the nut and bolt while you're under the car to be easier. I didn't remove any exhaust components, just the center console.

PISNUOFF Guest

I leave the console in too. You can get to everything through the shifter boot opening.

dmilamj is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V Platinum

This took me about 1 1/2 hours, working alone.

I think if I did it again I would remove the center console. It comes out pretty easily, and I think it would make getting the cross brace onto those damn bushings alot easier...

I found that the best way to get to the bolt on the bottom of the shifter was to lie completely under the car, with my feet pointed towards the front. Then I could work my hands up past the resonator/driveshaft on both sides.

A gearwrech type box end wrench makes it a lot easier, too.

When reattaching the shift ball hold-down with the two bolts, I used some tape on the top side to hold the bolts in place so that I could get underneath the car and thread on the nuts. Then I tightened them down from the top using a socket and a closed end wrench.

I waited until the very end to reattach the bushings, because that allowed me to slide the metal bracket forward, out of the way, and have some more room to access the top and bottom of the shift tray from the top.

Then I chamfered the bushings, greased them up, and proceeded to curse like a sailor for 15 minutes trying to get the damn bracket back on. Eventually it went.

I forgot to plug the big electrical connector back together again until the next morning when I was going to go to work, whoops no nav!

All told, a pretty smooth install, and the shifter is frickin' great. Although, it might be a bit too short for my taste, but still way better than the stock.

wcryan is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V Maggied

Updated list?

PISNUOFF Guest

1. Brent - In the mail
    2. Johnny - In the mail
    3. Darcy - In the mail tomorrow (4/20)
    4. Chris
    5. Shawn
    6. David
    7. Ryan
    8. Shane
    9. Joe
    10. Erik

CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

i found my old stock shifter in my shed this weekend. it's a bit rusted on the shaft, not sure how that happened but it seems to be fine otherwise. not sure if it's a keeper but i can send it in to the chop shop if needed.

i also have a stock knob with the stiff crusty pleather attached. im sellin that though, $5 OBO

ELES6CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

It's alot easier to get your forearms past an x-pipe instead of the stock resonator.

wcryan is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V Maggied

Thanks

SuperVeee is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

1. Brent - In the mail
    2. Johnny - In the mail
    3. Darcy - In the mail tomorrow (4/20)
    4. Chris
    5. Shawn
    6. David
    7. Ryan
    8. Shane
    9. Joe
    10. Erik
    Just got mine yesterday (#1 above) and should have time to install tomorrow.

Hopefully I will have the old shifter in the mail on Monday so we can knock another off the list above.

Natedog is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac CTS-V Series

Mine is on the way back. You should have it tomorrow Brian.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.