Review: PISNUOFF's Custom Short Shifter - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Review: PISNUOFF's Custom Short Shifter in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by 2manycars Did you have Randy shorten it? If you did, you will lose some leverage in doing ...
    2manycars is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none
    Quote Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
    Did you have Randy shorten it?

If you did, you will lose some leverage in doing that.
    Ah Geezz... sorry Brian!

I knew better from when we were PMing each other. Had just got off the phone with my buddy Randy... when I typed this out on my Droid. Had Randy on the brain.

garrettg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

Re: Review: PISNUOFF's Custom Short Shifter

A week with the modified shifter. I am much more use to it, meaning it doesn't feel like it takes near the effort to shift through the gears now with the change in leverage. The overall height of the shift level is good, not sure I would want it lower as some have done or higher like back to stock height. The direct feeling of the shifter is great; exactly as intended. I don't have any additional road noise but the gears do feel more like they are clicked into per say more than slid into with the stock shifter. I am more comfortable with going after 5th gear in anger now and also easier to know if I properly have it in 1st or R.

Vet+BB=V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): BMW M3, waiting for my next V.

Installed my short shifter today from PSNUOFF, and UUC shifter bushings. I must say it makes a tremendous improvement. After I pulled out of the shop for the first time, I swear the sun was shining brighter, the birds were singing louder, and the smile across my face could not have been any larger. My stock shifter would nearly hit the trim when shifting into 2-4-6. Now there is a mile of clearance.
    As far as the play that everyone ask's about. There is some "play" when in neutral or in gear. However the play is compounded by an obscure over designed linkage setup. From what I can tell most of what I am experiencing is from the shifter input connection at the trans. Were the shift linkage connects to the the tranny shift shaft. I didn't measure the amount of play, but also don't shake my shifter around looking for it, except in this instance. I haven't noticed the play when driving, nor do I think it affects the shifting of the car.

To surmise the above statement. The shifter is fantastic. Brian was awesome to work with and I couldn't be happier.

soflarick is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): none

I recently swapped in one of his shifters as well. There's a bit of side to side play while in gear, but nothing I'd consider really annoying. Being a bit tighter would be nice, but I attribute it to the OEM shifter socket design. Perhaps a little tape around the white plastic ball cage before putting the black metal cap on it would tighten up the cage around the ball. The shorter shifting is excellent, Brian was great with shipping, emails, etc. Short shifts, OEM quiet at all rpms, and cheap.

PISNUOFF Guest

I have recently found out that the UUC transmission mount is approx. 3/8" taller than the stock transmission mount. This will cause, among other things, the linkage to contact the driveshaft coupler when my shifter is used. There is a way to make my shifter work with it but will require a spacer (which I will supply) and two 1"x1" pieces to be cut from the upper plastic hold down plate.

There should be no issues with the CS transmission mounts as they are the same height at stock.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and if anyone has purchased one of my shifters, has the UUC trans mount and is not willing to modify their hold down plate contact me for a full refund.

Thanks,
    Brian
    Attached Images

Vet+BB=V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): BMW M3, waiting for my next V.

Hmmm, I think I recognize the guy in that picture? He kinda looks like me! Glad I could help Brian!

PISNUOFF Guest

Thanks Jason. I sent you an email saying I was borrowing it.

Gucci05V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF View Post
    I have recently found out that the UUC transmission mount is approx. 3/8" taller than the stock transmission mount. This will cause, among other things, the linkage to contact the driveshaft coupler when my shifter is used...
    Brian, I have one of your shifters on order as well as the Creative Steel 'Caddy-Soft' transmission mount (along with gray MMs and diff bushing). Do you think I'll have issues similar to the UUC mount? I don't have it yet to measure, but I think it is a little taller than stock as well.

ELES6CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Will this shifter help to get the car into 1st and R when I want it to?

Shawn

PISNUOFF Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gucci05V View Post
    Brian, I have one of your shifters on order as well as the Creative Steel 'Caddy-Soft' transmission mount (along with gray MMs and diff bushing). Do you think I'll have issues similar to the UUC mount? I don't have it yet to measure, but I think it is a little taller than stock as well.
    No problem at all with the CS mount. They make them to the exact dimension as the stock one. That way there isn't any additional driveline vibration introduced as a result of misalignment either.

Quote Originally Posted by ELES6CTS View Post
    Will this shifter help to get the car into 1st and R when I want it to?

Shawn
    Not really. You'll be able to find where the gates are easier, but passing through them won't be easier. Sounds like your issue is internal to the trans or you need to flush your clutch fluid.

ELES6CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Not really. You'll be able to find where the gates are easier, but passing through them won't be easier. Sounds like your issue is internal to the trans or you need to flush your clutch fluid.
    I just sent you the money for the shifter and bushing Brian. I will try a flush too.

Shawn

garrettg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

Another update: I was able to flush and bleed the clutch fluid. As many have stated the difference is night and day, after flushing much less effort is needed to get the shifter into the gates. I am very pleased with this short shifter and effort required to select gears.

SuperVeee is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I spent a couple hours tonight diagnosing the issue and found the problem and a solution. The problem was worn nylon bushings on a couple of the returned stock shifters. Some of them had the o-rings completely demolished and the nylon wore out. I am having my die shop fab up some new ones to take up the excess clearance on the olderer returned shifters. I don't think anyone else's had this issue, but if anyone feels there is excess movement I'll be more than happy to send them new bushings.

Adam Boca - I have a Power Point file that I can email to you. It's too large to attach here. My email address is: .....................
    I'm really itching to get my hands on that shifter. So did you get the parts necessary to fix the returned (worn nylon bushings) stock shifters so you can ship one to me?

PISNUOFF Guest

Every shifter that I have shipped since March 8 has been checked for worn bushings and repaired if bad.

SuperVee - Do you have one on order? I currently have about a 2 week wait for shifters.

SuperVeee is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Every shifter that I have shipped since March 8 has been checked for worn bushings and repaired if bad.

SuperVee - Do you have one on order? I currently have about a 2 week wait for shifters.
    Ordered on March 15 paypal confirmed $215.
    1" shorter, modified V shifter with UUC bushings. Thanks, Brent....
    Hopefully the one I ship back to you doesn't need the bushings repaired.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.